IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cold Damage, I'll treat palms with Vitamin B and Aspirin

_Keith

Seriously, there has been interesting research in this area. Both are cheap and easy, so why not.

Let's discuss, but please do your research first.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg12917501.600-science-aspirin-helps-the-garden-grow.html

http://www.finegardening.com/how-to/qa/aspirin-cures-plant-headaches.aspx

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1176421/

And then there are naysayers, but it is specific to Vitamin B1 and not B12

http://puyallup.wsu.edu/~linda%20chalker-scott/Horticultural%20Myths_files/Myths/Vitamin%20B1.pdf

http://www.almadenvalleynursery.com/site/breaking-the-vitamin-b-1myth-articles.php

And there may be naysayers on Aspirin.

https://sharepoint.cahnrs.wsu.edu/blogs/gardentips/archive/2004/10/30/MYTH%20BUSTING%20.aspx

The person on the first wsu.edu article prides herself on being a plant mythbuster. Note the last article is from there as well. And they may be right, but as soon as someone labels themselves in certain way, aka mythbuster, they then have a vested interest. So, do as you may, but for me, it is too cheap not to try.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Axel, you are the best researcher I know. Give me an opinion. As I said, so cheap I am still doing it just for the fun of it. But I would love to know your thoughts either way.

• Like 1

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I always treat my tender tropical palms with Bonide copper fungicide that is approved for organic gardening. I went all organic with everything I grow about 3 years ago and my all my plants including my palms are doing much better than they ever did with the artificial chemical fertilizers. With the Bonide, I mix up one ounce per gallon of water then handspray it on my palms (they are all still small enough to reach the crowns with just a hand held spray bottle). I apply it once at the beginning of the season, usually around late November or early December, then again about now, and again at the end of the season in February. This is to prevent and/or kill bud rot. I have stopped bud rot in both coconut and date palms, in which palms that I though were totally lost have fully recovered.

I also apply several times throughout the winter applications of liquid seaweed to treat potassium deficiency, which coconut palms are especially susceptible to here in South Texas in the winter. I apply one ounce to a gallon of water, then spray it on the crown, just like with the copper fungicide. Be careful not to apply to much copper fungicide, though so that your palms don't develop a copper toxicity. Good luck.

John

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I also recommend using a good organic foliar spray in a 12-4-8 ratio with micronutrients once the chance of any frosts or freezes has passed. For us here in Corpus Christi, that is usually by the second week of February. This helps the palms to receive quickly through the leaves much needed nutrients for new growth. I use a Texas product produced by Medina called Medina Hasta Gro Lawn 12-4-8mixing one ounce per gallon of water, then spraying the crown as I do with the Bonide copper fungicide and liquid seaweed. This works great as a foliar spray fertilizer in tandem with a good organic slow release granular fertilizer. I like to use MicroLife 6-2-4 with 70 micronutrients, specifically formulated for the Texas Gulf Coast, but I think it would be good for the entire Gulf Coast. It is produced by a company in Houston called San Jacinto Environmental. It caused my Golden Malayan Dwarf to more than double in size in just 6 months time from planting it in the ground.

Going all organic seems to somewhat increase the cold hardiness of palms and other tropicals too, by strengthening the roots and thus the entire plant. Also, going all organic and adding organic compost to your soil, increases soil temperatures by a couple of degrees, which is really necessary for us zone pushers to get our tender tropical palms to survive in marginal climates. So far, it is working for my coconut palms here in Corpus Christi.

John

• Upvote 1

Axel, you are the best researcher I know. Give me an opinion. As I said, so cheap I am still doing it just for the fun of it. But I would love to know your thoughts either way.

Aspirin works, even the nay sayer explained the mechanism by which it works. Here's the quote from the myth buster, she actually endorses it.

In plants, this disease resistance or immune-type response is stimulated by salicylic acid, the ingredient in aspirin. The salicylic acid signals the plant to make a variety of defense related proteins. Research has shown that acetylsalicylic acid (aspirin) applied to plants can induce resistance to some diseases.

In which way are you supposed to supply palms with acetylsalicylic acid?

I would do a foliar spray and also add it to the roots via dilution in water.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question about this.

1) First, can you recommend a particular brand of vitamin that comes in a liquid sprayable form? You simply spray it on all the foliage? (not the root area?) Sorry, I am completely ignorant about this.

2) I also use Bonide copper fungicide on palms after a freeze, but I have never tried this as prevention in advance (instead, I have sprayed Freezepruf in advance). What I have never understood about copper fungicide is how to spray it right into the bud, as is required. Thanks to our recent "polar vortex" freeze, I have one crownshaft palm that could probably benefit from some copper fungicide, but I don't see how I can possibly spray it right into the bud/growth area. The bud must be deep beneath many layers of plant tissue! It is not accessible, as far as I can see. Advice anyone? (on the correct application technique) My weakest archontophoenix cunninghamiana now has a new spear that is now growing out green with brown striping along the edges (may not be a good sign).

Many thanks in advance.

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2019 at 12:01 PM, akamu said:

Bump just curious so what results did you have after your experiment with the b1 and aspirin. 

I saw no notable results, but it wasn't controlled in anyway.   

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe I should have given them caffeine with the aspirin.    Or a Hot Toddy, with Lemon, Bourbon, and Honey.  I'll drink the Bourbon.

... Or maybe your palm needed two Tylenol and some bed rest.  Hold the Aspirin.

This thread may need some physician advice ----- TropicDoc, Krishna, etc???