IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ken Adcock has passed away

Tyrone

On Sat 12th of October 2013, Ken Adcock, one of the founding members of the Palm and Cycad Society of Western Australia passed away.

Ken worked for a long time in the WA Agricultural department and his love of palms was shared by his close friend and work colleague Peter Skinner. Together they decided to start PACSOWA back in 80's.

I always found Ken a very helpful and knowledgable individual who was very supportive of those interested in gardens, but especially palms and cycads. His passing comes as a huge shock and he will be greatly missed. The WA tropical plant growing scene will be much poorer due to his absence.

Goodbye Ken.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Sad news,

I didn't know Ken of course since I am new in Palm community and living in Europe, but I share the sadness of all his friends.

sincères condoléances.

Kindest regards

Philippe

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Just returned from Ken's funeral. About 300 were there to pay their respects. Ken was one of those remarkable characters that had an infectious enthusiasm for anything to do with nature and life. His early years were spent on his parents Carnarvon banana plantation. As already mentioned he was one of the cofounders of the WA Palm & Cycad Society, he ran an orchid nursery, ran a palm and cycad nursery, grew ferns and was a member of the WA Fern society, headed up horticultural research projects at UWA, he was responsible for introducing the "sweet lupin" into agriculture in Australia, and was a wealth of knowledge on virtually anything alive. In his later years he started breeding difficult to grow and breed poultry, and just last month one first prize at the Perth Royal Show for some of his poultry. He was so busy growing his plants, incubating his little chicks inside his house, keeping his tropical fish and running nurseries, that he never had time for a wife. He was a generous man, but a man where you knew exactly what he thought of you. He called a spade a spade.

It's been said that you can tell the greatness of a person by what they leave behind to grow. In Ken's case, it was said that if it would germinate or hatch from an egg, Ken would grow it. Ken could grow palms and cycads like no one else. At the annual palm show and sale his plants were top notch A grade plants. I have a few of his plants in my garden and collection now, and there are many many more people in WA like me who would have plants that have been germinated or grown by Ken in there garden.

He will be missed greatly.

post-63-0-63753200-1382940564_thumb.jpg

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.