IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

I did IT !

Moose

I "vote" to move this topic back to it's original spot.

• Upvote 2

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I concur... since I have been guilty of the same crime a few times my own self..

Many people like a good tease...

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I "vote" to move this topic back to it's original spot.

I concur... since I have been guilty of the same crime a few times my own self..

Many people like a good tease...

I agree! And done! :)

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Many thanks Bo,

So we can learn how to plant a Tahina!

This is spectacular!

:winkie:

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

attachicon.gifDid IT 1.JPG

It involved this ...

We call that an 'o'o here. Best tool for digging in rocky soil. Also works well as a lever to move boulders around and is great for five hundred pound tulips;

William

Hana, Maui

Land of the low lying heavens, the misty Uakea crowning the majestic Kauwiki.

Visit my palms here

Awesome. And that palm looks a whole lot healthier than in the earlier photos as well.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

• 1 year later...

In post #34, 5th Photo - you can see the Dypsis sp. Malagasy I got from Meg. Planted May 2013. Here is the same palm as of March 30th 2014.

post-1729-0-00658600-1406236645_thumb.jppost-1729-0-83486900-1406236679_thumb.jppost-1729-0-37503200-1406236719_thumb.jp

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Randy stopped by last Saturday. He was checking out the Dypsis sp. Malagasy for comparison to the one he got from Meg. He said his looked different and was not 100% sure they are the same. He said mine had much more white tomentum.

Here are some shots from this afternoon.

post-1729-0-20326300-1406237440_thumb.jppost-1729-0-48192500-1406237474_thumb.jp

Has the Tahina gone missing??

Has the Tahina gone missing??

Bill - the Tahina is still there. Other plants were planted around it so it was a bit obscured. The last two spikes produced considerably larger fronds. The last is about 4 ft above ground level. Another spike is coming on so as soon as it unfurls I post an updated photo.

Randy stopped by last Saturday. He was checking out the Dypsis sp. Malagasy for comparison to the one he got from Meg. He said his looked different and was not 100% sure they are the same. He said mine had much more white tomentum.

Here are some shots from this afternoon.

attachicon.gifDypsis sp Malagasy 4.JPGattachicon.gifDypsis sp Malagasy 5.JPG

A better look at the tomentum that caught Randy's eye ...

post-1729-0-28634000-1406450375_thumb.jppost-1729-0-70639100-1406450426_thumb.jp

Hmmmm. this thread was moved from the Discussing Palms Forum :bummed:

attachicon.gifTahina finis 1.JPGattachicon.gifTahina finis 2.JPGattachicon.gifTahina finis 3.JPG

attachicon.gifTahina finis 4.JPGattachicon.gifTahina finis 5.JPG

Well, the Moose has officially joined the Tahina in the Ground Club. I've been growing this palm since it was a seedling.

Your landscaping looks awesome Ron!

I love simple looks. It's great how you used large boulders on one end.

• 4 weeks later...

Steve - the simple look got more complex. Added some color to create a tropical look.

Unfortunately those boulders constitute what my soil is about 12" down. They were placed around the palms to discourage vehicles from running them over. The palms are planted roadside and people have parked in front and then driving forward when they leave. The boulders have saved the palms 3 times already. The added foliage is a psychological barrier. Some people don't care about plants but worry about their cars. The logs were added as an additional barrier. The "boulders" are still there, they are just covered now.

Bill - as promised, here is the missing Tahina spectabilis.

post-1729-0-44851400-1408540929_thumb.jp

attachicon.gifDid IT 1.JPG

It involved this ...

Oooooh where did you get that? I need one for my bamboos!

Rob, I believe they are available at the big box stores.

post-1729-0-36384400-1408541105_thumb.jp

The newly opened spear still has not greened up fully, its not a nutritional thing. Got on a ladder to take these shots.TheTahina spectabilis. tucked in by the surrounding foliage has an overall height of 4 ft.

I did it, long before you. :interesting:

That is because you are special and no body does anything better than you. :mrlooney:

That is because you are special and no body does anything better than you. :mrlooney:

:winkie: that's right.

cute thread.

At least there are pictures of mine. Its called prima facia evidence.

Some more shots of the Tahina spectabilis from a different aspect.

post-1729-0-92838000-1408556488_thumb.jppost-1729-0-61771300-1408556535_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Are you certain its not another one of your uber rare Sabals? :innocent:

post-1729-0-82174000-1408556704_thumb.jp

Tahina spectabilis

Ouch!! That was real kick in the testy's. :bemused: Andrew, you've been away for a period of time only to come back and be your confrontational self that only YOU know how to be.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Is this the new snark thread? If it makes both of you feel better I killed mine this Summer. Very bad choice of potting soil on my part. And it was just starting to hit a stride.

This was done long before.

How long ago? Looks around the same size as mine.

attachicon.gifKevin's Tahina 1.jpgattachicon.gifKevin's Tahina 2.jpg

Did Kevin get his before you or is he just a better grower? :36_14_15[1]:

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/37998-my-tahina/?hl=tahina

Kevin got his before me and he is also single--in this way, there is no competition.

He is a good grower and has an insane collection and premo taste in palms.

That was real kick in the testy's.

Let's make this clear: I was away, because the summer is, hands down, winner to a computer screen--no warnings or suspension of any kind(having said that, I missed Dean--how are you, buddy?) have I incurred. But now that I am back, I realize how much I missed your abecedarian grammar!

Guys, in reality I am just being playful--when I saw Moose's response and Kevin's picture yesterday, I laughed and wondered if he was having as much fun as I was with the snarky jabs. :happy: Glad to be back!

Jansin loves showing off his big Tahina! :)

How big is the toddler next to your "big tahina"?

I don't see a toddler

This was done long before.

How long ago? Looks around the same size as mine.

attachicon.gifKevin's Tahina 1.jpgattachicon.gifKevin's Tahina 2.jpg

Did Kevin get his before you or is he just a better grower? :36_14_15[1]:

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/37998-my-tahina/?hl=tahina

Kevin got his before me and he is also single--in this way, there is no competition.

But he has a job

He is a good grower and has an insane collection and premo taste in palms.

• 4 months later...

post-1729-0-02803900-1421843959_thumb.jppost-1729-0-65081100-1421844004_thumb.jp

Here are a couple of updated photos of the Dypsis sp. 'Malagasy' from Meg taken this morning. Its really starting to crank. Thanks again Meg, this palm certainly is draws attention to garden visitors.

Andrew - a definitive ID on this Dypsis has never been resolved to my knowledge. Meg ordered 10 seedlings in 2009, the grower sent 100. Meg did a very nice job distributing this palm to many palm talkers. Until one of the cultivated ones flowers and specimens sent to a Dypsis expert, an ID may not be forthcoming. DNA testing may also be nessasary if this palm does not match up to any known herbarium collections or can be located in habitat. See the threads and link below.

http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Dypsis_sp._%27Malagasy%27

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/29249-dypsis-sp-malagasy/?hl=malagasy

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/22156-dypsis-sp-malagosy-dypsis-sp-manambato/?hl=malagasy

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/19892-dypsis-malagasy-madagascariensis/?hl=malagasy

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/21747-cultural-requirements-for-d-manambato-and-d-malagasy/?hl=malagasy

Thanks, Moose. I have heard of many forms of madagascariensis and am one of the interested parties, but so far, only have madagascariensis... Hope it grows well and turns into something neat and unique. I find madagascariensis looks best in the shade--full sun causes it to yellow and develop nutrient deficiencies, from my experience.

• 3 years later...
On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2015‎ ‎7‎:‎43‎:‎10‎, Moose said:

post-1729-0-02803900-1421843959_thumb.jppost-1729-0-65081100-1421844004_thumb.jp

Here are a couple of updated photos of the Dypsis sp. 'Malagasy' from Meg taken this morning. Its really starting to crank. Thanks again Meg, this palm certainly is draws attention to garden visitors.

It's got trunk (about 3 ft) big fat green with prominent white leaf base scars. Still another unsolved dypsis mystery. Definitely not a black stem. :huh: