Climate of Extreme South Florida Truly Tropical?

130 posts in this topic

The bear and the lion would fight, which one would die? Welcome to Alice great wonderland. Shallow discussions.

Due to the north air currents, Miami may rarely have freezing temperatures. These little details do not mean that Miami Nin is not in a tropical latitude. There are no mountains in the north(mountains, himalayas like). I'm talking about plains and plateaus, too much space. Maybe if it were mountains, the cold winds from distant parts of the country would not have affected Miami. In Miami, coconuts are not dying. These details are insignificant, already a very small difference. Coconuts living in Maldives and coconuts living in miami have the same qualities and qualities.

no, not at all. Miami has gone down to the upper 20'sF. Not tropical by a long shot.

If there is some difference between Miami and the Mediterranean, then there is the same difference between maldives and miami, there is even a bigger difference. Make sure that the coconuts in the Maldives live for many years and ares delicious. Do not make amateurish comparisons.

7 hours ago, mthteh1916 said:

no, not at all. Miami has gone down to the upper 20'sF. Not tropical by a long shot.

Its dropped to 29f in tampico mexico which 100% tropical and further south than Havana. As recently as 2011 it dropped to 32. 

12 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Its dropped to 29f in tampico mexico which 100% tropical and further south than Havana. As recently as 2011 it dropped to 32. 

Interesting you mention tropical Tampico, not only is it further south than Miami and below the Tropic of Cancer, it’s January temperatures are actually a little cooler than Miami. Yet there is this fixation out there to try and disprove Miami’s tropicalness. 

I fail to understand all this debate, of course Miami has a tropical climate. That’s not to say that all tropical climates are created equal or that there aren’t tropical locations that are significantly warmer than Miami/south Florida. 

I consider Miami and Tampico to be in the northern edges of the tropics.  Obviously this depends on how you definitions climate zones.

All, 

Please remember these accounts and their pointless diatribe. An analog from Alice and Wonderland: Never argue with the Queen of Hearts. It is as pointless as arguing with a crazy person. “Off with their heads”.

One of the problems of the Miami area is that even the Homestead agricultural area can get cold on nights with extremely dry and cool air, thanks to radiative cooling.  The immediate coast, with warm Gulf Stream water close by, is more protected, so the Keys and Atlantic shoreline harbor some native plants that won't make it just a bit inland.  There's a reason why Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden has areas protected from cold by walls and such.  Quite a few genuinely tropical plants won't survive Miami's cold spells without protection.  

On October 5, 2013 at 4:21:46 AM, kahili said:

Hawaii is cool sometimes-I have plenty of pictures of me wearing sweatshirts in the winter etc. But bear in mind that after living in a warm place like Hawaii, it will thin your blood out and the weather feels cooler than to someone who lives in a cooler climate. But there are definitely two seasons there. I don't think that there are really seasons in the tropics, but I have never lived there so don't know for sure. It also doesn't get the higher temps of inland southeastern US in the summer-but its also overall warmer in the winter. The key part to remember is that the tropics never, never , never get frosts/freezes/snow. Thats one big factor that takes a lot of warm places out of the equation -like Miami

To further complicate things, on clear calm nights you can have frost even though the temp stays above 40*. That might rule out Havana