IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Anybody growing heliconia outside in CA ... a few blooming for me

porkchop

I have had success with a few heliconia outside. Dwarf Rostrata, Mexican Gold & Coral Surprise. I have a few others in the ground that are trucking along but no blooms yet.

post-4088-0-57053800-1383630388_thumb.jp post-4088-0-88016800-1383630402_thumb.jp

post-4088-0-02258400-1383630422_thumb.jp post-4088-0-26880200-1383630436_thumb.jp

• Upvote 5

I have a large clump of fire and ice blooming. Good to see lobster claw types blooming in SoCal.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

If you're in Sunset Zone 23, they should grow and bloom. Don't be afraid of thinning them, as they do spread when happy. A lot. Sometimes, a whole [expletive] lot . . .

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Heliconia schiedeana is the one that grows like a weed for me. I had H. collinsiana bloom for me last year but it died over the winter. The coral surprise & mexican gold both bloomed last year & made it through the winter to bloom this year. I bought Pedro Ortiz and griggsiana this summer and plan to plant them out next spring. Hopefully I can get some others to bloom.

Nice picts porkchop. Fire and ice going strong up here. Tried Rosata and "Sharoni" a couple years ago but neither made it.

-Nathan-

• 2 years later...
On 4/18/2016, 8:51:23, Matt in OC said:

Bump! Any other varieties to try outdoor in SoCal?

While i can't guarantee these will be the best candidates, i have heard they might stand a better chance outdoors there:

X Sharonii -stays small. Supposedly will handle some cold though id keep it in the warmest spot possible. Flowers like crazy. Easy in a large pot.

X Pedro Ortiz and Hot Rio Night(s). Thinking both of these are crosses that impart some degree of cold tolerance. Think both can get big.

Heliconia bourgeana which is one of the parents of Pedro Ortiz.

I think any hybrid that has H. schiedeana, or species from higher altitudes in their make up would work as well.

• Upvote 2

that's pretty inspiring. I've been wanting to grow some here in Phoenix, but afraid they'll just dry up with the lack of humidity here. Surprisingly though I successfully grow Shell ginger on the northside of the house and doing quite well. Not sure how close these two are in terms of growing conditions.

6 hours ago, raimeiken said:

that's pretty inspiring. I've been wanting to grow some here in Phoenix, but afraid they'll just dry up with the lack of humidity here. Surprisingly though I successfully grow Shell ginger on the northside of the house and doing quite well. Not sure how close these two are in terms of growing conditions.

I think a protected north, or east  exposure.. or under all day filtered shade is the way to go here in the Desert. 

Have Alpinia henryi " Pink Perfection", a small pinstripe, and a Hedychium which are all supposedly root hardy to zone 8.. Should be fine in most of the warmer parts of town like regular Shell Ginger.  Also brought a couple Heliconias ( H. stricta X huber "Las Cruses" and an unidentified offset someone had brought into the nursery id worked at in Sarasota).

As far as similarities, both like heat and water with Hedys and some of the Shell Gingers being far more cold tolerant than most Heliconia. Both my grandma and an Aunt had the same standard yellow form of  a Hedychium back in San Jose. ( think one of them brought it back from a family member's home in Hawaii). My Aunt's grew/flowered like crazy on the N.E. side of her side yard. (stays wetter there as well/ shaded from afternoon sun). Grandma's always struggled/ burnt up in a bed that faces due west into the afternoon sun with less consistent watering.

Id imagine planting them near a pond or water feature would help with humidity/ keeping the consistently soil moist here( like Elephant Ears ). Frost damage/ cool weather related growth issues during the winter would likely be the biggest challenge, even with those crosses/species that supposedly tolerate cold better. Still wouldn't keep me from trying though. There can always be surprises.

Also trying a few Crinums. Saw pictures awhile back of both the regular Green, and Red-leaved variety of C. asiaticum growing somewhere here in Phoenix. Ones i have are just species types.

Edited by Silas_Sancona
  • Upvote 1

• 11 months later...

Trial and error has paid off. Here is another variety that seems to be doing well for me outside. The clump should have about a dozen blooms on it soon. Here is the first bloom that opened up. I couldn't resist cutting and displaying it inside for my wife

IMG_6395.jpg

IMG_6397.jpg

• Upvote 9

Anybody growing heliconia outside in CA

I received some starts of a variety for free from a stranger after parking in front of their home near the beach.  It ended up getting way out of control, and my wife insisted I dig them all up.  I never did know the name, but it had an interesting flower, shown at different stages of opening.58f2f5144b098_20090613-IMG_3391Carlsbadh58f2f492501cf_20111106-IMG_8932Carlsbadh

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

On 4/14/2017, 2:47:12, porkchop said:

Trial and error has paid off. Here is another variety that seems to be doing well for me outside. The clump should have about a dozen blooms on it soon. Here is the first bloom that opened up. I couldn't resist cutting and displaying it inside for my wife

IMG_6395.jpg

IMG_6397.jpg

Outstanding. What species is this?

