IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis sp "Big Red"

LJG

Had to take a photo of this palm. It is really setting in nicely now. This plant seems aligned to Leptocheilos but is heeled, has black tomentum and a bluefish sheen to leaves. It is a plant that Mardy Darian got seed of many years ago.

post-430-0-81981100-1380521490_thumb.jpg

post-430-0-08985600-1380521494_thumb.jpg

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I have to echo what Len said... except mine does not have a "bluefish sheen" B) but my leaves are a bluegreen tint as such.. :D

And that Black crown, hard to miss or match that.

post-27-0-26172900-1380505091_thumb.jpg post-27-0-92497000-1380505240_thumb.jpg

Glad you posted Len, looking great. I think mine wishes it had a little more heat.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Damn. iPhone autocorrect to bluefish and it flipped my photos even after I saved the flipped edit.

Dean, can you flip these for me or allow me to edit?

Mod Edit: Sorry lost one somehow.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Even with heat these are dog slow..

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Thanks Dean. Here is the image that was removed showing the blue sheen to leaves.

Bill, yours is looking great. Wal, this one isn't too slow. Not far behind a Lepto.

post-649-0-09389200-1380556283_thumb.jpg

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

nice

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

This is also known as 'highland redneck' yes?

No, I don't believe so.

As far as I know, and based on comments from other knowledgeable growers that have seen mine, this may be one palm that Mardy brought in that has not yet come around again through other means.

But I will be corrected if I am wrong - and it won't be the first time I have stuck my Dypsis foot in my Dypsis mouth.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

This is also known as 'highland redneck' yes?

No, I don't believe so.As far as I know, and based on comments from other knowledgeable growers that have seen mine, this may be one palm that Mardy brought in that has not yet come around again through other means.But I will be corrected if I am wrong - and it won't be the first time I have stuck my Dypsis foot in my Dypsis mouth.
I think there is a chance NApalm could be talking about the same palm. I know there are many Dypsis around labelled " highland redneck" and this makes it tricky..... But I think NApalm bought a palm off me that could be the same as what Len has posted??

Our palms came from Bill Beattie and they had "highland redneck" tags on them, Bill grew them from seed he collected / acquired and was very certain they were quite different from Lepto' s and Lastie's.

Is it possible Mardy and Bill had the same seed? There are not too many sp. around that have as much red fuzz as Lepto's, Lastie's and maybe this one??

Kenny, I also have a plant from Bill Beattie that Gary and I grew from seed call the Dwarf Highland Redneck from Bill's tree. They sure look the same to me. But I want to wait until they trunk. This "Big Red" has a white trunk like a Lepto. Looking at Bill's photo from the wild and his tree at his house, it seems the trunk is black? Might just be a cultural thing. But looking at the two side by side in the ground at my house, I would say they are the same right now.

Do you have any pics of yours Kenny?

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

I have to echo what Len said... except mine does not have a "bluefish sheen" B) but my leaves are a bluegreen tint as such.. :D

And that Black crown, hard to miss or match that.

attachicon.gif20130929_182439.jpg attachicon.gif20130929_182542.jpg

Glad you posted Len, looking great. I think mine wishes it had a little more heat.

It looks pretty happy to me Bill

• Upvote 1

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Interesting the different names on the other side of the world... What "we" in So Cal called the "highland redneck" has recently become the Dypsis nauseosa. What Len says Bill Beattie called the "dwarf highland redneck" to me looks to be the same as Big Red...

BUT, the nauseosa and Big red ARE NOT the same palm.. (refer to my past thread on the 4 lastelliana of the Apocolypse...) :)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Funny how it is 'Dwarf' on one side of the world and 'Big' on the other! :)

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Daryl, I might be confusing two different palms. I know for sure there is a dwarf one as I saw a habitat photo of one short stocky redneck palm he called this. I assumed this was also the plant he had seed off from his tree in Oz. Gary Levine has photos of his tree and the habitat photo maybe he can post.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Why don't some of you who know Bill B. start dropping some hints as to how much we would like to see him back on PT. Maybe with a little coordinated effort we could get him back.

Kona, on The Big Island

Wal, I can understand 'snail slow' but what exactly is 'dog slow'? Here in the states, they race dogs...

Hi Andrew, one for the oldies I suppose, "Dog Slow" has been used extensively here in the past and I'd say over in the US as well. The unresponsive dog on a hot day, "Fido, go fetch", Fido = "Ah go get it yourself".

Classic.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Wal, I can understand 'snail slow' but what exactly is 'dog slow'? Here in the states, they race dogs...

Hi Andrew, one for the oldies I suppose, "Dog Slow" has been used extensively here in the past and I'd say over in the US as well. The unresponsive dog on a hot day, "Fido, go fetch", Fido = "Ah go get it yourself".

Classic.

Classic or not Wal, the name came from Bill. Just need to find out if the Habitat photo he showed is the same as the one in his garden where our seed came from.

