IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Yard photos today from a sunny day in Pahoa

Justin

This is more or less in order, following the lots around the perimeter from the SW corner to the SE corner to the NE corner (well, not really, since I can't get to the NE corner as of yet) to the NW corner, and then back. About 85% of these are from the main lot, and 15% from the new lot that I've been clearing. It should be pretty self-evident what's the new lot and what is not.

http://justinandcrystal.com/Maile20131101/

Let me know if you have any questions about anything - I'd be happy to provide whatever I can.

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

Justin,

Wonderful garden tour. We've got a lot of questions but because of the rain we spent much of the day on PT. It's getting late and we're a bit bleary eyed so we will hold our questions until tomorrow. Are you coming to the HIPS lecture on the 15th?

Lee

Lee

Located at 1500' elevation in Kona on the west side of the Big Island of Hawaii.

Average annual rainfall is about 60"; temperature around 80 degrees.

Boy Justin, your garden is really getting it's groove on. Pretty gratifying isn't it? Was down Kehena way earlier today, one of these times I'll have to stop by.

Lee, PRA at Justin's?

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Nice update Justin

For me it seems unusual to see a sunny day in the Big Island Photo's !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Very nice inside and out! I recognize some of the non-palms (and even some of the palms) but would love any names you can share. Thanks!

Cindy Adair

Very nice inside and out! I recognize some of the non-palms (and even some of the palms) but would love any names you can share. Thanks!

I was worried someone might ask me to do that. B)

I'm pretty sure I know 80+ percent of these, but someone correct me if you think I botched one of these IDs.

Three Pinanga caesia "red" looking a little ragged from what was apparently a fairly dry fall:

DSC02480s.jpg

Metroxylon americum with Heliconia longissima behind it:

DSC02481s.jpg

Hedge of Pinanga coronata and Carpoxylon macrospermum:

DSC02492s.jpg

Banyan tree with all sorts of little friends living in the shade underneath (Iriartea, Kerriodoxa, Joey, Pelagadoxa, plus Mangosteen tree and trash can for uh, scale):

DSC02501s.jpg

Actually, the trash can is there because I was putting it over the palms as I was cutting back the Banyan tree last week. I cut probably 1/3 of the branches down to get the branches far off the ground and not reaching so far out. I want it growing more up than out. Obviously, I'll have to be diligent about it. I may have to root prune sometime soon, that may help.

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

One of the 10-20% I don't know for sure, maybe an Iriartea??:

DSC02507s.jpg

Pelagadoxa in the near foreground, with giant Rainbow gum (Euacalyptus deglupta) in the distance:

DSC02510s.jpg

Dictyocaryum (left) and Areca macrocalyx (right):

DSC02512s.jpg

Kerriodoxas and Indonesian Wax Ginger (Tapeinochilos):

DSC02516s.jpg

Either Dypsis tokoravina or hovamantsina (I have both, planted the same day, and confuse them because the names sound similar), with a low branch of Cassia "rainbow shower" in the upper right:

DSC02520s.jpg

Lots of stuff, including one of the big Dypsis (I think Jurassic park, but maybe not) in the bottom left, coconut in the middle left, Marojejya in the grass, one of the orange crownshafted palms (I think a Euterpe, but not positive) sticking up right above the Marojejya, clump of 5 Chambeyronias about 2/3 to the right, Mauritellia in the grass on right, frond of Wodyetia in near foreground on far right:

DSC02522s.jpg

Another shot of the Banyan, looking North to South (the prior view was West to East):

DSC02525s.jpg

Triple Beccariophoenix and a fan palm that was here when I moved in (don't know the name, so if you do, please speak up):

DSC02538s.jpg

Syagrus amara and Bentinckia condopanna:

DSC02541s.jpg

Dypsis ampasindavae, Dypsis lastelliana and Cyrtostachys renda in the foreground:

DSC02545s.jpg

Rainbow gums:

DSC02553s.jpg

Licuala ramsayii and Licuala grandis, in the shade of the Rainbow gums:

DSC02555s.jpg

Dypsis prestoniana and saintelucei in the back corner of the original lot, the new (uncleared) lot is in the background:

DSC02558s.jpg

One of the stilt root palms, not sure which one (maybe Wettinia??):

DSC02569s.jpg

Brachychiton acerifolius, with Licuala grandis and Christmas palm, plus another fan palm that I don't know the name of:

DSC02571s.jpg

Socratea, which put out a nice new thick stilt root since July:

DSC02576s.jpg

Dypsis carlsmithii in foreground, and in the background left a Cyphophoenix (or Cyphosperma?) and in background middle another Beccariophoenix:

DSC02580s.jpg

Delonix regia (foreground) and Samanea saman (background right), with Dypsis carlsmithii frond in bottom right:

DSC02583s.jpg

Chambeyronia clump and double Syagrus pseudococos:

DSC02591s.jpg

Cannonball tree just to right of path I cut into the new lot:

DSC02593s.jpg

Cleared area for a giant clumping bamboo, Dendrocalamus asper "Hitam." This is about 50-60 feet from the area with the Chambeyronia and Syagrus pseudococos, and was chock-full of Uluhe ferns:

DSC02600s.jpg

A second entry to that same path to the bamboo clearing area, with a Thunbergia mysorensis growing on the Ohia on the left:

DSC02612s.jpg

Neoveitchia storckii, with "Red Velvet" heliconia in upper back right:

DSC02617s.jpg

Some giant-leaved aroid that I got from Jerry Anderson, which I mounted well up in a tree:

DSC02620s.jpg

Madagascar foxtail:

DSC02630s.jpg

Carpoxylon:

DSC02638s.jpg

Can't remember the name on this one, a little help, please:

DSC02639s.jpg

Mealy-bug Dypsis (I just planted in July, I wish it would put out a couple more fronds and put my mind at ease):

DSC02641s.jpg

Etlinger elatior:

DSC02647s.jpg

Row of Clinostigma, with Areca vestiara (both red and orange) growing under the Podocarpus, (hopefully) soon to replace the Podocarpus as a privacy hedge:

DSC02653s.jpg

Ficus dammaropsis, which seems to be doing quite well:

DSC02658s.jpg

Path that I cut behind and to the right of the dammaropsis onto the new lot (actually, the dammaropsis is on the new lot as well, but just barely):

DSC02659s.jpg

Philodendron giganteum, which hopefully will take (I just got a cutting with a couple roots attached):

DSC02662s.jpg

Strangler fig that I (mostly) cut off of an Ohia:

DSC02669s.jpg

Area that I cleared for the world's largest clumping bamboo, Dendrocalamus giganteus. This is near the far lot line, very far from the house :)

DSC02672s.jpg

Relatively steep hill leading up towards house lot line:

DSC02677s.jpg

View looking back from the top of that hill:

DSC02680s.jpg

Giant hole/fissure that I thankfully did not fall in, right near the spot the above photo was taken from. I can't tell how wide it is or how deep it is, because I can't see the full width or the full depth. I would guess the depth is at least 8-10 feet, however:

DSC02681s.jpg

And, to wrap up, Caryota zebrina:

DSC02689s.jpg

The link in post #1 has all the photos, and the photos there are larger than the 800 pixel width I have here, if you want to see additional detail.

awesome stuff! you've done a lot of work & it shows! :greenthumb:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Good work mate. Great looking property too.

That mystery stilt root palm you were unsure of, possibly Wettinia, looks to me like B. hapala.

Justin,

Once again, super photos of a super garden. Posting again with ID's on the pictures answered the questions I was going to ask. Can see that the hardest work is in clearing the land. For the folks who've never seen property in this part of the island there is no way to appreciate how thick it is (literally impossible to penetrate on foot in many places), so we are really impressed at your progress. Great collection you've got going.

The mystery stilt root doesn't look like our Wettinias but it sure looks a lot like our Socratea exorrhiza.

Lee

Lee

Located at 1500' elevation in Kona on the west side of the Big Island of Hawaii.

Average annual rainfall is about 60"; temperature around 80 degrees.

Socratea exorrhiza, that may be it - thanks!

We must be looking at different things.

You have a pic of a Socratea later in the post labeled as such. But the palm you have as possibly wettinia is along way off from being Socratea.

Still say its B. hapala

We must be looking at different things.

You have a pic of a Socratea later in the post labeled as such. But the palm you have as possibly wettinia is along way off from being Socratea.

Still say its B. hapala

Ben,

You're absolutely right. We were looking at different pictures. In scrolling back and forth through Justin's great tour I misplaced myself and correctly identified the wrong palm. Was looking at the Socratea which Justin had already identified as such, not the mystery palm.

Mike