IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

SFPS SALE CHANGE OF VENUE

Ken Johnson

SFPS will hold its sale at Montgomery Botanic Center for the first time ever! A limited tour is available but why look at their stuff when you can buy the same thing for yourself? The very seed from MBC palms (and don't forget the ones from FTBG and Flamingo) are distributed to us and we waste no time getting them to market! See palms that are almost never available for sale anywhere, all in the same place at one time!

Folks this is the real thing. This is The Worlds Largest sale of palms, from many vendors, in one place. Don't miss it!

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

Hey Ken,

I bet there won't be any weddings in the background either!

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I cannot wait.  It's been a couple of years since I attended the spring sale.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Ken,

I didn't even know there was going to be a sale!  When we toured Montgomery a couple months ago I paid my dues and signed up for the society but haven't ever recieved anything, ie schedules, bulletins, etc...   I just recieved an email that was asking to renew my dues...  I'm a little hesitant...  Please help!

I never miss this palm sale. I'm looking for 3 palms to put next to my pool enclosure. I do not want a queen and I have to many foxtails already. Any of you guys selling down there have something that has about 8 ft of trunk that will fit send me a pm with prices. I'll make an extra stop by your nursery if I need to.

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

• 2 weeks later...

The sale is this weekend, I can't say enough how much fun people will have if they come to see the Montgomery Botanical Center. It has been close to 14 years for me since the last time I was able to view the grounds.

Ryan

South Florida

(Mike4284m @ Mar. 06 2007,14:38)

Any chance we might get a sneak peek at the vendor/plant list?

I agree Mike... otherwise I'm gonna have to tote around 4 large encyclopedias of palms and a laptop with a wireless cellular connection to see what kind of palmtastrophe I'm getting myself into!  So how bout it SFPS vendors, a sneak peak at the plant lists?

:cool:

I think last time Ryan had a copy of the list before the show.  Maybe they haven't been compiled yet.

South Florida

Usually the sale booklet isn't available until the morning of the show on Saturday. If I do happen upon one before then I will post it, but I have to wait for it just like everyone else. If a SFPS board member can post it earlier, please do, as I am interested to know what will be for sale as well.  :cool:

Ryan

South Florida

Do I smell a palm epidemic moving through? This weekend should be very interesting, now that the sale has left Fairchild's and has moved to Montgomery. The tours should be of great interest to everyone, including myself. I think this was a great idea to move the sale. I know by listing to the talking going around, that there should be a good turnout. The weather forcast is giving us great weather, with no chance of rain. I'll be heading down tomorrow morning with the first of two loads. Look forward to seeing everyone!

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I'm hooking up my trailer.

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

(Jeff Searle @ Mar. 07 2007,13:36)

I'll be heading down tomorrow morning with the first of two loads.

Any chance you'll be bringing along some D. ambositrae?  ???

South Florida

Got the list in the mail today in the palm report!

The weekend is looking up!

Jeff; you bringing anything for the preview party Fri. night? Should I bring my wife?

I will have the Thrinax and Coccothrinax covered!

Who's going to be from out of state?

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

(Mike4284m @ Mar. 07 2007,16:49)

Mike,

You mean the truuuue D. ambositrae? Sorry, but I need to pot them up soon. They are only small 2 leaf seedlings, about 2" tall. I will have these ready at my fall sale later this year. They are really slow.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Ken,

I will be there Friday evening for the gala. :D LOL.

But Ryan will be my date, not Andrea. :(  Were going to stick around after we set up our booth.It will be too late for Andrea to drive down after work. Were really looking forward to it. I have a couple of nice palms for the display area so far. I'm still looking for one more palm though.Are you selling this weekend?

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

(Jeff Searle @ Mar. 07 2007,23:21)

(Mike4284m @ Mar. 07 2007,16:49)

Mike,

You mean the truuuue D. ambositrae? Sorry, but I need to pot them up soon. They are only small 2 leaf seedlings, about 2" tall. I will have these ready at my fall sale later this year. They are really slow.

Jeff

I was afraid you'd say that!  I guess I can wait a bit longer . . .  :D

South Florida

- I got a copy of the sale booklet today, here is the list of palms and cycads. Part One of a few...

scan0001.jpg

scan0002.jpg

scan0003.jpg

scan0004.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Ryan and I was down there today setting up. Many other vendors had their palms there already. It's shaping up to be a good weekend for the buyers. The booths are lined out with a main path that flows in a large loop. Parking will be real close for the customers, and vendors can finally park their trucks close too.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Excellent day today. There were 5 forum members that were selling palms, and I believe 6 other members that came and bought palms. Some made a long drive to come down too. In my opinion, it was a buyers market. I saw more palms that were sold at really low prices than ever before. The market is saturated with palms. great deals all day long.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

How did the pre-sale trading/buying go?  

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Ray,

The pre-sale, although was a good idea, did'nt really pan out. Very few people came out, probably because people were getting off work and it did'nt leave much time before it got dark. But, it was a great social event with all the vendors, Montgomery's people, buyers and anyone else that stuck around. There was good food, beer and wine.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

The sale was great and I hope everyone that wanted to get out there had a chance.  I ended up picking up two palms that I've been looking for awhile, a Calyptrogyne ghiesbreghtiana from Bob Johnson and two Asterogyne martiana from Mike Harris.  All of the vendors were great and I spent a lot of time talking with them as I checked out the wares.  The tours of the grounds were definitely worth the $5.  I took a bunch of pictures that I'll be posting in the travel Logs section when I get around to it.

Mont041.jpg

Not one of the palms I bought!  Anyone make out the price tag?

South Florida

This was a fine speciman of the Dwarf form of Areca catechu. It was in Steve Stern's booth. I want to say it was for sale , for $300-400.I'm not sure if it sold or not. I have one in my yard, and absolutely love showing it off. It's one of my favorites.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Well I finally found my way into this forum. Many of my friends like Ken, Jeff, John, Ryan and others have been telling me to get in here for quite a long time.

For my first post I would like to thank you all for your support of the SFPS move to Montgomery Botanical Center. Our first Show and Sale there was wildly successful. We passed our average of the last 10 years sales at Fairchild Gardens in both number of visitors, and amount of money made on the event. It is still the "World's Largest Palm Sale". Hopefully we will make it much bigger and better in the years to come. I certainly believe we will.

Nearly 2,000 visitors got to see MBC for the first time, and 237 of them paid to go on the tour. Those of you that were able to make it can see the huge potential for future events in this beautiful garden.

Thank you all again.

Bill Olson

President

South Florida Palm Society

• 4 months later...

Anybody have the dates for the Montgomery fall sale? I want to book my plane ticket now.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

(PiousPalms @ Aug. 06 2007,23:17)

It was announced tonight that the SFPS fall sale will be held on November 3-4 and it will be at Fairchild.

:(   I was hoping that they would have the sale again at Montgomery. Fairchild's admission price is out of line;just to attend a sale event. IMO

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year