IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Phoenix Reclinata Palm planting work _ Yr 2014

Kris

(Phoenix Reclinata Palm planting work year 2014)

Dear Driends,

Here is a video of Phoenix Reclinata Palm planting.And stills of it will be uploaded when time permits.

Love,

kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

It's nice to see you back to "work". :greenthumb:

• Upvote 1

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Kris, do you use native soil as backfill or you brought new more fertile soil? I see that you have also removed all stones from the soil you have dug out. I am not sure whether this is beneficial in every case!

• Upvote 1

Dear Konstantinos,

During the recent plantings the soil that was dug up was once again used as refill.We ammend soil only for Date palms,CIDP,Washies as these palms like drier feet(Dry root region).

And in this video at the background you see various soil and granite rocks those were got while digging this hole,since in this place we planted a fairly big sized Blue hasper palm.Which eventually died due to wet tropical rainy season,coastal humidity and less sunshine due to the surrounding dicot trees.We have chopped and reduced the size of those dicot trees just to be safe with our new palm plantings.photos of those will be upload later.

Love,

kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Dear Konstantinos,

During the recent plantings the soil that was dug up was once again used as refill.We ammend soil only for Date palms,CIDP,Washies as these palms like drier feet(Dry root region).

And in this video at the background you see various soil and granite rocks those were got while digging this hole,since in this place we planted a fairly big sized Blue hasper palm.Which eventually died due to wet tropical rainy season,coastal humidity and less sunshine due to the surrounding dicot trees.We have chopped and reduced the size of those dicot trees just to be safe with our new palm plantings.photos of those will be upload later.

Love,

kris.

I think that you shoud have used rather another drainig material for Brahea armata instead of rocks. On my Brahea armata I have used a thick layer of gravel up to the surface and little plant looked like it loved it from the the very first moment it got outplanted. Not that you would have avoided failure by necessity, just a better start...

• Upvote 1

Dear Konstantinos,

Your Suggestion fully taken.If i plant a Brahea Armata Palm again i will try what you have said and thanks.

Dear Robert Burky,

Thanks for visiting.

Love,

kris.

Edited by Kris

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Kris,

You rock!!! Thanks for sharing your video with us all.

Also, how's married life treating you? I hope great!! :)

• Upvote 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Kris,

You rock!!! Thanks for sharing your video with us all.

Also, how's married life treating you? I hope great!! :)

Dear Double O Seven.

Thanks very much and its a pleasure having you in our threads.

And about my married life,we are all doing fine.But free time is what is lacking at the moment.But its far better than living a lonely life.

Here is a still of my family,though not recent...

post-108-0-66718800-1389942715_thumb.jpg

Wish you and your family a happy Newyear.

Love,

kris.

Edited by Kris

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 1 month later...

Kris, very nice link above about the history of this plant. I always love growth history of palm specimens :wub2: But I see that you have changed your opinion over the years, since you had been thinking at first that it was a hybrid (reclinata x CIDP). I have also read the link to Dave's Garden about this kind of hybrid, and I admit that a doubtlesly reclinata hybrid of mine has also CIDP in it according to this description.

In the pics below my hybrid

post-6141-0-45129400-1393087093_thumb.jppost-6141-0-59525700-1393087135_thumb.jp

So far so good one may think, but I backcrossed it with another female reclinata of mine

Below pic of my reclinata

post-6141-0-08762700-1393087297_thumb.jp

... and one of the offsprings has already bloomed at a very, very, very young age and its male inflorescence was identically fragrant like the one of a dactylifera (male hybrid does not have fragrant flowers)!!!!! Admittedly I am not familiar with genuine reclinata's male inflorescences, but if they are not fragrant then the identity of original Phonix spss involved in my hybrid or even the purity of my female reclinata become questionable...

• Upvote 1

Here are pics of the 5 offsprings I have outplanted (three together and another two together). The plant in the first pic has produced the fragrant male inflorescence. Out of the five specimens only one has already started suckering.

post-6141-0-06437900-1393088258_thumb.jp

post-6141-0-00312800-1393088293_thumb.jp

post-6141-0-79286100-1393088343_thumb.jp

Kris, I am sorry if I have extended topic excessively, but I hope you find my information somehow useful!

Edited by Phoenikakias
  • Upvote 1

Thanks Konstantinos,

You have given lots of useful information to me and others who are visiting this thread...And nice visuals too.Glad you are following my threads & posts.

Lots of love,

kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Jan 2018 update :- Their is not much growth but its growing in shade of a dicot tree and damp location....Its alive !

20180111_130245.thumb.jpg.cf7258521de935

There are few pups but once this palm puts out a hardened trunk,Iam going to trim and keep it solitary.

20180111_130255.thumb.jpg.f4e2b18230412a

Here is a link for those who want to see some mature specimens of this palm variety :

http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Phoenix_reclinata

Edited by Kris
  • Upvote 7

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Reclinata belongs to the Phoenix spp, which are tolerant of wet conditions. Yours looks softer than when it had been put in to ground! Amazing how growing conditions affect appearance. Thanks for the stills.

• Upvote 1