IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis florencei

jdapalms

I am growing both of these palms in Leilani Estates HI one has an entire leaf and the other is a split leaf (same specie) and I would love to hear comments about these palms. I have also heard that these are considered to be Dypsis palidosa? My Dypsis palidosa look related but are different in many ways. Any opinions?

Another question I have is how true would the offspring be to the mother plant in other words would the simple leaf palm produce simple leaf seedlings or divided leaf seedlings as they grow or both?

I have a few thousand seedlings at this time of the simple leaf form but I am not sure if they will take after there mother. anybody else out there know? I hope that they do as this is a great looking palm.

I have grown other batches of impoted seed in the past and they have grown with an entire leaf as a juviinile palm but ultimately the leaves will divide. This simple leaf form seems to be unusual for this palm.

Jerry

Dypsis florencei (simple leaf)

Dypsisflorenceisimpleleafform.jpg

Dypsis florencei (split leaf)

Dypsisflorenceisplitleafform.jpg

Jerry D. Andersen

JD Andersen Nursery

Fallbrook, CA / Leilani Estates, HI

Jerry,

These are a beautiful palm, in either of it's form. I think most people will agree, you will certainly get both forms from the entire leaf form. I would also like to mention, that this still is an un-descibed species to my knowledge, and it's name; florencei orriginated from Alfred's wife's name which is Florence. He is a seed merchant in Tana. A great understory palm!

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

These are one of the best! Here's mine which varies from totally undivided leaves, to a single split.

florencei.jpg

Here's a young one that started off nicely bifid, but has recently started splitting...maybe just a different form, or maybe another species altogether..

young-florencei.jpg

While we're looking at these kinds of Dypsis, Clayton has a beauty growing through his shadehouse..must bt 15 ft tall now...perhaps a similar species, but more robust...

dypsisspclayton.jpg

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Jeff, Alfred is a nurseryman, just like you! Yes he does sell seeds. He has supplied the world with a number of wonderful plants and palms. He is also my friend!

Jerry, I have this palm growing and flowering in San Clemente. Who would have thought? Mardy Darian told me about this palm more than 12 years ago. He said it looked similar to Pelagodoxa with a colored crownshaft.

I will continue to grow and sell as D. Florencia regardless of what someone might say it is!

I was only aware of the simple leaf form.  It's too early to tell with mine yet, as they seem to be struggling even to put out there first leaf.  I assume they are relatively slow growers, unless I don't have the conditions right.  The first few that I had germinate seemed to burn and die as soon as they sprouted, so I have moved them into less light, which seems to have overcome that problem, but I don't know if there is another issue slowing growth.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Jerry,

Yes, as you know, these are great palms that really thrive here in Leilani Estates. I've found them to be relatively fast growers. They probably go from a 1G size to 12-14 ft in about 5-6 years. Here's one.

Bo-Göran

post-22-1170815996_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

And looking up into the crown, against the sun

post-22-1170816043_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm