IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

PRA Team in search of Corypha in SoCal!

MattyB

post-206-0-80949000-1386657357_thumb.jpg

MORE of that corypha!

post-206-0-82021800-1386657365_thumb.jpg

post-206-0-79889900-1386657362_thumb.jpg

long-shot of the garden.

post-206-0-34292000-1386657353_thumb.jpg

we took the scenic route home with bob navigating the dense urban jungles of La Jolla.

• Upvote 2

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

post-206-0-27965500-1386657512_thumb.jpg

a group of skall cottages that were rumored to be the homes of some of the actors that played the munchkins in

"the wizard of oz." this has been persistent rumor but i am not sure of its veracity.

post-206-0-39495600-1386657513_thumb.jpg

and finally the PRA(™) team needs to unwind after a long day in the field with as assortment of adult beverages & a dip in

scalding,bubbly water.

still "warning-free."

DSCN4952.jpg

part II of the PRA() teams search for the lost corypha of La Jolla.

this episode begins with the PRA() having a lovely lunch at a nearby laotian restaurant.

i have wanted to try those sausages for a while & they were amazing :bemused:

DSCN4953.jpg

deep in the wilds of La Jolla we see a clue that we are on the right track.

DSCN4954.jpg

its closer than we had even dared to hoperight next door.

DSCN4955.jpg

we also stumbled upon one of the hugest Bismarckias in captivity.

Paul I think that dude you had lunch with is in the band "Mumford and Sons."

i might be able to agree or disagree if i knew who that band was.

saw QOTSA last nite at sports arena & they were awesome. there goes another 10% of my hearing.

still "warning-free."

Are you saying my method of exploration is... unsuccessful?

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Wow guys that is impressive. Corypha is one species I never even contemplated here, but by the looks of it would do real well. Who would have thunk it. :D

Too bad I'm moving 250 miles south- in the southern hemisphere. :(

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

BS man once told me, about 9-10 months a year. Brrrr.....

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Looks like Corypha is a winner for So Cal. Who there now wants one? Raise your hand.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

A great palm adventure read, thanks to the PRA team, the world is a safer, ah, maybe not the right word, the world is a happier place. :D

Thanks Matt and Paul and Bob, and I liked the vids too, anything left on the cutting room floor ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Two years ago when I first drove by this house that was full of mature palms in the front yard I had to stop and pull over. It's a small lot but it's filled with lots of amazing palms. Most of the palms there I had seen before and was able to determine what they were but one stuck out in the front that I had never seen before. This palm that had no visible trunk but had massive leaves was like nothing I had ever seen before. I remember at the time I told the other members of the PRA team, Paul and Matt ,that we needed to pay a visit to this house, to see this palm. For whatever reason we never did get around to going there then. I'm glad we finally got around to seeing this palm which turns out to be a Corypha. Thanks guys for the great pictures of mark's yard and palm collection and thanks to Ken for reminding me that we needed to do this PRA.

One of the interesting things that Mark the homeowner told us was when he bought this little palm seedling years ago from a palm society meeting at the the Huntington botanical garden was that Mardy Darien also bought three little seedlings at the same time. Now I don't remember ever seeing a Corypha at Mardy house so I guess Mark has a better microclimate for this palm in Southern California.

If I had the room I'd like to try growing this palm myself but after seeing how large they get when I was biennial in Thailand last year I know that will never happen.

• Upvote 1

more palms, less bombs!

I got car sick during the videos, but it was worth suffering through to see the Corypha appear on the screen. Great PRA report, guys!

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

What's good for SD might be good for the OC . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

AMEN, Geoff! My hands are sore already . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Wonderfull corypha! I remember how it was breathtaking to climb one in Thailand :) here with Carlo Morici!

post-3292-0-93715700-1386804191_thumb.jp

The owner of this garden has any connection with IPS or another local society?

And of course Paul wouldnt publish speedo's pic, unless maybe he could be reported and censored ;)

• Upvote 2

the now infamous "speedo pic" is the 2nd pic in post #42. enjoy B)

mark (the owner of the garden) said he didn't currently belong to any palm societies,rafael.

he did mention the french palm society visiting his garden in the mid to late 1990s,though.

still "warning-free."

Paul, did he tell you when he bought the plant and what year he planted it?

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Gary you would think that I would remember an important detail like that--but you'd be wrong.

Maybe bob or matt can recall.

still "warning-free."

Nice find. That's cool to see a Corypha growing in CA. I just saw a Corypha Umbraculifera for the first time a few months ago in Maui. I was surprised when I saw one of its giant fronds sticking out from the other plant life. These palms are impressive

I am thinking now he said he bought that palm in a band at a sale at the Huntington botanical garden in 2000 or so. he said he was lucky to get it since there was

a gentleman grabbing the rest of them as quickly as he could.

still "warning-free."

• 1 year later...

I have a 2 year old seedling that was germinated here in California and It saw a light frost last year and still looks pretty good.

I heard they can grow in desert climates like arizona and palm desert but the coast... pretty amazing..

Fun thread Matty :winkie:

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

I have a 2 year old seedling that was germinated here in California and It saw a light frost last year and still looks pretty good.

I heard they can grow in desert climates like arizona and palm desert but the coast... pretty amazing..

I didn't know they could handle the desert heat. Have you heard of someone growing them here in the Coachella Valley?

Sounds like Corypha was cooler than the Newport Beach coco. But what about the Palm Desert Ca. fruiting coco?

I didn't know they could handle the desert heat. Have you heard of someone growing them here in the Coachella Valley?

never heard anyone growing them there

Sunset zone 24

• 7 months later...
On 6/6/2015, 11:28:23, Danilopez89 said:

Sounds like Corypha was cooler than the Newport Beach coco. But what about the Palm Desert Ca. fruiting coco?

Danny,

you should be trying this in your desert garden. I think this will grow for you

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

36 minutes ago, Josh-O said:

Danny,

you should be trying this in your desert garden. I think this will grow for you

It would probably take about ALL OF MY FRONT YARD!:blink: to grow one of these.

But if I ever come across one I'll probably still buy it and convince myself that I have enough space for it.:rolleyes:

3 hours ago, Danilopez89 said:

It would probably take about ALL OF MY FRONT YARD!:blink: to grow one of these.

But if I ever come across one I'll probably still buy it and convince myself that I have enough space for it.:rolleyes:

Nothing a little palm editing wont take care of ;)

Sunset zone 24

• 6 months later...

No pic update... but "connection" .. update mid-last week I finally stopped/drove by to see the Corypha.. WOW.. I then decided it would be fun to try to have one... Then at the PSSC auction a Corypha utan was brought but got lost and then found after the auction  in the giant amount of palms there!!!  Yep, I bought it!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

26 minutes ago, BS Man about Palms said:

No pic update... but "connection" .. update mid-last week I finally stopped/drove by to see the Corypha.. WOW.. I then decided it would be fun to try to have one... Then at the PSSC auction a Corypha utan was brought but got lost and then found after the auction  in the giant amount of palms there!!!  Yep, I bought it!

I've grown a few C. utan from seed.  Germinated in June, and approaching leaf number 3.