IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Request for new academic sub forum focused on the biology, botany, and ethnobotany of palms

Mauna Kea Cloudforest

A lot of us in the IPS are avid horticulturists and gareners, and much of the topics on PalmTalk are driven by horticultural interests. But I'd like to see the other part of the IPS represented on PalmTalk. It would really be nice if PalmTalk could have a more hard core scientific section where members could really discuss some non-horticutural topics.

I can come up with a good list of topics related to palms that I'd love to see discussed:

• Palm Biology
  • Palm Botany and the classification of palms
  • The importance of Palms in biodiversity and actions to preserve palm biodiversity arond the globe
  • The ethnoboteny of palms
  • Palms and palaeobotany
  • Palms within an agricultural context

Anyway, this is just the beginnign of a list, and such a forum could help to perhaps get the rest of the community into PalmTalk.

• Upvote 1

I vote YES!

Lee

Lee

Located at 1500' elevation in Kona on the west side of the Big Island of Hawaii.

Average annual rainfall is about 60"; temperature around 80 degrees.

Didn't you leave, forever? Again! Good to see you back but you are flogging a dead horse with this one Axel.

PMs are back, so the reason for leaving is gone. This request is a dead horse? Been done before? Must have been before my time.

• Upvote 1

Didn't you leave, forever? Again! Good to see you back but you are flogging a dead horse with this one Axel.

PMs are back, so the reason for leaving is gone. This request is a dead horse? Been done before? Must have been before my time.

I could be wrong but just don't see a bunch of botanists hanging out here to chew the cud. Would be good if they did for sure.

Axel,

Ask anyone here. I almost always nix the idea of creating new sub-forums without even thinking. If I didn't we would have the kind of forum I hate - where a new person spends an hour figuring out where to post. I've seen some with 25 sub-forums and with sub-forums under those sub-forums.

But - I think this may have merit. And another but - now is not the time. There are some changes coming and I will keep this in mind as discussions begin. My thinking as to why it has merit is that more than one "scientific" dude has expressed that PT is too "layman" for them. I know, sounds a little snobby, but I can understand. With a more academically slanted area, they would no longer have that excuse, and I am thinking we could/should get more of the IPS botanists to check in and contribute more often if they felt there were people that would read and understand what is their passion. But Rich could be right.

However, I am never adverse to trying things that wouldn't cause any lasting harm.

So I'll keep this in mind. Please remind me in 3-4 weeks if I don't update you.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

Sorry - I should have read this thread before I posted exactly the same idea in the other thread.

It makes perfect sense to me...scientists are people too...almost!!

Cheers,

Jonathan

South Arm, Tasmania, Australia - 42° South

Mild oceanic climate, with coastal exposure.

Summer: 12°C (53°F) average min, to 21°C (70°F) average daily max. Up to 40°C (104°F max) rarely.

Winter: 6°C (43°F) average min, to 13°C (55°F) average daily max. Down to 0°C (32°F) occasionally, some light frost.

Good idea Axel

But huge work! I would add on the list : "Palms in habitat photographs"

And since you wrote: Palm Botany and the classification of palms I must notice that I got no reply on my post "Euterpe microspadix", which species is sold under this name by Floribundapalms (thank you Jeff) but seems to be synonym of Prestoea acuminata var. acuminata .

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

What's wrong with putting all that scientific stuff on the main palm forum, like we do and did?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

What's wrong with putting all that scientific stuff on the main palm forum, like we do and did?

There's nothing wrong with that, but a forum dedicated to science might draw a slightly different audience and promote more discusisons. I've seen scientific posts in the main forum and they often don't get the right attention simply because the volume of gardening posts just drowns them out.

• 5 weeks later...

Axel,

Ask anyone here. I almost always nix the idea of creating new sub-forums without even thinking. If I didn't we would have the kind of forum I hate - where a new person spends an hour figuring out where to post. I've seen some with 25 sub-forums and with sub-forums under those sub-forums.

But - I think this may have merit. And another but - now is not the time. There are some changes coming and I will keep this in mind as discussions begin. My thinking as to why it has merit is that more than one "scientific" dude has expressed that PT is too "layman" for them. I know, sounds a little snobby, but I can understand. With a more academically slanted area, they would no longer have that excuse, and I am thinking we could/should get more of the IPS botanists to check in and contribute more often if they felt there were people that would read and understand what is their passion. But Rich could be right.