I lost the tag for this clump ... but I think it is "Hot Rio Nights"

• Upvote 3

21 hours ago, porkchop said:

I lost the tag for this clump ... but I think it is "Hot Rio Nights"

Thanks, looks like they are hard to source in CA, but will keep looking!

I just got these three (see image below) this week from http://www.plantgrouphawaii.com/heliconia---cold-hardy  They seem to be nice, vigorous cuttings of 

H. psittacorum hyb. 'Alan Carle'  |   H. psittacorum  hyb. 'Nickeriensis' | Heliconia caribaea x bihai 'Richmond Red'

Since I'm in central NorCal, I'll keep them outdoors in light shade for most of the year and in my (unheated) sunroom during winter.  Hopefully they'll overwinter better than my H. zebrina. It grew well indoors, put up multiple shoots but never bloomed and then declined. I should probably stick with Hedychiums, but I like a challenge! ;)

HawaiianHeliconia.jpg

• Upvote 5

11 hours ago, Matt in OC said:

Thanks, looks like they are hard to source in CA, but will keep looking!

Porkchop, not 100% but yours might be X " Pedro Ortiz" . Thinking Rio has thinner bracts compared to the flower pictured. Regardless, Great specimen btw.  Nice to see people flowering these there in Southern Cal.

Matt, maybe Aloha tropicals in Ocenside/Vista? If they're still selling plants. If not, Plant Group Hawaii should stock many Heliconia species/ cultivars. 

Hillizard, good luck with your trials. 

Edited by Silas_Sancona
  • Upvote 1

Just ordered some trials from Plant Group Hawaii.  Hoping for the best. My motto is, if you not risking your not trying.

• Upvote 1

On 4/18/2017, 9:58:50, Silas_Sancona said:

Porkchop, not 100% but yours might be X " Pedro Ortiz" . Thinking Rio has thinner bracts compared to the flower pictured. Regardless, Great specimen btw.  Nice to see people flowering these there in Southern Cal.

Matt, maybe Aloha tropicals in Ocenside/Vista? If they're still selling plants. If not, Plant Group Hawaii should stock many Heliconia species/ cultivars. 

Hillizard, good luck with your trials. 

I think you are right...  Its got to be "Pedro Ortiz". I know I have Rio Nights in the yard somewhere ...

• 1 year later...

any updates from you growers? or have any new ones you're trying?

I'm thinking of ordering a few (from plantgrouphawaii) and trying them out here in AZ. I have a few protected spots in my yard now for them. I'm hoping the humidity coming this monsoon season will help them.

35 minutes ago, raimeiken said:

any updates from you growers? or have any new ones you're trying?

I'm thinking of ordering a few (from plantgrouphawaii) and trying them out here in AZ. I have a few protected spots in my yard now for them. I'm hoping the humidity coming this monsoon season will help them.

Pink Perfection is the only "Ginger" i have that is still alive here.. that said, my two specimens are in pots atm and i have very limited overhead shade so i see burn no matter what... Pretty sure if our yard was fully shaded, ( Backyard  faces due west, shade is provided only on the S.W. corner by a giant Mesquite) and were staying put, id put them in the ground where i'm sure they would fill out..with extra water of course.. Have seen nice looking regular shell Ginger, planted next to a Koi pond in almost all day sun, hold up nicely out in Queen Creek. 

If you have the shade ( after 10 / 11am - sunset) , especially where any water might collect,  i'd say start with some of the hardier varieties / hybrids, then work down to some of the more touchy ones..  I'm sure there should be at least a few that should do good here.. I mean it really doesn't get all that cold in the winter in town and if it does, any flower bearing stalks can easily be protected for the few days it might frost, if need be... Would also wait until Monsoon season to purchase / plant out if i were looking to try some here myself.. 

If the July-October forecasts i have seen come true, this might turn out to be be a pretty good year. In fact, today's update to the 14 day forecast is still suggesting the possibility of an early preview starting sometime later next week.. Fingers crossed. 

Would really enjoy the experience of a really wet, long, and widespread monsoon season before moving. Doubt i'm the only person hoping for the same thing:greenthumb:

-Nathan

• Upvote 2

my 3+ year old row of shell gingers have been flowering like crazy this spring and still are right now (pic below is from my garden). They do fry up a bit during the summer here but recovers by fall. They're planted on an east facing side of my house. I purchased a few Hedychium rhizomes earlier this spring. So far two have sprouted and growing nicely. 

I'm thinking of getting these heliconias, due to their tolerance to cold according to the website.

