IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Jubaea x butia F2

ErikSJI

Jubaea x butia F2 seed.

First photo. Jubaea seed on the left. Jubaea x butia f2 on the right.

Second photo is of the Jubaea x butia F1 parent tree.

Third and forth photo offspring from the seed collected.

$1.50 each

$1.25 each for orders over 50

Fresh off the tree.

post-1930-0-87714900-1379949525_thumb.jp

post-1930-0-29335400-1379949642_thumb.jp

post-1930-0-54131900-1379949674_thumb.jp

post-1930-0-06431400-1379949694_thumb.jp

Erik, what are you offering? I know it's seed but what kind? JxB, JxJ/B, or something else? I am not following you...

Does F2 mean that jubaea x butia was back crossed with butia?

Tyler

Coastal Zone 9a

''Karma is a good girl, she just treats you exactly how you treat her"

F2 second generation. There will be a lot of variation. There are a a couple Jubaea, Butia and syagrus near this palm

Here are some more photos to give you an example.

Small 15 gallon Jubaea x butia F2 with Butia influence.

Small 5 gallon Jubaea x butia F2 with Jubaea influence.

Shot of jubaea x butia tree with smaller jubaea off to the side. Mature seed bearing jubaea about 50 yards away

Photo of the Mature Jubaea

So it appears it is being backcrossed by both Butia and Jubaea and possibly syagrus in there as well.

post-1930-0-25855500-1379975597_thumb.jp

post-1930-0-41685000-1379975784_thumb.jp

post-1930-0-56505300-1379975812_thumb.jp

post-1930-0-55725500-1379975898_thumb.jp

From what I recall, the jubaea x butia F1's typically retain their leafbases, unlike pure jubaea. that is a beautiful F1 a great parent tree!!! Eric where is the F1 growing?

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

I received my JxB F2 seed order today. For anyone who cares these seed were very clean. There was no pulp whatsoever and the seeds had been dryed. They are ready to be planted. They are obviously the JxB represented ( with the possibility of another hybrid sneaking in). Out of 110 seed 4 were of very large Butia seed size. Two or three others were larger than the 4 but not as large as the main number of seed. I will keep all these separate hoping for different hybrids. All the other seed were fairly uniform in size and much larger than Butia seed but smaller than Jubaea. In other words these seed seem to be the real deal. Thanks very much, Eric!

Edited by Jeff zone 8 N.C.

• 1 month later...

As can be seen from my prior post I got these seed on Oct. 2nd. After soaking them, in distilled water, for a couple of days, then drying them for a day or two then re-soaking for another couple of days, in distilled water with just a tiny bit of chelated palm nutritional supplement and plant hormones, I planted most of them in a community pot with others in a plastic tub. The community pot was wrapped in a clear garbage bag and sealed tightly. These were then put in my hot water heater room that stays around 74F; I thought it would probably take all winter or into next summer to get any sprouting so I have not checked them until today. I did have one sprout about an inch tall with a root about 3.5 inches long. While digging the sprout out to transplant I found another sprout not as far along so I left it. I did not dig around to see if there were others. The two sprouts must have popped in around a month after planting judging by their size. Also the community pot was set on top of the hot water pipe coming out of the hot water heater so some of the soil in this pot could have been warmer than 74F. The sprout was very robust looking and healthy. I'm a happy camper!

Hi Ryusensei,

I don't think Erik will send seeds to Europe but I am thinking of getting some sent to my brother in Philadelphia and then getting them sent over to me in the UK. Let me know if you're interested in getting some this way.

Best,

Josh

Glad to hear they are doing well for you Jeff. Sorry Josh, and Ryusensei, We are not shipping small orders overseas.

Eric I'm really interested in a JxS cross if you can ever get the pollen

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Dave I have been requesting pollen for awhile. No one seems to know how to process it correctly or is unwilling to send it.

Dave I have been requesting pollen for awhile. No one seems to know how to process it correctly or is unwilling to send it.

Apparently the palm with the Jubaea as the mother is the best one, so you should have plenty of Syagrus pollen to work with if you have a Jubaea to pollinate.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Ah yes...true....I think Eric wants the Jub pollen for his Butia's.

Eric....an economic incentive might work :winkie:

BTW......do you have any (BxS) x S? .....any pics if you do?

Apparently the palm with the Jubaea as the mother is the best one, so you should have plenty of Syagrus pollen to work with if you have a Jubaea to pollinate.

Yeah,

from what I remember SxJ is said to look a lot like S, not nearly as nice as JxS... IMO, I also like BxJ F1 better than JxB F1, something about the silvery twisting weeping fronds. I do have some (BxJ)xJ as well as yatay xJ F1 plants from Patrick shafer. It will be interesting to see the jubaea blood and its influence with the two crosses. The prohibitive cost of the JxS and the uncertain form(they all don't look like Gary Levines fantastic palm) made me hesitate to buy that one. The mother plant tends to dominate the genetics, its not a 50/50 thing...

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

BTW......do you have any (BxS) x S? .....any pics if you do?

I have offered economic incentives and still do if anyone is interested for Jubaea pollen. I would try butia as well as well as syagrus. Mark did a butyagrus x syagrus awhile back. Mine died.

• 2 weeks later...

Erik,

I am just curious if you have ever tried growing the JxB plants outdoors in the San Juans. I live in the Seattle area and have a mature pindo palm that seems to be doing quite well and has made it through 16 degree winters here. I hear that the JxB plants may be even hardier than regular Pindos. Do you have any mature enough to withstand a NW Winter? I may be interested in purchasing some seeds as well if there was a pretty good chance of a) them surviving this climate when mature and B) being able to raise them to the point of maturity/cold hardiness.

I do not have any on San Juan Island. There are 15 gallon sizes of these available in California. I only have Butia, Butyagrus, Trachycarpus on San Juan Island. I believe Bananas Joe has a few Jubaea x butia growing on Salt Spring Island just north of us. Not sure if he put them in the ground. And Palm Crazy in Olympia has one in the ground. They may be a winner for the pacific northwest.

Thanks for the seeds Erik! I can't believe how fast those came. Thanks for the extras and schizzy seeds too.

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

I do not know how to hybridize, but only dream of the cold hardy coconut ringer hybrid. Thought syagrus x parajubaea sunkha would be it.... paid $260 for 4 to Tim Hopper.... got stiffed. Dreaming...... how about Jubaea x Lytocaryum?

If I had the pollen I would give it a try. I have been asking for years. The Butia X Cocos has been in the ground for 6 years now with no armament showing.

If I had the pollen I would give it a try. I have been asking for years. The Butia X Cocos has been in the ground for 6 years now with no armament showing.

Any update pics comin?

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Also wonder why no one has made mules with syagrus amara or pseudo cocos or any of the other syagrus that more closely resemble cocos

Mark had done some with Syagrus Coronata and had very poor germination. I did some last year with Syagrus schizophylla cracked some seeds and they looked good. Hopefully they will start germinating in the spring. I did not come across any Amara until late in the year and will give it a go in a few months.

• Upvote 1

I will let you know when they are available. I have 10 trees to work with so I should get some good output.

• Upvote 1

• 7 months later...

Totally forgot I put 5 of these seeds in a baggy and stuffed them in a drawer. Found them last night all 5 germinated! Now if I can only remember what I did with the other 5.

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

• 4 months later...