IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My palms....(Illinois)

fr8train

2vxkfiv.jpg

Far left Phoenix loureiroi var. humilis grown from seed, T. princeps center, Sabal palmetto (from seed) far right.

27wsoyu.jpg

ixqqvc.jpg

Princeps from hortus119 on right, and from palmswholesale on left, both much greener than the princeps above.

29593ky.jpg

I got lisa seeds from a fellow palm enthusiast a few years ago : )

jfb7h4.jpg

2z3ovpe.jpg

Trithrinax

23vddt.jpg

33eq1e8.jpg

Waggie

dfld.jpg

30w1m2r.jpg

sticker.gif?zipcode=78015&template=stick

Very nice! Your palms look great. What's the story on the palm in picture 1. Do you leave it in the ground year round? If so, what do you do for winter protection?

nice palms! I especially love those trachycarpus princeps!!

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Very nice! Your palms look great. What's the story on the palm in picture 1. Do you leave it in the ground year round? If so, what do you do for winter protection?

Thank you. Yes, it stays in the ground. In the winter I wrap the trunk and leaves in christmas lights and bury the entire trunk in mulch. I then put two garbage cans over it. Here is the same palm a few years ago...

2yx0s8z.jpg

nice palms! I especially love those trachycarpus princeps!!

Thanks (:

Thank you. Yes, it stays in the ground. In the winter I wrap the trunk and leaves in christmas lights and bury the entire trunk in mulch. I then put two garbage cans over it. Here is the same palm a few years ago...

2yx0s8z.jpg

>nice palms! I especially love those trachycarpus princeps!!

Thanks (:

Nice job. That is a lot of dedication.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Nice job. That is a lot of dedication.

Thanks, I had more palms in the ground, but I had moved out and left them for my parents to take care of, and subsequently most of them ended up dying this winter. ):

Nice palms and welcome to the forum!

Thank you! I actually registered back in 2008, I just rarely post.

Edited by fr8train

Your palms look nice and healthy fr8train.

Aside from the one in the ground do you move everything to the garage or indoors during the winter? Too bad about the ones that were lost while you were home. What else were you growing then?

BTW are the Illinois photos from the north or south part of the state? Curious what zone that is.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

Your palms look nice and healthy fr8train.

Aside from the one in the ground do you move everything to the garage or indoors during the winter? Too bad about the ones that were lost while you were home. What else were you growing then?

BTW are the Illinois photos from the north or south part of the state? Curious what zone that is.

Thanks, and yes the potted palms go indoors for the winter. My parents have had to put up with my obsession for a few years now, even more so now that I'm between houses, so I don't fault them too much. They do their best, I'm not really sure why so many of the palms didn't make it this particular winter. I had a robusta and another butia that didn't make it. Not pictured I have a needle palm and butia whose leaves were burnt pretty badly, but they're still alive.

This is all in northern Illinois, on the outskirts of the southwestern suburbs. I think it's zone 5a.