IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Large Palms Transplanted.....the Beach Party Continues

Alicehunter2000

Thought the original thread was getting a little long in the tooth. Here is the L. saribus 3 months after transplanting. More photos to come.

Here is a link to the original thread.

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/34415-alicehunter2000s-beach-party-by-ken-johnson/

post-97-0-91800400-1372545479_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

For me David this is a much anticipate thread. I really enjoyed all of your planning and the planting of the big guys and have been curious how your house turned out, how the existing palms have made it thru watering and the patch of windy weather I seem to remember your area getting a few months ago.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

Thanks WCG, I was nervous about the windy weather as well. One important thing that I was hoping for is that the wind off the Gulf is mostly blocked by the house. The trees that I was most nervous about were the Washies. They still seem to catch some wind because they are so tall. Ken had braced them originally and so far they have been solid, haven't noticed any soil movement during our wind events. Here are some more pics.

This is ponytail that was not seen in the original post. They are uncommon here in the ground, especially this size....she's a beaut!

post-97-0-34201900-1372620178_thumb.jpg

Here is a picture of the big Sabal.........now I am wondering if it is causiarum or dominguensis based on Kostas thread. It has a bluish tint and papery ligules at the base of the fronds.

post-97-0-12937100-1372622926_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Livistonia nitida ...... a very solid tree. Has a Washingtonia feel to it but a much more attractive trunk. It will be interesting to see how this one does in the winter.

post-97-0-93354800-1372641277_thumb.jpg

Copernecia alba......hard to see, but had to cut off fronds around the growing point shortly after transplanting. They dried up and died completely. Since then it has pushed out about 4 nice new healthy spears. Two have opened up recently and this palm has started settling in nicely. One of the few palms that I can get a clear picture of the crown...lol.

post-97-0-88561700-1372641645_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

This mule has some kick ass roots growing.....I put it on angle to get some curve in a few years. I will clean the boots up after it has a good summer of growth on it. In fact the growing point already looks like it is starting curve up.

post-97-0-63934100-1372644028_thumb.jpg

Talk about roots....Ken had me pile up the sand around the base for support in strong winds. I have now noticed that the aerial roots have been growing crazy fast. I know when the soil is pulled down, there will be a ton of roots high up on the trunk. Not necessarily bad, but I will have to be careful not to pull the sand away too quickly, thus allowing the roots to establish further down.

One thing that kinda drives me nuts about this tree is the fact that I didn't plant it strait. Look at the board I'm holding...that is strait....see the lean to the right....drives me nuts. The only thing at this point that I could do would be to dig down under the root ball on the left side and undermine the soil. My wife thinks that is a really, really bad idea...seeing as how the palm is extremely happy now.

post-97-0-68364700-1372644620_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Ok....here is the only disappointment.....this is the other C. alba that was added at the last minute because the truck could not carry another large Washie. I think it is done for......what do others think?

post-97-0-22701000-1372644959_thumb.jpg

Spear pulled about 3 weeks after transplant.

post-97-0-75646900-1372645043_thumb.jpg

dear david,

beautiful house, terrific palms I simply love it.thumbs up to you & ken for planning it so well.

sorry for being late to this party.

wish you all the best and keep us updated.

thanks and love,

kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Ok....here is the only disappointment.....this is the other C. alba that was added at the last minute because the truck could not carry another large Washie. I think it is done for......what do others think?

attachicon.gifphoto (31).JPG

attachicon.gifphoto (22).JPG

Dave, this is just me, but if it were in my yard I would wait until the whole thing was down and brown before I gave up. Unless you're really itching to pull it and plant something else that you have waiting on deck, I'd just let it keep trying until it was all the way gone.

But again, that's just me. Other tropicals and even some small palms I have transplanted to larger pots can stall out for a year or more but their roots are growing like mad. As soon as it has to put up new growth it will. . . or maybe it will just die.

anyway, my $0.02.

