IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Syagrus R. X Parajubaea Sunkha

TimHopper

His phone is disconnected and he has not responded to any emails. I have no idea what has happened to him. Some folks have alluded to health problems or other issues. Unfortunately, I do not have any information on his whereabouts.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Mandrew and Tank, thanks for the response... It's too bad no one has the insight on Tim and his situation; he was a valuable source to this site and the palm hybridization process!

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

• 1 month later...

No Tim, but here is an update of what some of these look like. A couple of them are now have the strap leaves starting to split. Still too early to tell what they look like. Keeping my fingers crossed.

post-112-0-00999000-1392738322_thumb.jpg

post-112-0-52890800-1392738327_thumb.jpg

post-112-0-06987100-1392738333_thumb.jpg

post-112-0-65076200-1392738338_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

He has been responding to posts on facebook. So he is alive.

• Like 1

I'm not on Facebook y'all let him know the doc is glad he's alive and that I'm still waiting for his palms.

• 4 weeks later...

I do not know tim, and I will not judge
but I have a question to all of you:
how do you know if these are really hybrids? if you can not trust a person who does not respond to email?

GIUSEPPE

For those of you that used Paypal you can get your money back, Paypal is good with this.

Edited by gyuseppe

GIUSEPPE

Thanks for the advice. Any thoughts on how to go about recouping the money? ie a contact at paypal or something.

That's OK, I figured it out.... I just filed a claim against Tim Hopper with Paypal. Its been a year. I gave him enough time to send my palms.

• 6 months later...

Any updates on these? I have two plants from these seeds here in the UK and they haven't gone pinnate yet but they do seem to grow a lot quicker than pure queens so I remain open to the possibility that they are genuine S. rom x Paraj. sunkha. We don't get enough heat here for queens to grow as quickly as other parts of the world so the fact that these are motoring away suggests that they do have some Parajubaea blood.

Any chance of an updated pic Mike? Or does anyone else have some of these that are now pinnate? What would be some defining characteristics that would suggest the presence of Parajubaea in the seedlings?

Well, the only thing that would have been worse than not getting any palms from Tim, would have been getting those... and dedicating time, effort, and a prime garden spot to some queen palms.

what a bummer that so many people got hoodwinked...!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Once i received seeds from a well known reputable hybridizer and they also turned into pure queens and not queen x jubaea. It wasn´t bad faith ! Hybridizing isn´t Mathematic, there are so many factors involved , that can make autopolination happen, like insects entering the bag, etc. The hybridizer have to take all measures to avoid this, emasculating, washing the inflorescence, spraying with alcohol for consecutive days, bagging properly, etc , removing all the inflorescences on queens in the near vicinty to this palm that he´s hybridizing. I pollinate shaking a plastic bag with pollen on the receptive inflorescence , avoiding all insects that are attracted to the flowers. Pollenating with a little brush is too much work and the inflorescence is exposed too long , making insects bringing not desirable pollen to the flowers a possibility.

Only strange that this guy dissapeared..... :-(

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Alberto, sounds like a lot of work. make sure you keep a list of all of us who wants to buy theses from you when they are ready. :)

Sunset zone 24

I would guess that Tim went through a marital shake up.

I will say that his methods were sound and if he did throw up a dud, he replaced it with another plant, in my case, two.

Regardless, this does not excuse him not following through with his sales. Serious bummer for those that paid and did not receive material or a refund.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Whatever happenned to this guy?

He is out having fun on his facebook page.

If this is true thats a surprise to me. I have nothing to complain about Tim. Excelent hibryd seedlings i got from him.

• 1 month later...

I almost ordered from this guy, but a guy feeling told me not too, and Now I'm very glad I didn't. Sorry to everyone who got ripped off. It's really unacceptable.

Well, I feel terrible if his marriage fell apart. Marriage is one of the pieces that holds our society together... and every divorce is a tragedy. If that's why he was unable to deliver on his palms.... maybe he will make it up to all of us sometime in the future.

Well, I feel terrible if his marriage fell apart. Marriage is one of the pieces that holds our society together... and every divorce is a tragedy. If that's why he was unable to deliver on his palms.... maybe he will make it up to all of us sometime in the future.

Or maybe he is getting a divorce because he is that kinda guy who doesn't follow through on things--can look at this both ways... Too many people get married before they realize the commitment it takes to be successful... I really feel it's the latter; otherwise, where is the message, saying to be patient and that he has not forgotten about his obligations?

I second that mandrew, great point.

Sunset zone 24

• 2 months later...

I am offering one of these for sale. I figured I'd list it here on Palmtalk first. It is seed grown. I acquired the seeds from Tim about 2 years ago. I'm sorry that other people had problems with Tim but my dealings with him were fine. I know some have brought up that it might not be a true cross. I can't attest to that and can provide no guarantees. If it turns out that this palm is indeed a Queen Palm x Queen Palm I would not offer a refund, so caveat emptor. All I can say is that I acquired the original seeds as the Syagrus R. X Parajubaea Sunkha palm originally advertised in this post, and the seeds definitely looked different than the Queen Palm seeds that fall from my trees. I have only 1 for sale. Price is $100. USA only. Photo is attached. Contact me at icebluecycads@yahoo.com if interested. Local San Diego pick-up would be preferred.

Joel

post-4841-0-10629000-1428526836_thumb.jp

I am offering one of these for sale. I figured I'd list it here on Palmtalk first. It is seed grown. I acquired the seeds from Tim about 2 years ago. I'm sorry that other people had problems with Tim but my dealings with him were fine. I know some have brought up that it might not be a true cross. I can't attest to that and can provide no guarantees. If it turns out that this palm is indeed a Queen Palm x Queen Palm I would not offer a refund, so caveat emptor. All I can say is that I acquired the original seeds as the Syagrus R. X Parajubaea Sunkha palm originally advertised in this post, and the seeds definitely looked different than the Queen Palm seeds that fall from my trees. I have only 1 for sale. Price is $100. USA only. Photo is attached. Contact me at icebluecycads@yahoo.com if interested. Local San Diego pick-up would be preferred.

Joel

So how many of these did you plant in your garden?

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Hi Len,

I had several seeds damp off and only successfully germinated one all the way through. That is the one I referenced in my post. So the answer to your question is zero. If I don't sell this one the answer to your question will be 1 once I move to my new house.