IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Butia capitata different views

Palm crazy

It is interesting to me how different a palm can look from different angles.

Here my B. capitata one year in the ground now.

1_zpsfef59579.jpg

2_zpsedc2960b.jpg

3_zps99742e41.jpg

4_zps139b3a45.jpg

The last one almost looks like Butia x Jubaea but it still the same B. capitata.

Edited by Palm crazy

It's very green... and also the leaf bases. Are you sure it's no ButiaxJubaea or some other Butia?

It's very green... and also the leaf bases. Are you sure it's no ButiaxJubaea or some other Butia?

One of the reason I picked this little fella was he was totally different from the others I’ve seen with the usual grey silver look with the reddish leaf base.

Hoping it turns out to be ‘relax leaf’ but so far not seeing it. I don’t think its a BxJ, just an unusual green variety butia. Time will tell…Green ones are more rare on the west coast and even more rare in PNW… B)

Edited by Palm crazy

thanks for sharing the photo has picqued my curiosity what is the little cycad plant behind it?

Best regards

Ed

Taitungensis X Guizhouensis Hybrid (by Chumley) is the cycad. Easy to grow and very cold hardy. Real winner for zone 8/9. Those leaves are 40”inches long.

This butia is also growing in afternoon shade and with a mild protected stop won’t take long before is out grows it’s space. LOL!

Thanks Will, will keep y’all posted on it progress.

Ed here a pic for you. Starts flushing at much cooler temps than most cycads.

DSC0017_zpsa2c68841.jpg

mine is also green at the base and the leaves are very green aswell (its not as green on the picture though)

post-5120-0-70430700-1376697227_thumb.jp

USDA Hardiness Zones 9b to 10a

AHS Heat Zones 8

altitude 100 meters (320 Feet)

4 km (2,4 Miles) from the Mediterranean

16716.gif

lowest ever recorded temperature -4 C (24 F)

maximum ever recored temperature 45 C (113 F)

mean minimum temperature January 7 C (44 F)

mean maximum temperature January 14 C (57 F)

mean minimum temperature July 23 C (74 F)

mean maximum temperature July 33 C (92 F)

average annual rainfall 330mm (13 Inch)

average annual sunshine 2800 hours

Thanks Will, will keep y’all posted on it progress.

Ed here a pic for you. Starts flushing at much cooler temps than most cycads.

DSC0017_zpsa2c68841.jpg

Good show --- I pollinated some C. revoluta x taitugenisis with C. guihoenziz and C. diananensis pollen and have simular plants many are volunteers. --- I am hoping to have a nice forest of them in the comming years souped up with hybrid vigour as you are learning . mbnb

Best regards on your garden

Ed