How do you protect your seeds?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 FNQ Marcus

FNQ Marcus

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 115 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:51 AM

Palm seeds and seedlings aren't cheap. So I thought I'd share a pic of my maximum security seed raising box. As long as I remember to close the lid, all my little seeds are safe.

In this area we have a native rodent called a White Tailed Rat, that can cut through a coconut and crimp open a tin can. Not to mention some of the other seed eaters that come out of the rainforest at night so an unprotected seed wont last long.

I was curious to see what other systems people are using to protect their seeds?

Attached Thumbnails

• seedcage.jpg

www.sheoakridge.com
Our private nature reserve in Far North Queensland, Australia.
Too much rain in the Wet season and not enough in the Dry. At least we never get frost.

PalmTalk Advertising

#2 aussiearoids

aussiearoids

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 2,880 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:32 AM

Well done Marcus , have been the victim of seed predation many times .. when I was in Mt Molloy I had a batch of precious Anthurium silvigaudens seed gobbled up .. the only thing in the whole supposedly sealed orchid house . Damn critters seem to be able to read labels , and only select the rarest of the rare stuff to dine on .

Michael in palm paradise,
Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.
Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

#3 ErikSJI

ErikSJI

• IPS MEMBER
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:12 AM

Squirrel proof.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC08274.JPG
  • DSC08279.JPG

#4 FNQ Marcus

FNQ Marcus

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 115 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:13 PM

Nice setup Eric. You're a bit cruel to your squirrels though, letting them get such a nice view of the seeds. Bet a few have gotten frustration ulcers.

www.sheoakridge.com
Too much rain in the Wet season and not enough in the Dry. At least we never get frost.

#5 fan palm

fan palm

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 409 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:18 PM

Some very tidy setups guys. Marcus, I need to make one like yours for my seedlings, the white tails love to chew the stem at the bottom. Grrr. Did you modify a box or make it from scratch? I like the idea of metal so it lasts longer in our wet environment.
Cheers

#6 Walter John

Walter John

explorer

• IPS DIRECTOR
  • 14,327 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:56 PM

Cool thread.

Happy Gardening
Cheers,
Wal
Queensland, Australia.

#7 tropicbreeze

tropicbreeze

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:15 PM

We've got the Black-footed Tree Rat here but it doesn't seem to be too bad with seed/seedlings. Although one year most of my Adonidia merrillii seeds were chewed up. But I do suspect it being the culprit behind all the immature coconuts laying on the ground at my place with holes chewed in them. If they make it through to maturity they don't get touched, it's only the immature nuts.

#8 Phoenikakias

Phoenikakias

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:46 PM

Mice have stolen once here mango seeds. They found entrance in to my cold frame through the ventilation openings on the lower part of the structure. I secured after this incident the openings with insect screens, which seem to work.

Edited by Phoenikakias, 26 April 2013 - 11:48 PM.

Koeppen Csa

#9 FNQ Marcus

FNQ Marcus

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 115 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:53 AM

Harry, It's an old galvanized tool box that must have come off the back of someones ute. I found it at our local waste transfer station. The sides and top have been cut open and replaced with steel mesh. It's been in use for over 6 months now and I'm very happy with the results. Much better than the plastic storage box I used to use. I've also lost a lot of young palms, but I think it's due to our local Melomys who are notorious for eating into the stems, leaving half the palm still standing. Thus my seeldings are also in protective custody.

www.sheoakridge.com

#10 aussiearoids

aussiearoids

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 2,880 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:13 PM

I have seen little folded sections of fine chook wire tied onto palms with ripening seeds used to protect seed still on palms .

It is even more frustrating when the rodents get the seeds before they are harvested .

Mate at Mission Beach had a cassowary gobble up Areca montana & guppyana seeds just as they matured .

Michael in palm paradise,
Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.
Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

#11 Cedric

Cedric

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 651 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:36 PM

I have seen little folded sections of fine chook wire tied onto palms with ripening seeds used to protect seed still on palms .
It is even more frustrating when the rodents get the seeds before they are harvested .
Mate at Mission Beach had a cassowary gobble up Areca montana & guppyana seeds just as they matured .

For a cassowary I would be serving them up on a silver dinner plate!

I know what its like Australia seems particularily bad with critters eating gardens unless you are in the inner city. I've seen entire grdens covered like a cage in Australia. My sister who lives in Tasmania bought a lemon tree some special grafted one and something ate the entire thing to a stump miute it started looking good, in one sitting even though it was fenced off. She cried and I thought its only a lemon tree but apparently she has tried every year since she arrived five years ago to get a lemon tree, cages, electric wires nothing keeps what ever it is away, she likes wildlife too.
Cerdic
Non omnis moriar (Horace)

#12 FNQ Marcus

FNQ Marcus

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 115 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:28 AM

Michael, cassowary eating palm seeds isn't such a bad thing. I remember collecting many kg of cassowary faeces from Cape Tribultaion for their seed content as I had to grow 7,000 plants for a re-vegetation project. And the palm seeds that went through a Cassowary gut had fantastic germination( Archontophoenix, Normanbya, Calamus). So all your friend would have had to do is follow the bird around until the defleshed seeds came out the other end - easy. And I'm sure the cassowary wouldn't have taken offence.

www.sheoakridge.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users