IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Suggestion to the IPS BOD - Elections

Dr. George

If the Board of Directors has interest in increasing participation of its members in the process of electing directors, I would suggest that they consider making more use of the IPS website :

1. Require each candidate to submit a candidate statement and post those on a member accessible page linked to the IPS home page. (On a linked page, list all nominees by district, click on nominee name to bring up statement).

2. Add voting on-line as an option for members - easily protected by log-in and password.

Additional observation: I notice that the IPS home page has a link to the PalmTalk forum, but the PalmTalk forum does not have an obvious link to the IPS home page - maybe add an IPS link to the menu bar at the top of the PT page along with Members, Forum, Calendar, Chat and Gallery.

gmp

• Upvote 1

George, you hit on an obvious glaring example of what is at issue here, not there is not an obvious link, but there is a need for a link at all. It should be one website. The IPS website is weak and reflects the lack of ability to change to a modern world. And that is what is at the heart of this matter.

• Upvote 1

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

From IPS website:

NOMINATIONS FOR IPS BOARD DIRECTORS FOR 2014 - 2018 TERM OF OFFICE

It is time for the election of those IPS Directors who will serve for the years 2014 to 2018. If there is anyone you know who can contribute to the goals of the International Palm Society and who is willing to dedicate the time necessary to serve as a Director, please submit his/her name for nomination.

November 20, 2013 is the deadline for Administrative Secretary Larry Noblick to receive nominations – so election ballots can be mailed with the December 2013 issue of Palms. Completed original ballots must be returned to Larry no later than March 15th, 2014 to be counted. Elections results will be announced on the IPS website in April 2014 and published in the Supplement to Palms.

Nominating requirements: A candidate must have been a Member of the Society for two years before being nominated as a Director. Any IPS Member may propose a candidate for nomination by writing an email or letter to the Administrative Secretary. A second nomination in writing from another Member is also required. The proposed candidate must submit to the Secretary a written consent of willingness to serve if nominated and elected, which should include a willingness to attend board meetings during his or her tenure. The proposed candidate must also send the Secretary a short palm-related biography, which will be included on the ballot.

When the above conditions have been met, the Secretary will forward the proposed candidates’ names to the Nominating Committee for consideration as nominees on the ballot.

Nominating Committee guidelines: Directors are elected for a four-year term with terms staggered so that approximately half the Directors will be installed at each Biennial meeting. The Nominating Committee will use the regional distribution of members as a guide for insuring appropriate global representation.

Duties and expectations of the IPS Directors: The IPS Board of Directors has general charge of the affairs and business of the Society as further stated in the Bylaws. Directors are expected to take an active role in the Board activities by serving on appropriate committees set up for specific tasks and concerns. The Board meets once a year, at the Biennial meeting and at an Interim Meeting.

An ability and willingness to travel to all (or most) of the annual Board Meetings at the Director’s own expense is, by necessity, a strong consideration used by the Nominating Committee when selecting candidates. Directors are also expected to be accessible by email and be responsive in addressing the business of the Society.

Directors for the 2014–2018 term will be installed at the Board of Directors Meeting in May 2014 at the South Florida Biennial.

Questions concerning the nominating and election process may be sent to Elena Beare, Chair of the IPS Nominating Committee; or Larry Noblick, IPS Administrative Secretary. Email messages are preferred.

Elena Beare
Chair of the Nominating Committee
Av Brasil 2377, Apartmento 1801
Montivideo 11300, Uruguay
Email: gelenabeare@adinet.com.uy

Larry Noblick
Administrative Secretary
Montgomery Botanical Center
11901 Old Cutler Rd.
Miami, Florida 33156-4242, USA
Email: larryn@montgomerybotanical.org

Persons interested in either running for the IPS Board of Directors or in nominating another person may also contact any member of the Nominations Committee.

I still don't know what to do!

Thanks for help!

Philippe

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

• 2 weeks later...

Philippe:

Many thanks for posting the Call for Nominations on Palm Talk. I am Chair of the Nominations Committee and my name is Elena Beare, from Uruguay. Can I help you in any way? I'm not used to PT, but shall try!

What is it you want to do?

Elena

E. Beare

Additional observation: I notice that the IPS home page has a link to the PalmTalk forum, but the PalmTalk forum does not have an obvious link to the IPS home page - maybe add an IPS link to the menu bar at the top of the PT page along with Members, Forum, Calendar, Chat and Gallery.

gmp

Actually, there IS a link. At the top of the page there is a palm tree, logo for the IPS. Click on that and you will reach palms.org.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

gmp

Actually, there IS a link. At the top of the page there is a palm tree, logo for the IPS. Click on that and you will reach palms.org.

Ah, the secret passage way - thanks - (still might be nice to add to the menu bar so is a bit more obvious) - gmp

gmp

Ah, the secret passage way - thanks - (still might be nice to add to the menu bar so is a bit more obvious) - gmp

Or we could just take the simpler route, like more everyone else out there - One website.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I am all for one website, and I believe it will happen, but it's definitely not "simpler" to create.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I am all for one website, and I believe it will happen, but it's definitely not "simpler" to create.

Agreed on not simpler to create, but that is a one-time cost. But, done properly, the benefits in cost, management, and especially from a cultural perspective will be reaped for years to come.

• Upvote 1

If the Board of Directors has interest in increasing participation of its members in the process of electing directors, I would suggest that they consider making more use of the IPS website :

1. Require each candidate to submit a candidate statement and post those on a member accessible page linked to the IPS home page. (On a linked page, list all nominees by district, click on nominee name to bring up statement).

2. Add voting on-line as an option for members - easily protected by log-in and password.

gmp

George - I guess you didn't realize that the IPS Logo at the top center of every page is a link to the IPS Site. That is why it says just above that logo that if you wish to join the IPS, click on the logo.

Apparently what I thought was obvious, was "not so much." But just as the PT logo is a link on the IPS site, the IPS logo is a link on the PalmTalk site.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

Philippe:

Many thanks for posting the Call for Nominations on Palm Talk. I am Chair of the Nominations Committee and my name is Elena Beare, from Uruguay. Can I help you in any way? I'm not used to PT, but shall try!

Elena

Elena,

Thank you for coming to Palm Talk and helping us understand the workings of IPS.

I have some questions relating to nominations.

What are the questions the nominating committee ask of prospective candidates?

Is the inability to travel to BOD meetings an automatic exclusion to being nominated?

What are the reasons a candidate would not be nominated for election?

Has there ever been anyone excluded from the ballot and for what reason?

If a member in good standing with the IPS expresses a written desire to become a director, and gets two other members in good standing to nominate him, is there any reason why he would be excluded from the ballot?

• Upvote 1

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Philippe:

Elena

Elena,

Thank you for coming to Palm Talk and helping us understand the workings of IPS.

I have some questions relating to nominations.

What are the questions the nominating committee ask of prospective candidates? There is a quetionnaire that is being revised at this moment. When ready, it will be posted on PT.

Is the inability to travel to BOD meetings an automatic exclusion to being nominated? Directors of the IPS attend Board Meetings, where proposals are discussed, voted, aproved or not; so candidates accept travelling as a Duty and expectation. Declaring an inability to travel to BOD meetings would difficult inclusion of a prospective candidate.

What are the reasons a candidate would not be nominated for election? If said candidate does not fulfill all Nominations requirements.

Has there ever been anyone excluded from the ballot and for what reason? I shall go to records and find out for you

If a member in good standing with the IPS expresses a written desire to become a director, and gets two other members in good standing to nominate him, is there any reason why he would be excluded from the ballot? If he/she meets all Nominations requirements, the answer to your question is no.

Jerry,

I have answered your questions in Italics above.

Will be back to you soon.

Elena

E. Beare

Thanks Elena!

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Jerry; I have asked the previous Chair of the Nominations Committee, and was told that during her term, nobody was excluded [if qualified] from the ballots

E. Beare

Elena,

Thank you for that very quick and honest response.

Jerry

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida