IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

majesty surprise

PANGEA EXPRESS

I was pretty surprised to see these majesty palms growing in Healdsburg (northern california) and doing so well. The lows in the winter gets around 18 and they do not have any protection.

These palms are alot hardier than what people give them credit for.

IMG_3993_zps7d4d14fc.jpg

2 more

IMG_3991_zpsbe49f3c7.jpg

- Eric Arneson

lan-backyard-design-copy1.jpg

Good to 18 if dry. Here where winters are wet, 22 and they are toast.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Nice find, but I doubt they get that cold every winter or do they?

Even Wetter here and 25F-26F would kill it here I’m sure, not the first time but the many more that follow the rest of winter.

Edited by Palm crazy

The heavy rain and cold temps go together. It usually rains and then is followed by a clear day with temps in the low 20s resulting in some nasty ground freezing. This last winter was relatively mild with a low of 22. But its usually a bit cooler.

They do have a pretty good microclimate at the top of a hill with a slight south facing exposure, and a bit of canopy from some oaks.

The property also has a few fully exposed dypsis lutescens clumps that are alive but look terrible.

- Eric Arneson

Those are growing in Healdsburg? Where?

Pangea is correct, Healdsburg is cold and wet in the winter, with temps down in the low 20's for a few nights every year.

I live 20 minutes south, and they are always a few degrees colder in winter and warmer in summer than where I am.

The past 2 winters have been unusually dry here however, with rainfall about half of what we normally receive.

These palms look like they have been where they are for longer than a couple of years though, so the rain must be running off the hillside before it soaks into the ground much.

Very cool Pangea, thanks for posting

Those are growing in Healdsburg? Where?

Pangea is correct, Healdsburg is cold and wet in the winter, with temps down in the low 20's for a few nights every year.

I live 20 minutes south, and they are always a few degrees colder in winter and warmer in summer than where I am.

The past 2 winters have been unusually dry here however, with rainfall about half of what we normally receive.

These palms look like they have been where they are for longer than a couple of years though, so the rain must be running off the hillside before it soaks into the ground much.

Very cool Pangea, thanks for posting

They are growing in dry creek valley, I am pretty sure they have been there for about 8 years or so.

- Eric Arneson

There are still zone 16 spots even in Northern California. Judging from the pictures, there is no way it got down to 22F last Winter or else those birds of paradise would have been toast. They would not come back from 22F that fast to look that big and healthy. I bet those things got exposed to maybe 28F last Winter at the worst and for a short duration. All it takes is a location with enough wind exposure to keep temps from dropping. Most of the towns North of the Golden Gate are in valleys where cold air drains, but the hills are still mild.

There is a very tall majesty palm in Edith's garden, she got down to about 25F last Winter and hers looked pretty fried.

There are still zone 16 spots even in Northern California. Judging from the pictures, there is no way it got down to 22F last Winter or else those birds of paradise would have been toast. They would not come back from 22F that fast to look that big and healthy. I bet those things got exposed to maybe 28F last Winter at the worst and for a short duration. All it takes is a location with enough wind exposure to keep temps from dropping. Most of the towns North of the Golden Gate are in valleys where cold air drains, but the hills are still mild.

There is a very tall majesty palm in Edith's garden, she got down to about 25F last Winter and hers looked pretty fried.

the property is located in a bit of a micorclimate but it definitely saw alot less than 28. i was there for a xmas party in the winter and remember the majesties being completely defoliated and the birds totally fired.

i give credit to the great dry creek soil that also produces great wines lol

- Eric Arneson