IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Record heat coming to California next week

Mauna Kea Cloudforest

The drought continues, but things now get real interesting as we are going to experience record heat next week. As per the National Weather Service this Morning:

INTERESTING TO NOTE THAT THE
MODELS ARE DEPICTING AN EXTREMELY AMPLIFIED LONGWAVE RIDGE
EXTENDING NEARLY TO THE ARCTIC CIRCLE BY THE END OF NEXT WEEK AS
THE COLD LOW REPOSITIONS ITSELF BACK NEAR HUDSON BAY WITH THE
RIDGE HERE EXTENDING FROM THE WEST COAST OF THE CONUS NORTH THROUGH
BC, YUKON TERRITORY AND ALASKA. AT THE SAME TIME THE SURFACE FLOW
WILL RETURN TO BEING OFFSHORE AND 850MB TEMPS WILL INCREASE UP TO
3 STANDARD DEVIATIONS ABOVE NORMAL. RECORD HIGHS WILL LIKELY BE
HIT NEXT WEEK -- POSSIBLY AT MANY SPOTS.

I would not be surprised to see many readings in the mid 80's in Coastal Central California next week and some mid 70's over the Central Valley. The Santa Cruz Mountains and East Bay hills won't drop below 60F at night, and this is the middle of Winter. I bet Southern California will hit the mid 90's at the peak of this event with some pretty dry Santa Ana winds. Probably won't cool of at night there in the higher elevations either.

If you haven't watered anything, now would be the time to get going and bring soil moisture back up.

Well, it's been one hell of a Winter so far, record cold in early December, 84F along the Monterey Bay around xmas, and now we're going to get even more heat.

It's been a great winter for me. I've only had one very light frost that was only on the cars. Last year kicked my butt so Mother Nature owes me this.

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Ive seen a few trees budding in the central valley, And ive been told some fruit tree fields are budding also. If winter hits hard again its going to screw some farmers.

Ive seen a few trees budding in the central valley, And ive been told some fruit tree fields are budding also. If winter hits hard again its going to screw some farmers.

Somr peaches are blooming here. My cherries are on the verge of blooming, and apples are in full bloom. This is nuts! I've never seen this before.

My Desert Delight peach, which is always my earliest stone fruit, is about to bloom. I bet it pops this warm week.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I saw some early almond blossoms today.

I read where we are supposed to be in the 70's next week.

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

High wind warning issued too, so this will be a nasty Santa Ana for sure. Hope no fires start because with winds over 50 mph and rh in the low teens, they cannot fight those fires.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)