However, I am never adverse to trying things that wouldn't cause any lasting harm.

So I'll keep this in mind. Please remind me in 3-4 weeks if I don't update you.

I think we should create another forum under the IPS only section for Palms issues. This is a no-brainer!

I would follow such a sub-forum. Probably with mostly questions rather than answers, but I would be interested.

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

palm talk is already too splintered. how many people look at the travel forum or the cold hardy forum or the Spanish language forum?

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

palm talk is already too splintered. how many people look at the travel forum or the cold hardy forum or the Spanish language forum?

I do, quite frequently. Why not let the sub-forums be self-selective, those that are interested will seek out the sub-forums.

the tumbleweeds blowing through are kind of distracting.

still "warning-free."

• 3 weeks later...

I also like this idea. Books and online information do not give me the opportunity to ask my own questions and learn from the questions asked my other members. I would follow it no matter when it appeared

Lee

Lee

Located at 1500' elevation in Kona on the west side of the Big Island of Hawaii.

Average annual rainfall is about 60"; temperature around 80 degrees.

• 4 months later...

Why not? They nixed the idea of a cold hardy forum at first. Look at it now. It has almost as many posts as the Spanish Sub forum started 5 years earlier then the cold hardy one. It is only a few clicks to make a new sub forum if it does not have much response take it down.

• 2 weeks later...

I concur with Dave. I love a meaty scientific thread and there have been many in the main forum. Sure they entwine with regular posts, "look at my lutescens, isn't it nice ". There's nothing stopping scientific observations and comments inside these threads. Bring it on, in the main forum.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I use the "View New Content" feature and rarely pay attention to the name of the forum.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I use the "View New Content" feature and rarely pay attention to the name of the forum.

Same here Keith - that way everything is in one "Forum" - just sorted between the old and new.

But for now we are on hold for new or different features, as many things may be revised here soon.

Same here Keith - that way everything is in one "Forum" - just sorted between the old and new.

But for now we are on hold for new or different features, as many things may be revised here soon.

I am excited about what is to come, and can't wait to hear about the next evolution of PT and the IPS site.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

That's how I found this post. Our members post some very cool stuff, the learning never stops here on PalmTalk!

We have had some very scientific stuff here from members that may have never posted or published anything but they love us here on PalmTalk and are ready to help.

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

If our moderator could do a pinned post about the 'new content' feature, that would help, because only very advanced users take advantage of it. A lot of posts don't get any traffic unless they're at the top of the main forum.

I have in the past, several times - and have mentioned New Content Feature dozens of times in posts and replies. And pinned topics??? --- What's ironic is that Pinned topics don't even get that many views.

I have found that the reality is that people get used to doing things a certain way, and they are very reluctant to try a new system and change their "routine." Over the years I have verbally tried to sell some heavy users of PT on using New Content when I find myself face to face - repeatedly, and they still don't use it.

Besides New Content there are many other ways and features that Forum softwares offer to make your viewing experience faster and more convenient - but you have to be curious and want to make the effort to explore and learn.

For example - how many of you have clicked on the "Help" button at the bottom to the page to read about some of these features?

Now we need a new topic for the new topic in the new section for the new people (and old) to learn new things... :mrlooney:

Dean? What if one day the "new content" button was huge? Like most of the main page. With a note saying try this...lol

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

I have in the past, several times - and have mentioned New Content Feature dozens of times in posts and replies. And pinned topics??? --- What's ironic is that Pinned topics don't even get that many views.

I have found that the reality is that people get used to doing things a certain way, and they are very reluctant to try a new system and change their "routine." Over the years I have verbally tried to sell some heavy users of PT on using New Content when I find myself face to face - repeatedly, and they still don't use it.

Besides New Content there are many other ways and features that Forum softwares offer to make your viewing experience faster and more convenient - but you have to be curious and want to make the effort to explore and learn.

For example - how many of you have clicked on the "Help" button at the bottom to the page to read about some of these features?

Great, so let's all stop using the 'new content' feature as an argument for not adding a subforum.

I realize this request is pointless anyway, I think it's easier to get a bill passed in Congress than it is to get anything done with the ips.

i would be happy to click on the "help" button but i need help finding it. :bemused:

still "warning-free."

• 3 weeks later...

Good idea

Regards

Colin

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia