IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

I did IT !

Moose

:bemused:

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

iditarod

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

It don't count till you ride that bicycle hands free!

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

In Europe we don't see what you say!

:winkie:

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

I remember my first time too.

:floor: Good one! I do as well! No wait,,uuuhhhhh, yeah, yeah i do!!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

attachicon.gifDid IT 1.JPG

It involved this ...

I've never even seen a breaker bar like that one, and there aren't many construction tools I can't provide a correct name for, it must not be a construction tool, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

attachicon.gifDid IT 1.JPG

It involved this ...

I've never even seen a breaker bar like that one, and there aren't many construction tools I can't provide a correct name for, it must not be a construction tool, Ed

I have two, each a different style. Its commonly called a "Florida Bar". My other one as my father's and is about 45 years old.

post-1729-0-19524700-1369862561_thumb.jp

Speaking of construction tools, after the "chipping bar" started kicking my butt, I switched to this to continue ... :rolleyes:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

BLEAH!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Now I understand, you removed your driveway so you can plant more Dypsis, Ed

• Upvote 1

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

Next time rent a jack hammer, much faster. Pictures please!

Next time rent a jack hammer, much faster. Pictures please!

I use the Bosch Hammer Drill because of its light weight. Easier to handle. For bigger jobs I break out the Hilti TE 25.

post-1729-0-21190600-1369870264_thumb.jp

The "breaker bar" was used to yoke out these stubborn roots ...

Now I understand, you removed your driveway so you can plant more Dypsis, Ed

Ed - Driveway removal would have been easier. Another planting project was done back in Dec. (non-palm so no posting on PT). It was along the roadway on the western edge of Moose Land. Found out that the original road was 4 ft. closer to Moose Land. That old asphalt and road bed was way easier to dig than this area was.

post-1729-0-38483300-1369872062_thumb.jp

After the top soil is removed (about 12 inches), this is what constitutes "soil" when you live atop a limestone ridge :crying:

• Upvote 1

Awesome drainage

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

A three foot deep hole was completed. The removed top soil was then put into the bottom along with 10% amendments of compost and oak leaves.

post-1729-0-92889500-1369905158_thumb.jppost-1729-0-84719500-1369905188_thumb.jppost-1729-0-60047900-1369905220_thumb.jp

Hmmm, what is this in a 5 gallon citrus container getting staged for planting ??? :rolleyes:

post-1729-0-03367900-1369905493_thumb.jppost-1729-0-42589000-1369905516_thumb.jppost-1729-0-89860000-1369905565_thumb.jp

Ooops, posted old photos of same plant. These are the Memorial Day Holiday planting pics I meant to post ... :innocent:

Hmmmm. this thread was moved from the Discussing Palms Forum :bummed:

post-1729-0-90464200-1369990665_thumb.jppost-1729-0-99380000-1369990704_thumb.jppost-1729-0-86988600-1369990733_thumb.jp

post-1729-0-26838300-1369990765_thumb.jppost-1729-0-92840000-1369990794_thumb.jp

Well, the Moose has officially joined the Tahina in the Ground Club. I've been growing this palm since it was a seedling.

• Upvote 2

I hope to join someday...

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Moose,

I moved your thread because you had NO PALMS in it! If you start a thread in Discussing Palm Trees you have to do JUST THAT! Talk about them or show some photos - as in right from the get-go! :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

In Switzerland we are very slow: do you mean you DID IT: planting your Tahina in the ground of your garden?
after a long time looking after the baby seedling?

Congratulations!

Best wishes for this new jewel of your collection.

Actually Tahina is a palm? isn't it?
Who is behind the Tahina on the pic n°5? A Dypsis?

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

In Switzerland we are very slow: do you mean you DID IT: planting your Tahina in the ground of your garden? Yes

after a long time looking after the baby seedling? correct

Congratulations!

Best wishes for this new jewel of your collection.

Actually Tahina is a palm? isn't it? Yes, Tahina spectabilis

Who is behind the Tahina on the pic n°5? A Dypsis?

Yes, that is a Dypsis. I got that from Palmetiermeg. It is yet to be identified. Meg had it tagged as Dypsis sp. 'Malagasy".

Great topic Moose! Maybe a palm leaf laying on the ground in your opening post would of kept the ref's from throwing the 'flag' at you. Lol So...moving right along, I absolutely love what you did with the rock and what an excellent species of palm to plant. In another 10 years or so, it's going to be so nice to see all these Tahinas planted around south Florida ( if I have any say in it, lol ). I look forward to seeing it when I come by next. Here's a thought, maybe some color will look good underneath it as it get's taller? Hmmm.....

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.