IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Passionate About Palms

BobbyinNY

Hey Doug,

we're in the same zones.....(7a)..  Although we've never gotten down to -17f, we do get down to 15f a couple times/year....so I can related to your growing conditions... This will be my first year trying a couple species in the ground - some with protection and some without.... I'll let you know in April.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Hey Doug, Can't speak for NM, but the absolute toughest palm around here who has taken the most cold including all the 80s cold snaps, and still looks awesome, is the "pure" Washingtonia Filifera.  I highly recommend you get one.  Plus they love the desert-like climate.  You see huge 50+ year old specimens that have taken the worst of cold Texas has had.  Don't get a Robusta or Hybrid!!  Hey, if you look at St. George's climate records, they aren't that much different than ABQ and they are growing them there.  From what I am told, they don't even blink in the Dallas winters, and they usually get below 20F every winter.  I would bet money they are hardy to southern Oklahoma.  I have also seen someone post pics of some good looking ones in T or C, NM.

• 1 month later...

Doug:

I agree with Bobby, and with Jim.

Also consider a Jubaea chilensis.  They supposedly take down to 0 F.

COLD!

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Oh, yeah, hey, hmm.

He wasn't stumpified . . .

dave

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

A Jubaea down to 0°F is amazing, but they should definitely handle 15°F.  Some of the Jubaea hybrids should take lower, as well as growing faster.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Like I once said in an earlier quote, I eat, drink, dream, smoke, talk,look at palms and collect them !! :cool:

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

(Jeff Searle @ Aug. 23 2006,10:20)

Like I once said in an earlier quote, I eat, drink, dream, smoke, talk,look at palms and collect them !! :cool:

We'll all worry when you start having conversations with palm trees.

Jacksonville, FL

Zone 9a

First Officer

Air Wisconsin Airlines (USairways Express)

Canadair Regional Jet

Base: ORF

(Logolight @ Aug. 23 2006,11:35)

Yea, by then my wife will have me medicated I'm sure.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

• 3 weeks later...

(Logolight @ Aug. 23 2006,11:35)

We really worry when you have conversations with them . . . .

And your palm-mates who happen to visiting join you!

"Hey Teddy Bear, how ya doin' mate?"

dave

(soft music playing) I fondle their tender leaves with my sensual touch and in the evening I make sweet love to them, grunting like a boar in the woods..... (record scratch) ...oh...sorry sorry.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Of course I talk to my palms and they talk back.

I also talk to my cat and she talks back too.

I talk to my wife but she doesnt listen and she talks a lot but I must be on the wrong frequency.

My girlfriend I do converse with and even intruced her to aforesaid wife a few weeks ago (laser beams at 10 paces).

Still guys give me some credit for nerve!

Regards

Jon

West Sussex

still unable to sign on properly for some reason

Juan

Jon- That is odd. Have you talked with Mike ( IPSPTAdmin) about this problem? I know you'd like to get back to being you again. Not that Bilbo isn't an admirable character. He did ssteal the "precious" from dear old Gollum.

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

Of course I talk to my palms and they talk back.

Uh-oh  :D

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Here's some examples of the cold hardy filiferas around my area.  They get absolutely huge and aren't touched by the cold, even the 80s cold snaps.  Here's some 50 year old trees.

Palm5.jpg

DCP_1840.jpg

The canary island dates are completely hardy around here too.

Palm6.jpg

Seeing tons of queen palms.  They do great, except, uh-oh, what's going to happen if we see another 89 freeze.

Palm15.jpg