IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Acrocomia totai in Savannah, GA

JLeVert

• Acrocomia totai in Savannah, GA

Posted by Tom St Marys GAinvisible.gifuser_silhouette.png on 9/1/2013, 12:00 am

There are just a handful of specimens of Acrocomia totai outside of Florida. The only other one I'm personally aware of is in a private garden in Charleston, SC.

We planted this one in 2000 at the Bamboo Farm in Savannah. We were assured that the parentage of this palm was from a naturalizing population in Dade City, FL, a small town about 25 miles north of Tampa in a somewhat cold area for peninsular Florida.

This particular specimen has been through a lot, losing its spear on at least two occasions and given up for dead (by me, anyway) once. In fact, after one particularly cold winter I recommended to the head groundskeeper that it be removed. Luckily, she didn't do it, and by the next July it had regrown nearly a full crown of leaves.

Here is our Acrcomia as of last week. The palm has flowered and fruited in past years, but I don't know for sure if the seeds were viable.

251_zps9ca208ff.jpg

And here it is in September of 2000. My, how things change!

acrocomia.jpg

• Like 1

Joseph C. Le Vert

Augusta, GA

USA

Zone 8

That is a beauty!

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

That's a real testament to its hardiness. Its a beautiful palm . What's the lowest temp it has endured?

13F. That's when it defoliated. The Bamboo Farm in Savannah is just a mile from the Ogeechee River and is in a cold pocket.

Joseph C. Le Vert

Augusta, GA

USA

Zone 8

Now that thing being around scares me way more than any poisonous plant that might be in my garden. But I want one anyway.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Me too, it's beautiful.

Shirleypt.png

There are several mature Wodyetia bifurcata in my neighborhood--that helps determine my zone, right? :blink:

It would be nice if these were more available, even seeds. Sounds like its much more cold tolerant than a queen palm!

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

Impressive. I'm familiar with one in Ft. Pierce. Another on US 1 north of town (not cared for) is dying.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Excellent palm, this species ought to see much wider distribution, and I wish we could see some hardy cultivars named and distributed, A. totai is lumped in with A. aculeata and its a shame because not all aculeata are hardy. Rod Anderson has a wonderful specimen in Phoenix, actually he has one huge one and a handful of others as well.

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

• 1 year later...

Shes a beaut! still one of my favorite palms.

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

they grow quite fast. and are pretty darn cold hardy! Anyone growing acrocomia aculeata?? This palm takes temps down to 22 F at my friends garden in Valley center Ca.

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

they grow quite fast. and are pretty darn cold hardy! Anyone growing acrocomia aculeata?? This palm takes temps down to 22 F at my friends garden in Valley center Ca.

i dont know how to tell which one is which. i got one of them....

• Upvote 1

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

I'm growing a Dade City acrocomia Totai in Austin, Tx. It was defoliated last winter from temps in the high teens- it made a rapid recovery and grew a full crown by Aug this year. I wish these were easier to find as seedlings- they hate being in a pot. Once the taproot reaches the bottom of a pot, they begin to decline. This form of totai is substantially more cold hardy than the silver queens I had growing. The queens were killed and were much larger in size

• 11 months later...

I plan on visiting Savannah for the weekend with my significant other and will surely drag her to see this palm lol Joe, assuming it's still alive and well, are there viable seeds and is there any chance we can collect any underneath it? Hopefully the grounds crew doesn't clean up around the base of the tree.

As for when its seeds become ripe, I came across this:

Phenology: A. totai blooms from the beginning of spring until mid-summer and its fruits mature by the end of winter, although they remain attached to the tree for some time after. Pollinators and dispersers: Besides the wind’s action, the main pollinators are Curculionidae, Nitidulidae, Escarabaeidae and bees, mostly honey bees. (Jose A. Grassia)

On a side note, I certainly do NOT plan on climbing this tree to grab any still attached seeds lol

Mr. Le Vert, I hope you don't mind me adding some pictures, but this is the thread that motivated me to see this unique palm in person!

So I wound up making it out to the Savannah Bamboo Farm and hastily snapped some pictures. This was on the tail-end of our short excursion and daylight was waning, but still managed to take some decent shots. Including of course, the Acrocomia Totai:

089.JPG

090.JPG

Edited by smithgn

A close-up of the crown and an even closer look at the spines, predominantly at the top of the trunk as they fall off at about the midway point and lower on the palm.

092.JPG

091.JPG

And last but not least, my "artsy" photo. Thanks again to Joe Le Vert for making this thread which inevitably led me to see this neat palm for myself!

093.JPG

102.JPG

Looks like it is making a very strong recovery from the last couple chilly winters which undoubtedly defoliated the palm completely.  If this winter is mild, it should look fantastic by this time next year.  Awesome palm!

Sooner or later I will get one of these.  I intend to cordon it off with crime scene tape and draw a chalk line of a body next to its base.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

So far it has been mild, Mid-December looks pretty good for us and even better for y'all in Orlando.

Keith- Lol That's actually a funny idea

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Bump...you ever find any "Dade City" variety?

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Whoa!

The Armageddon PalmTM looks loaded for bear!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I finally got my hands on five 5g plants and a few hundred seeds. The 5g plants were potted up to 15g and will be planted out next spring.