IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Licuala fordiana planting

LilikoiLee

Mike took a day off from gardening a couple weeks ago so I got to dig some holes and plant some palms myself. Unfortunately it’s taken all this time to get a decent picture of them….difficult location and very bad light so the pictures are not as good as I would like them to be.

The palms I planted were both Licuala fordiana. I chose a slope surrounded by trails because it would let people see the palms from both above and below.

post-3412-0-67236800-1388822586_thumb.jppost-3412-0-97398400-1388822598_thumb.jp

post-3412-0-98725500-1388822609_thumb.jppost-3412-0-35478400-1388822621_thumb.jp

Mike on his day off.

post-3412-0-17773100-1388822637_thumb.jp

Lee Tracy

• Upvote 1

Lee

Located at 1500' elevation in Kona on the west side of the Big Island of Hawaii.

Average annual rainfall is about 60"; temperature around 80 degrees.

Lee, its great to hear "you let" Mike have a "day off" a few weeks ago, no doubt he made a beautiful dinner and made sure the wine was icy cold :)

Lee and Mike, Licuala fordiana is a "beautiful Licuala" esp when grown in shade, its dark here now but we have 1 flowering close by so would like to share these pics with you.

All the "Best" to you both for 2014, I enjoy all your posts.

Pete :)

post-5709-0-11823100-1388827755_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-22608100-1388827770_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-65082900-1388827788_thumb.jp

Lee or Pete, do yours sucker a lot? I continually have to cut off suckers to keep it single - for now. I got mine from Marcus so I am sure it is the correct species.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Really liking the Licuala's lately thanks for the pics. Question: Do Licuala's in general do as well as Chameadorea sp. in pots? Just about to get some L. dasyantha and L. elegans the Marcus'.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Most all of the Licuala species are good candidate for growing in containers. There's a few, one being L. spinosa that I would avoid. It grows to big, too fast.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Lee or Pete, do yours sucker a lot? I continually have to cut off suckers to keep it single - for now. I got mine from Marcus so I am sure it is the correct species.

Len, I only have 2 good size suckers but "suckering palms" as you'd know sucker variably, 1 of our Dasyanthas suckers "profusely" the other has only 2 stems. The 2 stem is the female and profuse sucker is the male.

I'd Love to get the suckers off the Fordiana to have more of these in the gardens but I dont want to damage her at all so I "should" let her be and wait till she 'seeds well", hopefully this time round.

post-5709-0-29902600-1388874582_thumb.jp

We have quite a few Licuala but only two are suckering so far. One is about 4' tall and has been suckering for quite some time. The other is only about 1' tall and was already suckering when I bought it. None of our 4 fordiana have suckered. The two fordiana not shown in the picture have been in the ground for about two years. Unfortunately I don't know the species for many of ours but was recently relieved to learn (here) that the species vary greatly and it is extremely hard to identify them.

Mike and I didn't know that suckers can be either male or female. That is valuable information as I plan to propagate all of our Licuala.

Lee

Lee

Located at 1500' elevation in Kona on the west side of the Big Island of Hawaii.

Lee, its great to hear "you let" Mike have a "day off" a few weeks ago, no doubt he made a beautiful dinner and made sure the wine was icy cold :)

Lee and Mike, Licuala fordiana is a "beautiful Licuala" esp when grown in shade, its dark here now but we have 1 flowering close by so would like to share these pics with you.

All the "Best" to you both for 2014, I enjoy all your posts.

Aloha Pete,

There have been several recent posts about Licuala doing well in the sun so I was a bit reluctant to plant them in shade but other than that the spot was perfect for them....glad to hear yours are doing so well in the shade. Your pictures are definitely a testament to that; they are really gorgeous. I'd like to know what the smaller Licuala with the broad leaf segments is.

I am all in favor of Mike taking a lot of days off. He retired 1 1/2 years ago from a very stressful 'desk job'. I thought he'd take it easy for a few months but he's not showing any signs of every doing that. When he does start to slow down I'm ready with my own O'o bar, machete and small electric power saw which I would love to be able to use a lot more often.

Lee

Lee

Lee, the smaller and very broad leaflet Licuala is dasyantha which is now Lanonia dasyantha, it too "looks perfect" in shade, its colour also is more vivid here in winter. Pete :)

post-5709-0-78166200-1389004231_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-15744500-1389004248_thumb.jp

• 8 months later...

I picked up two of the largest Licuala fordiana I had ever seen, the other day. The lighter metallic looking one is already sold to a friend. I am not sure what I will do with the other... unlike my two, these are the clustering form.

post-5491-0-00471500-1411400193_thumb.jp