IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm ID needed

Walter John

Found this growing at a shopping centre in Mooloolaba. There were 3 of them, this one was the only good one, the others were drought stricken so this baby got the sprinkler  nozzle in the right direction. Looks Dictyosperma sp. to me , what do you think ?

Sunshinecoastdicty.jpg

Sunshinecoastdictyclose.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

It has the off-white crownshaft typical of D. album.

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

What a beautiful palm!  I've never seen any of size here in Southern California.  I've heard that it hates our dry air.  That's a shame.  Anyone with a good canopy try this one in CA?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Wal , goodonyermate , been meaning to snap a pic of a palm I could not ID growing in the carpark of one of the pubs in town , I reckon its the same . The infloresence is identical , so much more different from an Alex [what I thunk it was]

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

(aussiearoids @ Feb. 06 2007,07:23)

Wal , goodonyermate , been meaning to snap a pic of a palm I could not ID growing in the carpark of one of the pubs in town , I reckon its the same . The infloresence is identical , so much more different from an Alex [what I thunk it was]

Cheers Mike, bit damp up there I see ?

My clue to this palm being D.album was the vertical cracks on the trunk and the feel of the crownshaft. I have a nice growing D.album var rubrum at home and the similarities are there.

I would love to know what variation it is though.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Wal , I am going cabin crazy , almost non stop rain for the last week , and now a leak in the roof . Think I will really start to get mouldy . Just checked out pacsoa on the Dictyosperma album varieties ... very strange ..

thought I recognized the pic of album var. furcatum. Its the palm on the front page , anyway while on the front page , had a quick look at whats new , then tried the publications link , great all sorts of special journal editions with links to details , so clicked on the first one , ,,, and what palm was pictured there , but the same one ,, D.album var. furcatum.  Just a coincidence , you might think , but its a sign  :o  must plant this palm  :P

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Matty B here is a photo of the one at the SD Zoo 2 weeks post freeze.  Looked perfect!  The second photo was un-named, i think its a vetchia.  I was surprised at how good everything looked.  Surprisingly Dypsis Pembana looked the worst of all the palms I saw.  I think it was a new planting.

Sorry for the poor quality, my camera broke so these were taken with a throw away.

00250022.jpg

00250013.jpg

Encinitas on a hill 1.5 miles from the ocean.

Wal, that's one for "hurricanes".

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Wal, I went to Mooloolaba in late January on a school cricket tour and I did notice many of the Dictyosperma looked very dry.  I think I saw the one in your photo.  Is it dry on the Sunshine Coast at the moment?

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

(tim_brissy_13 @ Feb. 06 2007,17:04)

Wal, I went to Mooloolaba in late January on a school cricket tour and I did notice many of the Dictyosperma looked very dry.  I think I saw the one in your photo.  Is it dry on the Sunshine Coast at the moment?

Hi Tim

They have had some good rains recently. That actual shopping area has a sprinkler system with the nozzles going everywhere but to the plants except for a few including the above mentioned princess/hurricane palm.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

(aussiearoids @ Feb. 05 2007,17:48)

Wal , I am going cabin crazy , almost non stop rain for the last week , and now a leak in the roof . Think I will really start to get mouldy . +

Hi Michael,

Nelson probably will dump more rain out your way. Hopefully it won't hit anywhere near you... Have you got those shadehouses up yet??

Wal,

A chance of more rain might come your way. You never know, Nelson might make it south enough to dump a bit of rain in Brisbane. I am here at the moment (Brisbane) - 3 days so far and there is no rain cloud around... but things are definitely looking greener already.

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Matty B here is a photo of the one at the SD Zoo 2 weeks post freeze.  Looked perfect!  The second photo was un-named, i think its a vetchia.  I was surprised at how good everything looked.  Surprisingly Dypsis Pembana looked the worst of all the palms I saw.  I think it was a new planting.

Sorry for the poor quality, my camera broke so these were taken with a throw away.

00250022.jpg

Thanks for that pic Nick.  That's definately the biggest one I've seen around. :D

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Matty, you haven't seen this guy before? I posted a pic a while back from the zoo.

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!