-Erik

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

Talk about roots....Ken had me pile up the sand around the base for support in strong winds. I have now noticed that the aerial roots have been growing crazy fast. I know when the soil is pulled down, there will be a ton of roots high up on the trunk. Not necessarily bad, but I will have to be careful not to pull the sand away too quickly, thus allowing the roots to establish further down.

One thing that kinda drives me nuts about this tree is the fact that I didn't plant it strait. Look at the board I'm holding...that is strait....see the lean to the right....drives me nuts. The only thing at this point that I could do would be to dig down under the root ball on the left side and undermine the soil. My wife thinks that is a really, really bad idea...seeing as how the palm is extremely happy now.

attachicon.gifphoto (30).JPG

I agree with your wife on this one, leave it alone. You dig and it may tilt even more. That palm is a heavy beast, only a crane could move it in a controlled way. And tell that guy with the board to drop it and it will look plenty straight, LOL! Looking great David, and from everything I have read, Causiarum has the ligules, don't worry. Edited by sonoranfans

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

attachicon.gifphoto (31).JPG

attachicon.gifphoto (22).JPG

Keep watering it. H2O2 as well. I have a beautiful A. engleri what looked far worse and today is gawdgeous.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

HOLY CRAP!!! talk about instant awesome palmyness! those all look amazing. Ken needs to just drive around florida like a ice cream man of the palm world!

Ken you are the Master Mover of Massive Monocots! nice job.

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Kris, I still have at least 1 of your Borasus to put into the ground. It is very healthy but is still only strap leaf in a pot after what? 3 years? Probably has an insane amount of roots.

Thanks Alex.

Eric, Ken and Keith.....do you think I should take a chainsaw and cut it down until I see no more rot in the center? Sometimes palms have a problem pushing out a deformed spear and cutting it down to that level allows it to come out. Had a queen like this one time. Also, the cavity holds rainwater and it keeps rotting away the center and I keep pulling out the fronds surrounding the central spear area. It doesn't really stink too bad like its really rotting...but it does have an odor when I yank out more of the center. As you can see, it does have some life in the remaining fronds.

Tom, I am hoping that having more plants around and the pool screen between sight lines will mask the lean....so maybe your right.

Steve, yes Ken provided excellent consulting and brokering services. And if you are fortunate enough to live in a warmer zone than me, he has lots interesting plant material as well. The cool looking ponytail was one that he threw into the deal. I will show more of his palms in future posts.

Looking awesome David :drool:

The spear pull on the C. alba doesnt mean its dead and it could recover if given time. It usually takes quite some time for recovery to show after a spear pull and rot could set in with rainwater pooling in there but it could also be just fine. It does have extra chances to die after a spear pull as the soft tissues of the next leaf in turn are more vulnerable to rot and other damage. What you say regarding cutting it down some till there is clean tissue,could help it but it will also take off the remaining green leafs it has. It will do speed up the outcome though,wether good or bad.

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

attachicon.gifphoto (30).JPG

I would certainly leave it alone as well. Once you have a happy palm, there isn't any reason to fix it. Try planting some shorter shrubs/flowers around the base. So that it doesn't draw your eye to the fact that its a bit off. Beautiful palms, great job!

• 2 months later...

Geez......looks to be going right over my house at the moment. :unsure:post-97-0-60206700-1380823791_thumb.gif

Geez......looks to be going right over my house at the moment. :unsure:attachicon.gifat201312_ensmodel.gif

Okay, do you feel safe with these as they are now? Or do you keep some extra support boards handy to truss them up before the storm?

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

David,

I wish Karen will visit other places, and your palms will be safe (and you too)

BTW: did you plant palms in front of your house?

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Very nice David...keep us posted!

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

I hope your palms do well!

On a side note, I just realized that the majority of the more cold tolerant palms tend to not be self cleaning. I wonder why this is?

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Dave,

The L. nitida will handle the cold as well as any of the other palms you have, I'd say the L. saribus is the least cold hardy of the palms you posted.

Plants look great.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

I certainly hope Karen misses you (and Virginia)!

How did I miss these updated photos the first time around? They look great!!!

Obviously I need to spend more time on Palmtalk?!

Cindy Adair

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. I think that Karen will be a non-event now. We may get a little bit of wind, but don't expect much more than 40 knots. Most of the rain is to the east side so Tallahasse may get more of the wet stuff. The only palms that I worry about are the tall Washies that stick well above the roof line. They are still braced. Everything else is protected from SE, S and SW winds by the house. The Bizmarkia in front might get the brunt of the wind action. The palm is looking fabulous at the moment, getting more silver and loving the sand. Hope the wind doesn't fray the fronds too much. The front mule palm has struggled a bit and is holding alot of dried out looking fronds. Will try and get updated pictures this weekend. Everything else is rocking and rolling.

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. I think that Karen will be a non-event now. We may get a little bit of wind, but don't expect much more than 40 knots. Most of the rain is to the east side so Tallahasse may get more of the wet stuff. The only palms that I worry about are the tall Washies that stick well above the roof line. They are still braced. Everything else is protected from SE, S and SW winds by the house. The Bizmarkia in front might get the brunt of the wind action. The palm is looking fabulous at the moment, getting more silver and loving the sand. Hope the wind doesn't fray the fronds too much. The front mule palm has struggled a bit and is holding alot of dried out looking fronds. Will try and get updated pictures this weekend. Everything else is rocking and rolling.

Wonderful news.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Panoramic view of the back porch. Still need to add tile to the back porch. Everything is still a bit untidy and got alot of Chamadorea's in black pots still. C. macrocarpa to the right, D. cabadae on the left. It had just gotten finished raining, so the screen has water on it.

post-97-0-32723700-1380909360_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Panoramic view of the back porch. Still need to add tile to the back porch. Everything is still a bit untidy and got alot of Chamadorea's in black pots still. C. macrocarpa to the right, D. cabadae on the left. It had just gotten finished raining, so the screen has water on it.

attachicon.gifsecuredownload.jpg

WOW, and I don't use that word very often. It came out fantastic.

• 2 weeks later...

IT'S ALIVE!......not only that, but the little C. alba is starting to thrive. As you can see, I cut all the way down on the trunk and things were starting to smell funky. Poured some peroxide in the hole and started to see some growth. After a couple of more summers it will probably start looking normal. So far now....100% survival of all large transplanted palms. Just hope this winter is kind.

post-97-0-83254100-1381800915_thumb.jpg

IT'S ALIVE!......not only that, but the little C. alba is starting to thrive. As you can see, I cut all the way down on the trunk and things were starting to smell funky. Poured some peroxide in the hole and started to see some growth. After a couple of more summers it will probably start looking normal. So far now....100% survival of all large transplanted palms. Just hope this winter is kind.

That's an interesting green trunked queen palm. I wonder what causes that...

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

WHOA ! :yay: i must have missed this thread originally ! Oh to have the opportunity to put in huge palms like that ! The Livistonia nitida amazing to get one so big they are a really nice form ! looks like very sandy soil keep up the Nutricote .

Troy

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Zeeth, I think it is just a young palm. It barely survived the transplant from my old house....and being potted in the shade for a year.

Troy, check out the original thread that I linked to at the top of this thread. It shows everything from scratch.

P&B .......Drastic surgical amputation!

Here is a dainty mule palm from Mark Heath. It has been undergoing transplant shock and poor sandy soil. I finally put some good soil around it and will trim the boots and dried out fronds later this year or early spring. It should be fine and will have a nice curve as it grows out of its funk.....going for a coconut look with this one.

post-97-0-46511300-1381843525_thumb.jpg

This Bizmarkia is loving life! ...........it has lost narry' a' leaf'.........getting more silver all the time and growing like gangbusters....it will be a beast!

post-97-0-17730100-1381843653_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

WHAT DID YOU DO TO MY POOR PALM? I think it would have been far happier with me. :winkie:

Nice update and glad your palms are pulling through... maybe it's just me, but it looks like your Bizmarkia is too close to the house.