IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Last but not least +

Jimhardy

Uncovered the Washy today-nice growth over the winter pushing up some new leaves...

100_6375_zps26767527.jpg

100_6376_zps4841be53.jpg

Also.....I wasn't very nice to this A.Americana,it saw 22F a few times last fall and was burned...then,
wheeled into the dark basement with no planter and kept in the dark-in spite of this it should recover
and will hopefully put out the usual 10-15 leaves this summer.

100_6377_zpsc0972ff3.jpg

Heres a picture of the variegated Aloifolia,it gets an extra color this time of year with the cold and intense sun and ends up a tri-color Aloifolia......

100_6380_zps9893bc23.jpg

One last thing,I checked on one of the Amorphophallus konjac and Philodendron "Hope",the corpse lily is still solid
and appears to have overwintered outside in the ground with a layer of mulch-the P.Hope is also solid and with a little luck
will sprout from the side or below near the root system...time will tell.....thanks for looking!

Love the colors on that yucca!

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

As always, Jim, I am horribly covetous of your garden. . .

-Erik

Nebraska 5b

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

Watch out some day they could grow on you. nice washy ! you may have a hard time protecting them when they get a little bigger. but that is half the fun.post-59-0-72361400-1365017828_thumb.jpgpost-59-0-40237100-1365017871_thumb.jpgpost-59-0-67261700-1365017913_thumb.jpgpost-59-0-90348000-1365017985_thumb.jpg

When it gets too big to cover use this as an excuse to move somewhere much warmer than Iowa in the winter ;)

When it gets too big to cover use this as an excuse to move somewhere much warmer than Iowa in the winter ;)

:floor: Love that one !!!

When they get bigger (when trunk has its final diameter or so), Washys are far less sensitive to cold temperatures. Here, some filliferas have survived -12°C (10°F) with high wind, without protection. Well, some of them also hit the bucket :hmm: , but it's not so bad, don't you think ??

What are your min temps in Iowa ??

Chocapik

As always, Jim, I am horribly covetous of your garden. . .

-Erik

Nebraska 5b

Me too. And I live in z10a!!!!

One of the cool things about washingtonia robusta is you can cut it off at the ground and it will grow back as a shorter plant, thus you can keep this one to a desired height +/-. I had a volunteer in arizona near a couple of water lines in the middle of a walkway and I couldnt pull it out, and didnt want to dig it out for fear of cutting the water lines. So I cut it off at ground height, and it just kept coming with new spears. After a bit I cut it again, then again, it just kept coming. this is also true of some sabals, you can cut them back and they will come forth again. So Jim, if you think its going to be too tall, cut it back. I would also recommend that you consider using some black plastic sheet to help heat up the root area in spring for a quicker start. perforate it and lay it down with a few rocks to hold in place. the sun will heat the black plastic and the soil under it. Warm roots make for better growth. Great work on your zone 5 garden by the way!

Edited by sonoranfans

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Thanks you guys.....the reason I planted it where I did is so I could one day work off the roof if needed :)

The reason I pull back the mulch is to let the soil warm up-usually it starts out around 34F and quickly warms to

around the 50F mark,today it was already 53F @ 4"so the soil warms up pretty quick once temps do!

I have seen a 13F rise @ 4" in one day-no need to speed that up-as mentioned it will get big fast! :rolleyes:

Great result Jim! Tomorrow I finally found the time to let my one free as well.

Southwest

Got them free last sunday under lovely sunshine. They do look quite good and will proberly see the first 20C/68F of the year next weekend, so it's about 3 weeks behind schedule but just on time to let them enjoy the good sunlight and mild weather to come.

CIDPampWashy2013_zps7c343097.png

Washy2013_zps4c0a543b.png

Washy20132_zps02bda0d4.png

Southwest

Wow! You guys can grow these things that far North. Not only am I impressed, but I want to learn how you wrapped your palms so well. Even though I am in Zone 10a this is a great skill to learn to protect more tender palms from cosmetic damage in our occasional rogue freeze.

Looks awesome Robbin...both of them -congrats,and heres to a nice long spring/summer/fall season to enjoy them!

Uncovered the Washy today-nice growth over the winter pushing up some new leaves...

100_6375_zps26767527.jpg

100_6376_zps4841be53.jpg

Also.....I wasn't very nice to this A.Americana,it saw 22F a few times last fall and was burned...then,

wheeled into the dark basement with no planter and kept in the dark-in spite of this it should recover

and will hopefully put out the usual 10-15 leaves this summer.

100_6377_zpsc0972ff3.jpg

Heres a picture of the variegated Aloifolia,it gets an extra color this time of year with the cold and intense sun and ends up a tri-color Aloifolia......

100_6380_zps9893bc23.jpg

One last thing,I checked on one of the Amorphophallus konjac and Philodendron "Hope",the corpse lily is still solid

and appears to have overwintered outside in the ground with a layer of mulch-the P.Hope is also solid and with a little luck

will sprout from the side or below near the root system...time will tell.....thanks for looking!

Your Washie looks better than my washie and I live in PHX Arizona. Mine got burned badly by this years freeze. Yours looks very nice. Great thing they grow fast right! Great job with all of your palms and desert plants.

• 8 months later...

Jim - you gotta be freaking out the neighbors. Has the local paper done a story on your garden?

I know my Mother-in-law in Keokuk would come take a look. :wub:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Chamaerops are also an good option as they can be cut back when becoming to big for protecting. And they will resprout from the base. And a fast growing palm wich is a bonus in a colder climate! And you get several nice forms of them.

Alexander

No real interest except by passers by that I can tell-not sure we have a local paper :hmm::winkie:

Alexander

I have 2 Cerifera,one lost its main growth point and is clumpy looking and one is a single trunked palm...

I would not be interested in cutting a Chammy,Needle palms are enough of a palm bush for me.........

eventually with that technique you would have a clump of palms that is harder to cover.