IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Seed Size on Chamadorea plumosa

DoomsDave

Howdyall:

Some of my C. plumosas appear to have set some seed (gonzer also had some, too I believe).

I note that the seeds I have on my plants are no larger than peppercorns.  That seems awfully small.

I could not find C. plumosa listed in Don Hodel's Holy Book of Chamadoreas, either.

Anyone know how big the seeds are when they're viable?

I hope mine are, I hope I hope I hope . . . .

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Dave,

C. plumosa seeds are a wee bit bigger than C. seifrizii. The closest comparison would be of Licuala grandis. I am talking of the true C. plumosa - with no hybridization etc. And like grandis - they tend to be fairly uniform in size. So in a lot of about 10,000 seeds - i would be surprised to see 100 seeds of varying sizes. I cannot say this about many species - and hence the need to make a special mention here.

Like all palm seeds - they germinate only when fresh - losing viability fairly quickly. I will have these seeds in April/May at which time - i will be happy to send you some for comparison sake.

joseph

www.ortanique.com

SF Bay Area, CA

Wow that’s some explanation!!

Firstly depending on conditions weather soil amount of water and climate can alter the size of seeds especially with licuala grandis!!!!!

Hi Dave they seem to take 12 months to mature the seed size can differ depending on many things even in habitat, this is a photo of one of mine these are close to being ripe just the seed colour has to change.

Hope this photo helps? :)

Clayton.

post-592-1170374405_thumb.jpg

Sunshine Coast Queensland Australia

Minimum 3.C -------- maximum 43.C Average Annual Rainfall 1700mm

IPS Membership since 1991

PLANT MORE PALMS TO SOOTH THE SOUL

www.utopiapalmsandcycads.com

Hmm.

Clayton:

Is that rule in millimeters or centimetres?

dave

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Hi Dave

Both millimeters and centimeters, don’t worry about size to much there can be a big difference in seed size. Time and colour is what you should be looking at.

All the best.

Clayton.

Sunshine Coast Queensland Australia

Minimum 3.C -------- maximum 43.C Average Annual Rainfall 1700mm

IPS Membership since 1991

PLANT MORE PALMS TO SOOTH THE SOUL

www.utopiapalmsandcycads.com

Did you have a male C.plumosa close by in flower at the same time as your female?

ripe seeds when clean should be around 8 mm in diameter but as Clayton mentioned above, growing conditions greatly affect seed development.

C.plumosa was discovered shortly after the publication of Chamaedorea Palms along with a hand full of others.

The only published info on C.plumosa is   PRINCIPES  October '92  36- 4 but , it is in black and white.

Made the move to Mandurah - West Aust

Kamipalms,
Growing for the future

Here are my seeds.  They're about the size of peppercorns.

Note the dollar bill in the background, which is exactly 6" (15 cm) long.

post-208-1170629588_thumb.jpg

(Kamipalms @ Feb. 03 2007,00:34)

Did you have a male C.plumosa close by in flower at the same time as your female?

ripe seeds when clean should be around 8 mm in diameter but as Clayton mentioned above, growing conditions greatly affect seed development.

C.plumosa was discovered shortly after the publication of Chamaedorea Palms along with a hand full of others.

The only published info on C.plumosa is   PRINCIPES  October '92  36- 4 but , it is in black and white.

My girl is surrounded by horny, blooming boys.

If these aren't viable, I'm sure there'll be some at are some day.

New flowers coming as we speak.

When the seeds come, C. plumosa will be available.

dave

Hello Dave,  My seeds are about the size of a green pea, they turn from green to black at maturity.  I have germinated several seed lots and have had delayed germination of some seeds within each lot.  After the initial germination, sort out  and re-sow the remaining, sound seeds.  I believe the initial and subsequent germination is an adaption to the seasonally dry habitat.

San Francisco, California

Darold:

Thanks for the tip!

dave