IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Joeys, the palms not the furry kind that hop

Cindy Adair

No, these are not mine!

I wish!

DSCN9963.thumb.JPG.52af9af63a9eefc1ba203

DSCN9965.thumb.JPG.29bb58e2207762e5b54d2

DSCN9966.thumb.jpg.95ab380051381bd55dbdf

Not at a botanical garden, but just a highrise apartment complex's landscaping in Singapore 2016 when I flew in for the IPS Biennial. Rents way out of my league, but very nice to be able to stay at a friend of a friend's place to recover from the very long flights and time zone changes. No expectations seeing silver joeys too.

I'd go back and repeat the entire trip including pre and post anytime!

• Upvote 2

Cindy Adair

Here's my Johannesteijsmannia magnifica that I grew from a seed which was directly shipped from Malaysia somewhere in 2014.

"Joey" is shorter but as a Dutchman I have little trouble spelling this one:P. I have no choice but to grow it as a potted plant indoors here in Amsterdam. Along the way I had learn the do's and don'ts for this palm. I found that repotting is something to be avoided as much as possible because even the slightest root damage will most likely result in huge growth setback and possibly uggly "bonsai" like new growth. Afterwarths recovery is slow because overall growth is slow. The root system has to be kept moist but not cloggy and dripping wet. Thus well draining soil combined with frequent watering is best. Now, after 3 years growing I think I found the right carelevel for it to no longer have brown leaf edges. But I have to keep a close eye on it!

20170901_150235.jpg

• Upvote 3

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

15 hours ago, Cindy Adair said:

No, these are not mine!

I wish!

DSCN9963.thumb.JPG.52af9af63a9eefc1ba203

DSCN9965.thumb.JPG.29bb58e2207762e5b54d2

DSCN9966.thumb.jpg.95ab380051381bd55dbdf

Not at a botanical garden, but just a highrise apartment complex's landscaping in Singapore 2016 when I flew in for the IPS Biennial. Rents way out of my league, but very nice to be able to stay at a friend of a friend's place to recover from the very long flights and time zone changes. No expectations seeing silver joeys too.

I'd go back and repeat the entire trip including pre and post anytime!

Ah to simply see and touch one of that size in-person...

1 hour ago, Kai said:

Here's my Johannesteijsmannia magnifica that I grew from a seed which was directly shipped from Malaysia somewhere in 2014.

"Joey" is shorter but as a Dutchman I have little trouble spelling this one:P. I have no choice but to grow it as a potted plant indoors here in Amsterdam. Along the way I had learn the do's and don'ts for this palm. I found that repotting is something to be avoided as much as possible because even the slightest root damage will most likely result in huge growth setback and possibly uggly "bonsai" like new growth. Afterwarths recovery is slow because overall growth is slow. The root system has to be kept moist but not cloggy and dripping wet. Thus well draining soil combined with frequent watering is best. Now, after 3 years growing I think I found the right carelevel for it to no longer have brown leaf edges. But I have to keep a close eye on it!

20170901_150235.jpg

Well done! Care to share your "care level" details?

• Upvote 1

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

6 hours ago, Missi said:

Well done! Care to share your "care level" details?

Of course! As I already said the combination of well draining soil and frequent waterings so the rootsystem doesn't get any dry area's is very important. Temperature, humidity and light requirements don't seem to be very different from my kind of average inhouse climate as long as the roots are healthy. I don't do anything to boost humidity temperature and light. In my opinion this plant is very tough and can withstand values much different from its habitat as long as it has a healthy rootsystem.

So...

I water it about 3 times a week untill the water leaks from under the pot.

I use extremely diluted liquid palmfertilizer with every watering. I stop using fert during the darkest and shortest winterdays of the year which comes down to October untill March but I keep watering.

I use only collected rainwater (no idea if it's better than our tapwater, but it's more like nature)

Temperature is steady between 19C to 25C. Depends on how much sun comes through the windows.

The palm is located in front of a row of south facing windows and gets a few hours of direct sunlight (through glass) and more hours of indirect light through the windows.

I'm not sure about humidity but it's not very high. No fungus or mushrooms in my house:blink:.

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2013‎ ‎4‎:‎27‎:‎25‎, Cindy Adair said:

That Diamond Joey is lovely with every leaf perfect!

Licuala grandis is a nice palm too, but can't beat the look of the Johannesteijsmannia leaves. Thanks for providing eye candy.

I was told the Joeys wouldn't make it in CA, I love big leafed plants and wanted to TRy!  I am in SD and couldn't believe that they would have a chance here? I still might do it! LOL.

I especially enjoy the international responses, hearing from folks sharing their love of this genus. 

It is wonderful to see how many of you are successful growing these inside too.

Hope I can meet some of you at the Biennial in Colombia!

Cindy Adair

Inside, outside, these are worth the try. 

Here are a few photos of a garden tour back in 2015 just north of Hilo. These Joey's were growing in full sun and impressive to say the least. 

Tim

P1000705.jpg

P1000697.jpg

• Upvote 3

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

• 4 years later...

Joey palms are my favourites too! I’m lucky they don’t need special cares in Singapore. Here is one of my Joey magnifica. They always look great under morning sun.

122DDEA5-3257-4C53-A3EA-CBE9D47BBD24.thumb.jpeg.c60ed267c23c06647377c33ff725d6ea.jpeg

Looking down from my bedroom. 

028C6A4E-084B-4709-B971-5F0AA00BB460.thumb.jpeg.c4d57ba14f71b9a65542dbc2be9e60ec.jpeg

The place where I work has a much bigger Joey.

A98F35A3-A09D-4468-A987-68D2C8388A88.thumb.jpeg.deaa16115f27c1bcc4224dbbe658f1af.jpeg

And many altifrons.

3FFE2F1A-F488-402C-8C49-A5EDFF50052C.thumb.jpeg.7af7423f311d56a724d5321cd6fa5ef7.jpeg

This one looks different, is it a slender Joey?

113F1161-7919-427A-AA5F-CCCD9C75AC8B.thumb.jpeg.dbd8278c8fd0b40fb6f2f2ba1d5afc5f.jpeg

Edited by Okkidoggi
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I am so happy to see these added photos of gorgeous Joeys! Thanks so much!

Cindy Adair

On 6/24/2022 at 7:08 AM, Okkidoggi said:

This one looks different, is it a slender Joey?

113F1161-7919-427A-AA5F-CCCD9C75AC8B.thumb.jpeg.dbd8278c8fd0b40fb6f2f2ba1d5afc5f.jpeg

Probably Johannesteijsmannia lanceolata

gmp 

On 6/24/2022 at 7:08 AM, Okkidoggi said:

On 9/1/2017 at 10:26 PM, Kai said:

As I already said the combination of well draining soil and frequent waterings so the rootsystem doesn't get any dry area's is very important.

Could you share your medium recipe? Looks like you have coir fibre in there, and maybe pumice?
I initially tried J. magnifica in @Pal Meir -type seramis/pine bark mix, but those that germinated apparently succumbed to rot. J. altifrons and J. perikensis seem to be doing fine in exactly the same mix under exactly the same conditions and watering régime (and literally at the same time, so it would be hard to make this a more rigorously scientific comparison). I can only conclude that J. magnifica needs something slightly different. I have 5 fresh seeds now (one floats, so probably 4). I'm not going do the same thing and expect a different result, so any advice would be most appreciated.

Edit: sorry; replying to something posted years ago, but you seem to be still active, so hope this is all right.

Edited by PalmsandLiszt