IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

First Freeze Tonight, and It Is Early This Year

_Keith

Only 32 projected, but still a freeze. And an early one, too. I have been bringing in sensitive plants all afternoon.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

It won't freeze....have faith

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

our high today is 36, it was 12 this morning...

you guys have it easy!

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

Low forecast back up to 34. And that couple of degrees can mean a whole heck of a lot.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I hit the high 40s a few weeks ago. That was early too.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Back up to 38 for forcast now....easy peasy

Based on the temps out right now, 55, I can't see it reaching 34, but it is pretty windy, so it may. In the meantime I have my 15 minute greenhouse in place.

We hit 34 and 34. Not too bad at all.

I'm studying this...more data please, on palms.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

... meaning? :hmm:

Studying palm hardiness in cold climate.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Very brief dip to 35ish both nights with a touch of frost on roofs the second night...no damage to tropicals.

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

45f for a low here after many days in the mid 70's f.

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

... meaning? :hmm:

Studying palm hardiness in cold climate.

:) Ok, after a really rainy and cool week two recent plantings have no problems. A Medemia argun and a Jubaeopsis caffra. The Jubaeopsis still grows in this late season and the Medemia as well albeit very slowly.

post-6141-0-85244700-1384626908_thumb.jp

post-6141-0-13105500-1384626962_thumb.jp

Until now temps have never fallen below 10 C / 50 F this autumn, but winter is still quite ahead.

Absolute minimum here 52 F/11C, fall 2013.

hi!!

...you are lucky!... here 6C/42F

may be my place it is a bit colder than yours, i have a microclimate, but it is a extreme microclimate in the island where i have the hottest and colder temps.

regards

Thank you Sergi! How do you regulate the soil ph? Have you besides observed any relation between cold hardiness and soil ph?

...my soil and water are very calcareous, some palms as sabals and braheas seems love it, but many others hate..., i always added sulfuric acid in the tank water to obtain 6.0 or 6.5 ph water.
the water without acid can give levels about 8.0 ph..., and 400 ppm of calcium bicarbonate, no good..., the calcium bicarbonate turns in to calcium sulphate, this one do not increase ph levels in the soil.

...this year i hope fix this problem, this summer i was made "a big hole in the ground" to store rain water for our next dry summer...

I do not observed any relation between cold hardiness and soil Ph, but for sure there are some relation, Ph levels are important for nutrients availability, and some nutrients as potassium an others are important to have an strong palm for take cold...

My last autumn irrigation i added potassium phosphite, nutrients to help against the cold.

Perfect Rhopalostylis weather here for the last 2-3 months...........still trying to talk myself into trying some. No freezes yet.

David, I would think panhandle weather would be better for Cuban royals than rhopalostylis. Similar crown shafted palm. There is a decent size royal at Silver Shells in Destin. I see it every spring and scratch my head and say "HOW?"

• 2 weeks later...

...yesterday night 0.5C/31F..., bad news, this year here also the cold has come soon...

these temperatures are usually late December / January

Sergi, it is almost unbelievable than in a mediterranean island temps fall so low this early Is this common there and hoe can you explain generally that in a western mediterranean island gets so cold? Maybe your garden is a cold spot?

Nice Medemia argun and Jubaeopsis caffra.....two unusual palms to me.

Doc....I thought about that...a royal might survive for a few years...would have to get them really cheap and treat it like a annual. lol.

Sergi, it is almost unbelievable than in a mediterranean island temps fall so low this early Is this common there and hoe can you explain generally that in a western mediterranean island gets so cold? Maybe your garden is a cold spot?

Here we have two months usually cold January and February, due to cold air mass from the north..., to late March temperatures rise quite

This is a table of temperatures of February at the airport of Palma de Mallorca, close to the city and the sea ...

.post-1753-0-78185600-1386269034_thumb.pn

my field is perhaps 20km from the sea, that makes the temperatures drop a degree or two more...

regards.

Edited by sergiskan

Hit 80 degrees (26.67 C.) today....cloudy skies and lots of fog in the morning...........been a warm month so far.

Hit 80 degrees (26.67 C.) today....cloudy skies and lots of fog in the morning...........been a warm month so far.

Same here. That is why some plants that are hardier further north actually die here. The don't harden up and go dormant, then they get sucker punched by an arctic blast.

Keith, you were here this week and I believe coming back this next week. 45 miles north of Los Angeles, Calif. right off I-5 at 6:30 am PST this morning is 28 deg. F. As you know, we had an unusual Artic Blast come straight down the coast from the Yukon starting late Tuesday 12-3-2013 and getting colder each morning. So Monday, I moved about 100 Hyophorbe verschaffeltii Spindle seedlings (1 year olds) from under the pepper tree canopy into my race car trailer where it is insulated in hopes that I have at least a 5 deg. F advantage on the weather. I am hoping that the 2 year old Phoenix canariensis, 1 year old Butia Odorata, Pseudophoenix sargentii have a little better chance of survival under the canopy. Scott

post-6612-0-35465400-1386344000_thumb.jp

post-6612-0-00686000-1386344192_thumb.jp

post-6612-0-73965100-1386344286_thumb.jp

Survived Feb. 9, 1971 & Jan. 17, 1994 earthquakes   Before Palms, there was a special airplane

619382403_F-117landingsmallest.jpg.0441eed7518a280494a59fcdaf23756d.jpg