IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

How silver can a no silver Nannorrops be?

Phoenikakias

Is there any correlation between eventual varieties of Nannorrhops ritchiana and spectrum of silver on the leaves? Ok, there is also the silver Nanno, which however is a different sp (arabica, stockiana). I am talking about the green, reputedly extremely cold hardy Nanno, which is not so green, but it always has a a blue to silver hue (or there is also a green Nanno?). My actual question is whether the grade of silver is an inherited trait or merely a result of specific conditions in cultivation. In first case we may even speak also of varieties (and which are they?). Reason for this topic has been my recent experience with a 'green' Nanno of mine. When I bought it was definitely and markedly greener than a silver Nanno, resembling rather in hue a bluish Sabal, and it has remained so for many years after outplanting until last spring. Then I have eliminated the competition of a nearby growing non palmy plant (Lagunaria), which means more sun exposure (but not significantly) and surely more available resources (nutrients and water). Furthermore in summer I added to surrounding soil water retention gel and lifted slightly soil level with addition of a layer of pure sand. New leaves of same plant after those actions have grown very silver and remain so even during the current cool and rainy season. In fact I am not sure how more silver than those new leaves a silver Nanno can be...

post-6141-0-10569400-1388179104_thumb.jp

post-6141-0-86273000-1388179130_thumb.jp

post-6141-0-21631000-1388179158_thumb.jp

Nice...would like to get one.......sorry it doesn't answer your question. I'm unsure about the varieties of nanno's.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Phil has both Nannorrhops ritchiana and Nannorrhops ritchiana (silver form) for sale......wonder what the difference is....would like to see some pics...Phil?

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

My guess would be that these vary much like Serenoa repens does. A lot of S. repens are found in the all green form and very silver form, but likewise there are also a lot of Serenoa that have a greenish silvery hue in their leaves.

Tyler

Coastal Zone 9a

''Karma is a good girl, she just treats you exactly how you treat her"

Nice...would like to get one.......sorry it doesn't answer your question. I'm unsure about the varieties of nanno's.

I have stayed away from this palm, hearing it was slooooow. But on my recent trip to the southern tip of Texas I saw several really good sized ones and the owners described them as fast. After they told me the year of and size at acquisition vs what I saw, I have to concur they are fast indeed. Soon as I can get my hands on one or two, I am all over them.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

... and suddenly I saw true light! Read in following link 'enigma No. 4' and also its horticultural needs http://www.palmsociety.org/members/english/chamaerops/045/045-13.shtml, but generally entire article is enormously interesting. I want only to add that if I remember correctly the persian form of Nannorrhops is frequently visited by very cold winds, which are called by locals cow-killing winds!!!