IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

copernicia alba

sonoranfans

About two years ago ken Johnson stopped by with a delivery. He brought with him an extra palm, copernicia alba. It was a sad looking palm that ken said had been sitting in a container too long. I was concerned that it might not be so easy to make it happy. But ken said it would not be a problem as these are the easiest copernicias to grow. So I put it in the ground sept 2011, and the first year it grew a few elongated fronds, but the second summer it just started launching spears and is still doing so in october. You can see the first years growth is near horizontal and the second years growth obviously upright. Here are the before and after pics sept 2011 and sept 2013. Its a great little blue palm that now occupies my "blue part of the yard" along with bismarckia, sabal uresana, butia yatay, brahea clara and serenoa repens. Its the most cold hardy copernicia, reportedly good to 21-22F, a fine 9a palm. Any body else out there have a copernicia alba?

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Mines moving right along aswell...

post-3028-0-66256100-1381081100_thumb.jp

Edited by Palmə häl′ik

Brandon, FL

27.95°N 82.28°W (Elev. 62 ft)

Zone9 w/ canopy

Wow, so beautiful! I love these. I am growing both alba and prunifera but they are slower here in California. Lucky you are driving distance from Ken's nursery.

We shall see how my 3 new 2-years old do their first winter in the ground.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

That thing drinks straight AC condensor runoff plus roof gutter runoff too right Scott?

Bruisah mahn!

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy

Oh its the majesty next to it that drinks good....

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy

That thing drinks straight AC condensor runoff plus roof gutter runoff too right Scott?

Bruisah mahn!

Ray, Yes, they both grow in a very damp area with the gutter runoff right between the two.

Whoa! Magnificent palm Scott, cant get happier looking that that! And Ray, the blue on yours is :greenthumb:

Yes....Ive seen this guy a few times and it is definitely the biggest/nicest alba in the area. I planted 4 of them in my yard by the street in a row and I hope in a few years (10) they will start to look like Scott's. If I recall correctly, Scott noted this palm is pretty stinking fast.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Lets not forget the "shortcut" in growth by workin' w/ a specimen type guy such as Ken...

post-3028-0-91232000-1381169189_thumb.jp

post-3028-0-69452400-1381169202_thumb.jp

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy

Lets not forget the "shortcut" in growth by workin' w/ a specimen type guy such as Ken...

IMO, these palms are fast enough to buy and plant as 3-7 gal size. In 5-7 years this palm seems like it can go from a 3-7 gallon to the size of the one in Tom's yard. My father planted one in his yard in ~2007/2008 that was that size, and now has a bunch of trunk and probably 50 fronds on it!

Edited by spockvr6

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Yeah Ive taken that shortcut quite a few times, and Kens prices are so good it made sense, as I was trying to get some palm canopy and windbreak. But albas are fast as larry points out, generally no need to get a big one. I really like the trunks of these with the many grey leaf bases.

Tom Blank

What kind of first year growth would you expect out of 2 yr old seedling put into the ground.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

What kind of first year growth would you expect out of 2 yr old seedling put into the ground.

Keith, I raised one from seed and found the first 2yrs the slowest, the 3rd and 4th years moderate. The growth rate on mine picked up in the 5th year. After 9 yrs now the palm is about 10ft tall to emerging spear. I will get some photos this afternoon.

Edited by Tampa Scott

Keith, I raised one from seed and found the first 2yrs the slowest, the 3rd and 4th years moderate. The growth rate on mine picked up in the 5th year. After 9 yrs now the palm is about 10ft tall to emerging spear. I will get some photos this afternoon.

:)

:)attachicon.gifpicresized_1381262334_IMG_3140.jpgattachicon.gifpicresized_1381263199_IMG_3143.jpg

gorgeous palm scott! The blue with those silver gray leaf bases really makes this palm a standout. I understand that the green form is notably faster. Rod Anderson in Phoenix had a green and a silver/blue form and the green one was ~ 4-5' taller after 11 years.

Tom Blank

That shorter one looks money Scott.

How long will that trunk stay flared out like that?

Schweet!

Larry, believe it or not those seedlings are a little over three years old.... Its time for em to pickup the pace!

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy