IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Growing strawberries in a tropical climate??

rprimbs

I know it's a little off topic -- since strawberries are not particularly tropical -- but I am curious if anybody had succeeded with strawberries in a tropical climate.

Here in Southern California we can grow daylight neutral strawberries nearly year round. But in my experience they only do well when potted in an acid loving potting mix. I tried four other popular potting mixes and killed all of the strawberries in a little over 3 weeks. I think that there is something in the mix that must be toxic to the strawberries since several of the mixes were sterilized. So I use an "azalea" potting mix.

Do strawberries have a chill requirement? Could you grow them in a tropical climate if you stuck them in a freezer for part of the year? Like you can do with tulip bulbs. Or would that kill them??

Strawberries are a huge Florida winter crop. I would assume they would grow well in the tropics at a bit of elevation.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Lots up on the tablelands here .. many hydroponic growers.

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

A winter crop here too,,,,,,they struggle in summer.

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

I just hopped up on the roof to get a picture. Tried to get some palms in there too for the tropical aspect

post-4696-0-77272700-1364229734_thumb.jp

Boy Dan, you're going for the 'layered' look. Palms on the roof....awesome.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Sri Lanka has lovely Strawberry fields in Nuwara Eliya, in the mountains, Lovely taste!
They get some cool days and cold nights, and plenty of rain!

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka