IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm ID

epicure3

could that be a veitchia/wodyetia cross, perhaps?

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

I would say Veitchia all the way. There's no way of telling what species though.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Looks to me like Ptychosperma Schefferi true sp.

Clayton.

Sunshine Coast Queensland Australia

Minimum 3.C -------- maximum 43.C Average Annual Rainfall 1700mm

IPS Membership since 1991

PLANT MORE PALMS TO SOOTH THE SOUL

www.utopiapalmsandcycads.com

(Ken Johnson @ Feb. 03 2007,18:18)

Dat is a Veitchia!!!!!!!!!!

“WHAT” you are joking aren’t you? ???  Feel the leaf it should be quite thick maybe you have been sold this under the wrong name this sp comes from Irian jaya and it is the true sp.

Clayton.

Veitchia

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Hi Larry

Here are a few photos, the first is Ptychosperma.schefferi, Please note that this sp can be clumping or solitary, this sp was recollected in the early 90’s by Michael ferrero as all the Pty. Shefferi on the market were in fact the wrong sp.

So this might have a few mixed up. Hay “Ken”

I will also add a photo of the closest Veitchia leaf to this ptychosperma leaf so that we all can see the difference. As they say a pitcher is worth a thousand words!

Also these solitary forms should start to seed soon, so I do think some will have a hard time explaining why your Veitchia has ptychosperma seed set on them. ???

I do hope this helps!! :)

Clayton.

post-592-1170630996_thumb.jpg

This is a photo of a veitchia leaf.

post-592-1170631139_thumb.jpg

Regarding Leaf Structures,,           Hello  Spockvr6,  Great  To  See You  Have  Noted  a  couple  of  things  bringing  you  back  On  Track, good  job.   Now Leaf structure difference  between  these  two , Basically Veitchia is ,unequally  emarginate, { but  still  lanceolate,} now if  you  look  at  the  pic's you  will  see  A  Leaflet  that  is  obliquely  praemorse,  {and  lanceolate} That  my  friends  is  Ptycosperma. Any  Grower  should  be  able  to  spot  that,  Your last Post  confirms  heaps,  esp  noting  how  thick  the  leaflet is {not quite  as  thick  as  C. macrocarpa,  and  one  great observation  esp,  ,the colouration  of  the  midrib  being  yellow,     Pat yourself  on  the back.......Ptycosperma  All  The  Way....And  true  P. schefferi  At  That  Sorry Ken,  sounds like you  have  another 'sp' esp if  your  ,,Scheffy  ain't  not 'in' like  dat"...Put  up  a picture  4  us  to  see..Hmmm  Now  That  Word  Ex [something  That  Was,  & spurt,  a  drip, or  something  under pressure,  I  get  it   Ha Ha Ha....... Regards  Mike.E. p.s Check The English Oxford Dic. so what if it is spelt different,  having fun sorry if any take this the wrong way.

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

And loving it".............. smilie.gif

I have relegated this palm to an "afterthought" type spot in my yard as I wasnt all that fond of it (since I was working under the assumption that it was a laggardly growing Veitchia as it was getting handily outpaced by nearby Veitchia and Archontophoenix and Wodyetia.)

Is this palm something that I should consider taking better care of (i.e. it is not all that common)?

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

SORRY  Larry, the  blind  part  was  not  a go  at you , just  others  confusing things yet  again. you have done really well to note those differences,  and in fact this is quite a rare palm. some  just don't want to admit  when they 're wrong and leaving the  person who asks  the question  more confused than ever, not knowing what to believe. seems to be the same people all the time, this is what upsets me, esp when the right infomation has been given,  So look after that rare palm of yours P.sheffrei.

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

calyptrocalyx&licuala freck, I have an off topic, serious question. Not an attack. Is English your first language or some other language?

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

NO.

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

Figured   what   len,  You  Figured  wrong  with  your response  what  way  do  ,Or  how  am  I  to  Take  that. Is  it  the  way  freak  is  spelt  {freck}   My turn  to  ask you  a  question,  not  wanting  to  offend  anyone  but are  you  from  Vancover.  or  maybe  your  from  England, Your  a  pretty  judgemental  person, eh len. Not  all poms  are  bad,  only  there  cricket  team,  &  the  odd 1  or  2   here  and  there.............

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

(calyptrocalyx&licuala freck @ Feb. 05 2007,20:39)

Figured   what   len,  You  Figured  wrong  with  your response  what  way  do  ,Or  how  am  I  to  Take  that. Is  it  the  way  freak  is  spelt  {freck}   My turn  to  ask you  a  question,  not  wanting  to  offend  anyone  but are  you  from  Vancover.  or  maybe  your  from  England, Your  a  pretty  judgemental  person, eh len. Not  all poms  are  bad,  only  there  cricket  team,  &  the  odd 1  or  2   here  and  there.............

Mike

You click on the Profile button at the bottom of a person's post to see where they hail from.

This Ptychosperma seems like one worth looking after that's for sure. Those dark furry markings look simiar to Veitchia, that's probably why the Veitchia bandwagon came to town. I would have been on the same bandwagon myself actually. Thank goodness we have knowledge sharing here. It would be nice for the claimants to come back though, a bit of humility wouldn't go astray. C'est La Vie.

As for the england cricket team, I hope you don't have to eat your words, they may come back in these one dayers yet, the fat lady (who ate all the pies ?) is still in rehearsals.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

(LJG @ Feb. 04 2007,23:53)

calyptrocalyx&licuala freck, I have an off topic, serious question. Not an attack. Is English your first language or some other language?

I have a very good friend from England and I can't understand half of what he says. So I'm starting to doubt English as my first  language.

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

(Wal @ Feb. 05 2007,08:11)

Thank goodness we have knowledge sharing here. It would be nice for the claimants to come back though, a bit of humility wouldn't go astray. C'est La Vie.

Wal,

I couldn't agree with you more a little humility goes a long way. But HUMILITY is a TWO WAY street, it goes both ways.

And just for the sake of argument, HUMILITY is not going back and editing out,or deleting, your arrogant remarks hours or even days later!

Larry,

My apologoy in advance for derailing your thread. Hope you find out conclusively what palm you actually have!

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

I see what people from NSW and Vic mean about Queenlsanders now. Must be all that crappy XXXX beer. LOL.

Of course I am just kidding. :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

To the moderator,

Where did the pictures go that were at the beginning?? It was just getting interesting.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Looks a straight up highjack to me. I'd laugh if they were replaced by something else  :D

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

(Jeff Searle @ Feb. 05 2007,12:43)

To the moderator,

Where did the pictures go that were at the beginning?? It was just getting interesting.

Jeff

I've got no idea. Nothing I did.

After further review......................

In checking the logs it appears as if spockvr6 deleted some posts which must have included the original pics.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

Moderator-

I intended to delete the whole thread before things got any "less friendly" (as my original intent of the thread was satisfied).

I didnt realize that deleting my posts (as thread starter) would not delete the whole thread (as it does on some other web board software).

Sorry if I tried to play "moderator", but I wasnt fond of a thread I started leading to the development, or fostering of, animosities.

Larry 

Larry,        Please   except   my  apology,    I'm    Very Sorry,    I'm     Just    to    passionate    at   times  all    I   want  to  do  is  share,   And   posts   get   a   bit    to   direct   and   heated   at   times    Once  again   Larry  I'm  Very   Very  Sorry...............   Happy   Growing   Enjoy  your   beauty's               Your    Sincerly     Michael  H  Edwards.

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

Larry,

No apology necessary. It is certainly not your fault.

I will leave this thread as a living explanation as to why I felt a policy change regarding edits and deletes was in order. There have been some other examples as well.

http://palmtalk.org/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboar...t=ST;f=1;t=3774

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

:)  Wal         Thank-you   For  your  Kind  Remarks,,     To   Passionated   at   Times...  Fat   Lady   left   after  the  Ashes   She   was   sad,  One  plane,  Her   And  Most  if   not    all    off   The   B, Army.                   Len  :)  Great   to   see  you   have  a   sence  of  humour ,XXXX   is   mainly  drunk  in  the  Outback,      You  see  this  once  they  come  to  the  Big  Smoke,    {V.B}  Very Best,   Victoria  Bitter,  try   nice        and   cold .  Hmmm.       {Four  languages   enough }Len.   Happy  Growing  To  All.    Regards Mike.E.

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

Now I'm realy curious as to the question of "scheffy". I will get some pictures of palms that are decendents of a palm that was growing in Jo Devill's yard ( she got the palm many years ago and some locals have called it schefferi).

Anyone that can add info - now would be a good time to set the record straight?

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

Hi   Ken,    Any  chance of  seeing  a picture,          regards  ,mike.e.

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

:) Hi Clayton      Speaking    of Ptycosperma    Have   Fresh    Seed   Of   P. blesseri,    no  chance  of   hybrid,  U  could  fire   a  large  calibre  firearm  &  the  bullet  would nt   even  see   one.     Also  have  heaps  of   D. spinulosum   pollen  Picked  cones, esp    4  All   Of   your girls...

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

Hi Ken

Yes that is the clumping form of Pty.Shefferi there are a few different form, this is one of the better forms. The solitary forms can look a fair bit different.

Clayton.

Well, it looks like the ID has been solved. The original pictures(which are now gone) are veitchia's.  The last picture that was posted by Ken is the true Ptychosperma schefferi. And there are many of these that have been sold at the local sales here over the years.

So everybody can go home now. :P

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Hi Jeff

Yes  it  is  a  shame  they  not  there,   then you  will    see  two

very  different  leaflets, Sorry to  disagree  Jeff,  those  pic,s  showed  us, & for  sure what  family  they where  in.

Ptycosperma,  Not  Veitchia. Maybe the tomentem  on

the  on  base  pushed  Veitchia  in.  I'm at home and  having  a  great  day  hope u  do  as  well :)

Ken

Thanks for showing  us  your palm, Beautiful  picture

of  the  clumping   form,   Both  Forms  Of This 'sp'  are

a  great  addition  to any  collection,  if  they are  in  

stores,  buy  the  lot,  &  grow  them  to  a  good  size   u  won't  see  many  more,

Make  sure  the  leaf  has  that  thickness  Even  At  as

a  young   plant  you  can  pick  them.

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

(calyptrocalyx&licuala freck @ Feb. 06 2007,22:14)

Hi Jeff

Yes  it  is  a  shame  they  not  there,   then you  will    see  two

very  different  leaflets, Sorry to  disagree  Jeff,  those  pic,s  showed  us, & for  sure what  family  they where  in.

the  on  base  pushed  Veitchia  in.  I'm at home and  having  a  great  day  hope u  do  as  well :)

Here they are again.   Hopefuly any dissent on the ID will be done so that we all remain pals!  I honestly dont care much what it is...Im just curious :D

Palms.jpg

Palms_00-1.jpg

Palms_04.jpg

Palms_05.jpg

Larry 

:) Larry

Thank-you  Very  Much  4  Reposting  those

pictures,    Looking  forward  to  see  plant  once  it  flowers,  

:)     HAPPY  GROWING  regards  Mike.E.

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

(calyptrocalyx&licuala freck @ Feb. 06 2007,22:14)

I have the clumping form and it has the tomentem as well so this can throw you. but the leaves are thin on the Veitchia.

100_1037.jpg

100_1036.jpg

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.