IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Importing palm seed into HI

Morabeza

Hello Everyone,

Thought some of you locals might be able to help answer a question of mine.  I would like to buy some palm seed for the first time from out of state.  In this case it's for a small packet of seed from Rarepalmseeds.  

Can I import palm seeds into Hawai`i from abroad?

The Hawai`i Dept. of Agriculture website says regarding the importation of palms:

"Palm family:  Plants from the mainland U.S. are not allowed. Plants from foreign countries and propagative parts require certificate of origin."

(I am aware of the restriction of live plants because when I moved here I was very sad that I couldn't bring my Lemurophoenix or my Chamaedorea tuerckheimii.)

Their website says nothing about restrictions on the importation of seed.  Yet I have heard around that even bringing in seed to the state is prohibited.  This can't be true right?  

This Malihini needs some advice from the more experienced Kama`aina!

Mahalo,

Jacob

Jacob,

I'm pretty sure that with an import permit this can be done. Have never bought seeds from out of the country, but have ordered seeds (including germinated seeds) from Ortanique (Bay Area) on a number of occasions, and no problems with those shipments. I don't have an import permit. At least not yet!

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

@ Bo-Göran, thank you for sharing your experience with bringing in seed.  If you can do it, I shouldn't have a problem either.  I just wanted to check and see with others so I don't end up with an unpleasant surprise later on.  Hope you don't have any more `ohi`a lehua crashing down in the next few days!

@ Zac.  Thank you!  Assim é a vida.  Yes it was hard to say goodbye to them but both went to good homes.  Eventually I will find some again!

Jacob,

My experience is a few years old, but post homeland (in)-

security, so maybe is still applicable. You need a phyto-

sanitary certificate from the country of origin and an import

permit from the state Ag dept, the form can be found here:

http://www.hawaiiag.org/hdoa/pdf/pq-7.pdf

Other details are listed at the main ag site.

There are other regulations in effect, CITES being the

main one.

http://www.cites.org/

What interesting stuff have you got coming?

aloha,

Mahalo Tom,

I do have a permit like the one you linked to, thank you for sharing your experience.  

I haven't quite decided on which seed yet.  I have NEVER germinated any palm seeds before!

Jacob,

I've exported seeds form Western Australia to Hawaii without too much hassle .

You need an import permit and the supplier needs to supply a Phyto Certificate with the seeds.

Just make sure the seeds your looking at importing are allowed to be imported ( not classified in Hawaii as a threatening or weed species) and you shouldn't have any trouble.

Spending a little time with your paper work makes life easy for everyone.

Jason.

PS: you can always double check with  Al in Kona as he was the recipient of the seeds I sent

Made the move to Mandurah - West Aust

Kamipalms,
Growing for the future

You can not send seeds to hawaii. If you have a permit it is possible though. Although you will have trouble getting orders from RPS. He has upset the inspectors and they usually destroy his orders to hawaii.

Aloha, I'm in Hawaii and I buy seeds in the mail. I can't speak to the specifics of agriculture laws. This is my own personal experience:

Last year, I ordered seeds all the time for delivery to Hawaii. I don't have any permits nor did I request certificates from the senders to go along with the seeds. I ordered seeds over the internet (eBay, various seed sellers on the US Mainland and even rarepalmseeds.com).

Of about 40 to 50 individual orders, only two (2) were seized by US Customers/Hawaii Ag Customs. Both shipments were from Asia. One was Borassus flabellifer from Thailand and the other was (an African palm... forgot the name) from Hong Kong. Incidentally, I have  Borassus flabellifer growing in my yard right now thanks to a member of this forum (whom I won't name; he had a friend who smuggled the seeds into the USA from Thailand).

Almost all of my seed packets came in zip-locks bags inside ordinary envelopes. Almost none of them appeared to have been inspected or opened. On the international declaration form, Rarepalmseeds.com simply said it was a gift. Can't recall if they declared it was seed or not. The return address DID NOT have the word "seed" in it. Just an ordinary-looking package.

Want some irony? I actually found seeds for an endangered palm native to Kauai for sale on the US Mainland (Pritchardia napaliensis). I live on Kauai -- and in order to cultivate a native endangered species, I had to have them sent (illegally?) back to Kauai. And the seller later removed them from his inventory because he was told it's ILLEGAL to sell seeds of endangered palms! How is this helping the situation????

Germinating and growing palms since December 2005

Zone 11 on the leeward side of Kauai, Hawaii

sunny, hot, dry summers with mild winters

340+ sunny days a year

always between 66-92F (19-33C)

You can buy any seeds you want and have them shipped by US mail and local ag guys never know about it!

U can ship just about anything in the mail as long as it's not an explosive.

I know some guys that bought plants on the mainland while visiting.  Packed them in boxes themselves and mailed them home.  The boxes came thru w/out any problem.

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens