Anybody growing heliconia outside in CA ... a few blooming for me

20 posts in this topic

I have had success with a few heliconia outside. Dwarf Rostrata, Mexican Gold & Coral Surprise. I have a few others in the ground that are trucking along but no blooms yet.

post-4088-0-57053800-1383630388_thumb.jp post-4088-0-88016800-1383630402_thumb.jp

post-4088-0-02258400-1383630422_thumb.jp post-4088-0-26880200-1383630436_thumb.jp

I have a large clump of fire and ice blooming. Good to see lobster claw types blooming in SoCal.

If you're in Sunset Zone 23, they should grow and bloom. Don't be afraid of thinning them, as they do spread when happy. A lot. Sometimes, a whole [expletive] lot . . .

Heliconia schiedeana is the one that grows like a weed for me. I had H. collinsiana bloom for me last year but it died over the winter. The coral surprise & mexican gold both bloomed last year & made it through the winter to bloom this year. I bought Pedro Ortiz and griggsiana this summer and plan to plant them out next spring. Hopefully I can get some others to bloom.

Nice picts porkchop. Fire and ice going strong up here. Tried Rosata and "Sharoni" a couple years ago but neither made it.

-Nathan-

Bump! Any other varieties to try outdoor in SoCal?

On 4/18/2016, 8:51:23, Matt in OC said:

Bump! Any other varieties to try outdoor in SoCal?

While i can't guarantee these will be the best candidates, i have heard they might stand a better chance outdoors there:

X Sharonii -stays small. Supposedly will handle some cold though id keep it in the warmest spot possible. Flowers like crazy. Easy in a large pot.

X Pedro Ortiz and Hot Rio Night(s). Thinking both of these are crosses that impart some degree of cold tolerance. Think both can get big.

Heliconia bourgeana which is one of the parents of Pedro Ortiz.

I think any hybrid that has H. schiedeana, or species from higher altitudes in their make up would work as well.

that's pretty inspiring. I've been wanting to grow some here in Phoenix, but afraid they'll just dry up with the lack of humidity here. Surprisingly though I successfully grow Shell ginger on the northside of the house and doing quite well. Not sure how close these two are in terms of growing conditions.

Here is a variety I am growing in Laguna Hills.

20160320_184404.jpg

6 hours ago, raimeiken said:

that's pretty inspiring. I've been wanting to grow some here in Phoenix, but afraid they'll just dry up with the lack of humidity here. Surprisingly though I successfully grow Shell ginger on the northside of the house and doing quite well. Not sure how close these two are in terms of growing conditions.

I think a protected north, or east  exposure.. or under all day filtered shade is the way to go here in the Desert. 

Have Alpinia henryi " Pink Perfection", a small pinstripe, and a Hedychium which are all supposedly root hardy to zone 8.. Should be fine in most of the warmer parts of town like regular Shell Ginger.  Also brought a couple Heliconias ( H. stricta X huber "Las Cruses" and an unidentified offset someone had brought into the nursery id worked at in Sarasota).

As far as similarities, both like heat and water with Hedys and some of the Shell Gingers being far more cold tolerant than most Heliconia. Both my grandma and an Aunt had the same standard yellow form of  a Hedychium back in San Jose. ( think one of them brought it back from a family member's home in Hawaii). My Aunt's grew/flowered like crazy on the N.E. side of her side yard. (stays wetter there as well/ shaded from afternoon sun). Grandma's always struggled/ burnt up in a bed that faces due west into the afternoon sun with less consistent watering.

Id imagine planting them near a pond or water feature would help with humidity/ keeping the consistently soil moist here( like Elephant Ears ). Frost damage/ cool weather related growth issues during the winter would likely be the biggest challenge, even with those crosses/species that supposedly tolerate cold better. Still wouldn't keep me from trying though. There can always be surprises.

Also trying a few Crinums. Saw pictures awhile back of both the regular Green, and Red-leaved variety of C. asiaticum growing somewhere here in Phoenix. Ones i have are just species types.

Edited by Silas_Sancona

Trial and error has paid off. Here is another variety that seems to be doing well for me outside. The clump should have about a dozen blooms on it soon. Here is the first bloom that opened up. I couldn't resist cutting and displaying it inside for my wife

IMG_6395.jpg

IMG_6397.jpg

Anybody growing heliconia outside in CA

I received some starts of a variety for free from a stranger after parking in front of their home near the beach.  It ended up getting way out of control, and my wife insisted I dig them all up.  I never did know the name, but it had an interesting flower, shown at different stages of opening.58f2f5144b098_20090613-IMG_3391Carlsbadh58f2f492501cf_20111106-IMG_8932Carlsbadh

On 4/14/2017, 2:47:12, porkchop said:

Trial and error has paid off. Here is another variety that seems to be doing well for me outside. The clump should have about a dozen blooms on it soon. Here is the first bloom that opened up. I couldn't resist cutting and displaying it inside for my wife

IMG_6395.jpg

IMG_6397.jpg

Outstanding. What species is this?

I lost the tag for this clump ... but I think it is "Hot Rio Nights"

Tracey ... I'm pretty sure yours is Schiedeana

21 hours ago, porkchop said:

I lost the tag for this clump ... but I think it is "Hot Rio Nights"

Thanks, looks like they are hard to source in CA, but will keep looking!

I just got these three (see image below) this week from http://www.plantgrouphawaii.com/heliconia---cold-hardy  They seem to be nice, vigorous cuttings of 

H. psittacorum hyb. 'Alan Carle'  |   H. psittacorum  hyb. 'Nickeriensis' | Heliconia caribaea x bihai 'Richmond Red'

Since I'm in central NorCal, I'll keep them outdoors in light shade for most of the year and in my (unheated) sunroom during winter.  Hopefully they'll overwinter better than my H. zebrina. It grew well indoors, put up multiple shoots but never bloomed and then declined. I should probably stick with Hedychiums, but I like a challenge! ;)

HawaiianHeliconia.jpg

Posted (edited)

11 hours ago, Matt in OC said:

Thanks, looks like they are hard to source in CA, but will keep looking!

Porkchop, not 100% but yours might be X " Pedro Ortiz" . Thinking Rio has thinner bracts compared to the flower pictured. Regardless, Great specimen btw.  Nice to see people flowering these there in Southern Cal.

Matt, maybe Aloha tropicals in Ocenside/Vista? If they're still selling plants. If not, Plant Group Hawaii should stock many Heliconia species/ cultivars. 

Hillizard, good luck with your trials. 

Edited by Silas_Sancona

Just ordered some trials from Plant Group Hawaii.  Hoping for the best. My motto is, if you not risking your not trying.

On 4/18/2017, 9:58:50, Silas_Sancona said:

Porkchop, not 100% but yours might be X " Pedro Ortiz" . Thinking Rio has thinner bracts compared to the flower pictured. Regardless, Great specimen btw.  Nice to see people flowering these there in Southern Cal.

Matt, maybe Aloha tropicals in Ocenside/Vista? If they're still selling plants. If not, Plant Group Hawaii should stock many Heliconia species/ cultivars. 

Hillizard, good luck with your trials. 

I think you are right...  Its got to be "Pedro Ortiz". I know I have Rio Nights in the yard somewhere ...