Here was another detail about this "dwarf"

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/33347-my-garden-mid-winter/?p=532647

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Len,

Ben says in that thread this dwarf "displays a nice red spear and has quite cupped leaflets." I don't think I would use those terms to describe our Big Red. And note, it seems the blue tint is leaving my palm.

Anyway - here's some pics of mine. Ours are about the same size. Perhaps I should start "racing" you on this one. :)

post-11-0-13572400-1380844209_thumb.jpg

post-11-0-23539400-1380844211_thumb.jpg

post-11-0-52334400-1380844609_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Kona, on The Big Island

Looks good Dean. I would bet the blue is more due to low humidity, full sun verses age.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Kenny, I also have a plant from Bill Beattie that Gary and I grew from seed call the Dwarf Highland Redneck from Bill's tree. They sure look the same to me. But I want to wait until they trunk. This "Big Red" has a white trunk like a Lepto. Looking at Bill's photo from the wild and his tree at his house, it seems the trunk is black? Might just be a cultural thing. But looking at the two side by side in the ground at my house, I would say they are the same right now.

Do you have any pics of yours Kenny?

There are many posts I could "quote" here but this one will do...

Photo's taken today with a comparison to what I think is a normal D. leptocheilos ( palm in question in red pot, lepto in black)

post-6412-0-16598700-1380883363_thumb.jp post-6412-0-90429500-1380883674_thumb.jp

The red pot seems like a dwarf doesn't it??

Leaf detail, mystery palm...

post-6412-0-29313900-1380884076_thumb.jp post-6412-0-01344400-1380884327_thumb.jp

post-6412-0-13975800-1380884464_thumb.jp

As with any Dypsis confusion I am confused.....The palm I am talking about has what I would call bluish leaves ( think K. oliviformis or Chambeyronia h.) but has no heel. I have now checked 4 specimens today with no sign of a heel of any of them, I would think that to be a definite difference between two different sp.? It seems to me that our palms are similar but different?

Good work finding that last thread Len! I knew I had mentioned this palm before but didn't think I would find the thread... Thanks to Peachy for starting it!

I also thought I had seen a photo of Bills palm but not sure if it was on PT??

Dean, Bill is a friend of my fathers, He and I have certainly corresponded previously so I will email him and ask for some further info on this palm.

I will be interested in your thoughts, many of your guys know much more about the origin of these seeds than I do. It's very interesting if you can link your rare palms back to collected seeds!!

Edited by Kennybenjamin

Thanks Kenny. And I would say the one you have is exactly like the one we got from Bill that Gary and I are growing here. Maybe we got our seed to pop earlier as ours are almost twice the size. The palm is a little weird in that the heel didn't start showing until later and it isn't a full heel yet, if that makes sense. So maybe you will start seeing a heel? The blue is just like Oliviformis. Here is a bad picture of the plant we got seed from in Bills garden. Beautiful plant!

The original palm I posted I got from Mardy sure looks like it, but Bill swears they will not be the same palm. So we shall see. Happy either way as the plant in the picture looks awesome.

post-649-0-45940800-1380899578_thumb.jpg

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Dean, Bill is a friend of my fathers, He and I have certainly corresponded previously so I will email him and ask for some further info on this palm.

Ben,

Ask Bill if he will give PT another try. We really need guys like him around here. Tell him I will email him his username and a new password if he wants.

Kona, on The Big Island

Lastelliana or Leptocheilos ? which one are we talking about here ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Ben,Ask Bill if he will give PT another try. We really need guys like him around here. Tell him I will email him his username and a new password if he wants.

Sorry to inform that Bill has thanked me for my request for him to return to Palmtalk but he has politely declined the request, pity!!

He is happy to hear that are talking about this palm though and although the following quote doesn't shed much light on the palm he has given me approval to post some of his words...

Quote: "

No-one...experts and all who have seen the mature trees here say other than.. new species. This based on small inflorescence, large round fruit to 30 x 25mm, stiff leaflets and cold tolerance. Seedlings/juveniles are uniform in character. The picture accompanying the original seed illustrated a palm circa 3m in height obviously growing at high altitude in desolate conditions."

End quote.

Sounds like pretty tough palm to me, high altitude and desolate conditions.

3m sounds dwarf to me.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Ben - thanks for following up. No harm in trying. I'll bet he still looks in from time to time. How could a palm nut like Bill not do so?

So, just in case.

Hi Bill - we miss you. :)

Kona, on The Big Island

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Lastelliana or Leptocheilos ? which one are we talking about here ?

Sorry Wal. Just noticed this. As one characteristic of the palm is to have a heel when young, I put it in the lassteliana family.

The palm we have here in Australia , that Kennybenjamin was refering to earlier circulated by Bill, definately does not have a heel.

If the plants being grown in America are heeled then we are clearly looking at two seperate, yet similar species.

Here is a shot of mine and yes I am racing Len with this one.

post-370-0-79160100-1385764550_thumb.jpg

Jeffry Brusseau

"Cuesta Linda"

Vista, California