IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Caryota himalaya in the subtropics

Keith N Tampa (ex SoJax)

Here is a photo of Caryota himalaya in Winter Haven, FL. Its survived freezing weather for the past two years, including some pretty serious cold (in the low 20's) back in 2011-2012 when it nearly defoliated. Its recovered well. Obviously in this climate it could die any winter.

post-192-0-40657500-1382061512_thumb.jpg

Late winter 2013 (when it was laying on its side.... :rant: )

How do you rotate photos? Grrr

post-192-0-16837600-1382061295_thumb.jpg

October 2013

post-192-0-78792400-1382061344_thumb.jpg

View from a distance showing its size vs the house.

• Upvote 2

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

Keith,

Probably easiest to rotate the photo on your computer in windows explorer (file manager) before you upload it. Just find the file and right click. There should be a rotate option (assuming you're using windows).

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

How old is it from seed.

I have 1 that was basically given to me.

It overgrew both the pot and the greenhouse it was in.

Its acclimating nicely in my back yard with a gigas 15 feet away.

Cheers

• 3 years later...
1 hour ago, Jeff_Cabinda said:

What is the growth rate?

Fast, actually.  Summer 2016 we think it was struck by lightning though the Palm survived.  It did loose a recently opened frond, though.  My advice with these, don't let them get pot bound, and keep them watered.  The struggle in dry conditions.  Also, if you plant them in an open forest environment, they grow even faster.  So far we haven't had anything but light freezes for a long time. I know that's helped.  We'll try to get another photo soon. 

• Upvote 2

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

Here is the Caryota in April 2017.  It looks pretty good considering a lightning strike last summer, and only 9" of rain in the last 6.5 months.  You can see how the bamboo to the far right is virtually bare due to drought, though the one to left is still hanging in there.  This drought is separating the "men from the boys".

IMG_1170.JPG

• Upvote 2

2 strikes fer me in Jax ---- didnt wait fer the 3rd pitch meanwhile the C. mitus C. gigas (8  foot trunk) and C. ochlandra are roaring ( 20 +)   salute 

4 hours ago, edbrown_III said:

2 strikes fer me in Jax ---- didnt wait fer the 3rd pitch meanwhile the C. mitus C. gigas (8  foot trunk) and C. ochlandra are roaring ( 20 +)   salute 

Wow, that's great success, Ed.  I wish we had better soil because I'd try some other species.