Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Pseudophoenix sargentii

9 posts in this topic

No comments on this yet.  I know at least a few of you in SoCal have this.

I had a 1 gal size one that saw 28F 2 nights under a sheet and 5 total under 31F. It looks OK. I have a 10 gal one that went in the garage after the first night, it looks fine.

My one gallon sized double in the ground since last summer shows no damage after a low of 26F. It's planted next to my small Roystonea borenquena that also shows no damage other than a little yellowing that is going away with spring weather.

I have 3 P sargentii in the ground unprotected and in an exposed area 11 nights with temps below freezing on average 8hrs or more low was 21˚F. I'm yet to see any damage not even a slight burn. My smallest is about 3' tall and largest about 5' tall,they were planted out last spring.I can't say the same about my P vinifera they didn't fair to well. Maybe some damage will show in time to the sargentii?

3 -5gal left out one night at 23 degrees. 2 have about 30% leaf burn and one still looks perfect

Does anyone have updated freeze damage data for this palm?

4 year old seedling in a pot, about 6 inches tall. Low of 28˚ F with no frost. No damage. 

Bought one last year, only palm in my garden to show damage. Well actually the leafs don’t appear damaged. But I had a spear pull today so not sure what is going on but only hit 32 once and it was brief. 

Could be some other things going on like it is not a healthy palm etc 

Edited by enigma99

I would think it is something else as they will take a lot cold than that without damage.