IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My CIDP took a bit of a bashing

Howeadypsis

This was in the greenhouse, the plan being to over winter it there with a bit of heat, but mother nature decided it wasnt to be and trashed the greenhouse with high winds!

So I keep it in the shed now and bring it out on sunny days (like today, halleelooleea!)

Here it is, a bit straggly looking but alive!

The slabs in the background show where the greenhouse was

CIDPsurvivor01.jpg

CIDPsurvivor02.jpg

And a close up to show its green heart

CIDPsurvivor02a.jpg

Ive been informed I should wait till those damaged leaves are fully brown before rermoving them,correct?

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

Dear Larry

sorry for asking the same question_if its a small container

palm,then why on earth you left that baby to burn in the cold ?

Hey that variety is my first love.and its preety painful to see

such a sight_so sorry if i sound a bit rude  :D

are you guys are all testing your palms_each and every member is just posting that this has survived and that has

concoked off at a specified temperature but if those palms

are grounded we cant help.but in your case you could have

protected that baby.

I dont know what to say !!!

Kris  :(

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Hi Kris, the plant was in my greenhouse which would have heating so it wouldnt have got frost on it. It would have been safe from the cold. But we had strong winds which destroyed my greenhouse leaving the phoenix exposed to the weather, which was very wet at the time but not frosty.

I put it in my shed as it was too big for the house(spiky leaves dangerous for my young children) but the cold got in there and done it a bit of damage, but not too bad! I'm quite amazed to be honest, it has done very well for a tropical palm!

Ouch .... your greenhouse ... i have got only 1 broken window from that storm ...

But ... if the leaves are brown i say remove that, but take a good care of this guy, he needs some help now :)

Was your plan to put him in the ground over some years ?

Robbin

Southwest

Robbin,I'd love to be able to grow this in the ground but it wouldn't survive our winters. Maybe if it was a lot bigger?

What temperature has it been exposed to Larry?

I'm surprised by the damage, because both of mine have seen -5°C/23°F this winter with no damage.  Mine are slightly larger, but they are still small potted palms, so I doubt size is the difference.  I would be inclined to keep it outside next to a south facing wall.  I realise it may experience lower temperatures, but at least it won't have to deal with cold and lack of light or at least not so much lack of light.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

hi Neo(forgot your name again!) i darent keep it outside,its mild at the mo but feb is usually the coldest month so could be a cold snap on the way. not sure of the lowest temp it went thru but at the time of the initial damage it was very windy and raining hard. then we had some frosts and even tho it was in the shed by then it got hit. in summer i always keep it outside against the S.facing wall as you say.

Yeah, you guys over in Europe had some NASTY storms over there, which we were too busy wringing our hands to notice.

Some of the damage is really bad, like those powerlines down in Germany.

Egad!

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Those winds certainly were certainly more of a problem for my CIDP's than the cold has been.  The older fronds, whilst still green are looking a little tatty.  I can't believe how well the newests fronds coped though, they still look perfect, despite being higher and I would have thought more exposed to the wind.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Rain 736mm pa

I havent been able to accesss this site all day, thought something had happened for a moment!

Larry,

I shall be frank so dont get upset.

Even down here on the South Coast I specify a min size of 6` for a CIDP tho there is still a good chance for one half that size but its amazing how much frost protection a good canopy gives but its also the stem thickness that helps of course due to the greater insulation a fat stem provides for as there is no cambium layer all moisture goes up the centre (OK thats practical explanation not botanical).

Up there I think 6` should be the very minimum size for planting outside.

Regardez and good luck

Juan

Juan

It just looks like moderate cosmetic damage.  The palm will live on.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Larry, I was wondering what the lowest temperature you see in Darlington is?  Your average winter minimum is only 1°C/1.8°F lower than here with substantially less rain, but I realise that doesn't necessarily tell the whole story.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Rain 736mm pa