IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Winter weather

Palm crazy

Has anyone ever had any success using a product Called Frez Pruf (Liquid Fence)? I have heard from some palm enthusiasts that it can help reduce the damage during a cold spell. Thoughts?

That made the rounds on PT a while back. I think the consensus at the time was "snake oil."

But, read for yourself and make your own opinion, or better yet try it out and see what it does for you.

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/21223-freeze-pruf-big-disappointment/

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question, I'm receiving very light snow/rain mix but the temps here are going to be above freezing (up to 38 degrees by 4 PM) pretty much all day up until about midnight. For right now is there any reason to have concern for a 3-4 foot tall Phoenix Canariensis, unprotected? The temperature is okay, but not sure about the snow. Also, late tonight/early morning It will get to about 28 degrees. With the precipitation already here, will this almost definitely cause root damage?

BTW, I applied freeze pruff 3-4 weeks ago. Have no idea or direct visual evidence that it's worked, but after several nights below 25 degrees my Phoenix is a solid bronze(ish) color but still alive. This was also protection provided with a frost blanket.

Edited by smithgn

P. canary should be fine...I'm assuming it is in the ground. You might have some yellowing of the fronds, but the tree should survive with no problems at that temp. even with snow. Of course it is never good to have frozen precip. in the growing point of the crown. If you want to be super cautious, try and keep the crown dry. After the freeze has past, doctor the crown area with hydrogen peroxide from the grocery/drug store...full strength. This will kill any fungi that might develop around the spear from having water frozen in there. The H2O2 will turn to water once it has done its job.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Thanks so much for the advice. How about Copper Fungicide instead of hydrogen peroxide? Same thing? At this point, I'm not even worried about yellowing of the fronds, my poor palm is already a full color yellow/bronze color (haha). This summer will be a recooperation session. And yes, It's in the ground.

Copper fungicide is good as well but im not sure hoe to apply. Maybe someone else will chime I on how to use it properly.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

I have ample experience with Copper Fungicide since I live in Seattle and mold, fungi, moss, etc. are very much part of the gardening experience up here. Follow the manufacturer's instructions, but basically you buy a cheap spray bottle and mix water with the liquid based copper fungicide (Liqui-Cop is the brand I use). it's about a capful of Liqui-cop per liter of water. Then just shake the bottle and spray liberally on palms. I usually apply about every 2 weeks to mine. Keep in mind it's important to try to spray it on when the palms will dry relatively quickly (you don't want them wet for too long especially if night temps are going to drop below freezing). Extra water on your palms in a wet environment is never a good thing. I use Copper Fungicide more as a preventative rather than to treat already infected palms. It seems to be working quite well with my Washingtonia Robusta which has taken a ton of rain this winter. I hope this helps!