Heliconia bihai 'Guapa'

Heliconia caribaea x bihai 'Prince of Darkness'

Heliconia marginata x bihai 'Rauliniana'

Heliconia pendula x bihai 'Hot Rio Nites'

and also wanna try a torch ginger

Etlingera elatior 'Dala'

WP_20180525_05_24_57_Pro_e.jpg

• Upvote 2

On 4/18/2017, 8:38:30, Hillizard said:

I just got these three (see image below) this week from http://www.plantgrouphawaii.com/heliconia---cold-hardy  They seem to be nice, vigorous cuttings of 

H. psittacorum hyb. 'Alan Carle'  |   H. psittacorum  hyb. 'Nickeriensis' | Heliconia caribaea x bihai 'Richmond Red'

Since I'm in central NorCal, I'll keep them outdoors in light shade for most of the year and in my (unheated) sunroom during winter.  Hopefully they'll overwinter better than my H. zebrina. It grew well indoors, put up multiple shoots but never bloomed and then declined. I should probably stick with Hedychiums, but I like a challenge! ;)

HawaiianHeliconia.jpg

None of these three Heliconia cultivars (above) made it through our relatively mild NorCal winter. :( I'm disappointed but decided that to grow this genus well, I should keep them in my sunroom year-round. I've got several types of Hedychium outdoors and they did fine this winter, so they were my consolation. An added plus of that genus are the scents!

• Upvote 1

how cold did it get down in your area? and how tall did your plants get before winter? any over head protection from frost?

1 hour ago, raimeiken said:

how cold did it get down in your area? and how tall did your plants get before winter? any over head protection from frost?

Raimeiken: The Heliconia plants got to be about 1.5-2 ft. in height last summer. I believe the temps. dipped below 30 deg.F this past winter on only a few nights (I should get a high-low thermometer). Each plant was in a large, black plastic pot filled with standard potting mix, on concrete, under a roof overhang, with an Eastern exposure, and next to a window (for radiant heat during the night). All their above-ground leaves and stems died down over the winter. The rhizomes were rotten by spring.

If I try again I'll get some dwarf, variegated varieties and grow them indoors. ;)

• Upvote 1

ah i see. probably if they were planted in ground would have done better. potted plants get affected by freezing temps much easier than when a plants' roots are in ground and mulched over. Maybe try one in ground next time with southern exposure?

40 minutes ago, raimeiken said:

ah i see. probably if they were planted in ground would have done better. potted plants get affected by freezing temps much easier than when a plants' roots are in ground and mulched over. Maybe try one in ground next time with southern exposure?

Good suggestions. I may try a dwarf in semi-shade in a southern exposure... in the future.

I have what I believe is scheidiana in the ground here in Fresno. I had no cold damage and am crossing my fingers for blooms this summer. It's a very prolific variety, I bet they would grow better too if i watered them more. 

2 hours ago, Hillizard said:

Good suggestions. I may try a dwarf in semi-shade in a southern exposure... in the future.

12 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

I have what I believe is scheidiana in the ground here in Fresno. I had no cold damage and am crossing my fingers for blooms this summer. It's a very prolific variety, I bet they would grow better too if i watered them more. 

Josue: That species looks like one I could grow here in my zone in shade. Thanks for the tip!

13 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

I think it's dry and hot there in Fresno too right? Did you heliconias suffer from that? and are yours planted in shade?

55 minutes ago, raimeiken said:

I think it's dry and hot there in Fresno too right? Did you heliconias suffer from that? and are yours planted in shade?

They are in shade with morning sun. They seem to do well, no dry tips or anything. I'll get a picture of them later. 

2 hours ago, Hillizard said:

Josue: That species looks like one I could grow here in my zone in shade. Thanks for the tip!

They were a gift from a friend who has grown them here in Fresno for many years. He said they were originally from a clump growing at the LA arboretum and called them fire and ice, although i haven't had blooms on mine yet. Send me a PM if you'd like one to try out. 

Edited by Josue Diaz
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Josue Diaz said:

They are in shade with morning sun. They seem to do well, no dry tips or anything. I'll get a picture of them later. 

They were a gift from a friend who has grown them here in Fresno for many years. He said they were originally from a clump growing at the LA arboretum and called them fire and ice, although i haven't had blooms on mine yet. Send me a PM if you'd like one to try out. 

Thanks. Will send a PM. Perhaps we can exchange plants? I have a couple of things you might like.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, raimeiken said:

19 hours ago, Hillizard said:

Thanks. Will send a PM. Perhaps we can exchange plants? I have a couple of things you might like.

Here are pictures of mine in morning sun. I'm expecting flowers this year. 

20180602_091911.thumb.jpg.41bb9671f6a936

• Upvote 4

Schiedeana is a easy Heliconia for me. Grows fast in partial sun and every years it has lots of flowers.

These are the first in this season, picture from 1 hour ago.

IMG_20180603_132303.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

18 hours ago, raimeiken said:

nice! how often do you water them?

That bed gets watered every two to three days as needed. It's where i grow chamaedorea and other shade and water loving plants 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Monòver said:

Schiedeana is a easy Heliconia for me. Grows fast in partial sun and every years it has lots of flowers.

These are the first in this season, picture from 1 hour ago.

IMG_20180603_132303.jpg

looks so awesome!

Time for me to remove large amounts of the Scheideana if anyone wants some..

• Upvote 2

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!