IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trithtrinax campestris

Texeltropics

Here is evidence of the growth spurt I mentioned in my status, a few days ago. I have my theories as to why but they are just that...

post-5491-0-36409400-1426083356_thumb.jp

post-5491-0-30582900-1426083728_thumb.jp

This is probably the best picture you will see of a Trithrinax campestris, but I am cheating...

post-5491-0-46756700-1426084982_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Nice to see it is doing good in Florida....looks healthy. Nice Bizzy too :greenthumb:

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Nice to see it is doing good in Florida....looks healthy. Nice Bizzy too :greenthumb:

Bizzy??! Only 'bizzy' is you, not taking the time to look closer--No Bismarckia in my photos, sir.

• Upvote 1

Forgot who's yard it was.....should have known that you wouldn't plant a lowly Bismarckia in such a prominent position. Got to be some rare Copernicia? Dang thing looks like a Bizzy to my weak, untrained eye.

Forgot who's yard it was.....should have known that you wouldn't plant a lowly Bismarckia in such a prominent position. Got to be some rare Copernicia? Dang thing looks like a Bizzy to my weak, untrained eye.

David, don't beat yourself up or Bismarckia--it's a great palm for certain situations. All along the turnpike down here, they are more than impressive. My dad has one with 30 plus feet of trunk. I have a little silver one that's almost 15 feet tall and have been told it's my best palm in the yard. However, I do live in the greatest place in the continental United States to grow palm trees; as that is the case, I feel obligated to be a persnickety palm snob. If I were in your shoes, I would covet Bismarckia. Although, I just picked up three lovely Sabal uresana a couple days ago and I am falling deeply for this palm--I presume it is even more hardy to the cold, than a Bizzy? Do you have one of these, David? If not, and you find your way down my way, I would love to show you my father's bizzy and also give you one of the Sabals I am speaking of--a gift. I am always excited to host fellow Palmtalkers on local PRAs...

Sabal urseana.....a really silver one is on my bucket list for sure. No room for one but I'll cram it in somewhere anyway ....lol. Wish I was heading down there sometime soon, and appreciate the offer. So you never said what it is? ..... also I'm curious as to why your area of Florida would be better than somewhere even further south.....soil conditions? Do you have the same limestone rock that you all call soil down there? Guess I should Google map your area and find out where you are ....lol.

Oh Wow! You do live in a sweet area of Florida....south of Miami on the coast....very cool, or should I say warm. No wonder you grow such awesome stuff! I can see how this area would be even better than further south in Homestead. Probably not as swampy and better drainage, not to mention the sea breezes....excellent. And I can also see how it would be better than the Key's due to their almost constant salty wind and poorer soils. Maybe you do in fact live in the best area of Florida for growing palms.

Oh Wow! You do live in a sweet area of Florida....south of Miami on the coast....very cool, or should I say warm. No wonder you grow such awesome stuff! I can see how this area would be even better than further south in Homestead. Probably not as swampy and better drainage, not to mention the sea breezes....excellent. And I can also see how it would be better than the Key's due to their almost constant salty wind and poorer soils. Maybe you do in fact live in the best area of Florida for growing palms.

David, you said it; there are parts of Broward, on the coast that stay warmer, but their soil is all sand and that can cause problems with nutrition. Further south to Homestead/Redlands is about 4 degrees colder on average than I am. If you go down to the Keys, there is almost a complete lack of soil and as you stated, there is a lot of salt in the air to contend with. Also I believe Cutler Bay has a higher rainfall than the keys and we are more convenient, as far as amenities/cost of living than the keys and Broward. I first thought about living in Homestead, but the amount of chemicals, due to all the agriculture was a huge turn-off, despite the large lots of land for fairly cheap. Lots of people with hazmat suits spraying all kinds of junk on hibiscus... I was born in Cutler Bay and am fortunate to still live here, just a half mile from both my parents and my in-laws--all golf cart friendly. Our soil here is pretty established(used to be mango and avocado farms for decades, before they chopped and propped houses)--can't grow any Euterpe but give or take 600 species of palm, pretty easily will grow and many will grow very very well. Oh, and you were also right about the palm--Copernicia fallaensis; cream of the crop!

is anyone else growing Trithrinax campestris in Florida??

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

• 2 weeks later...

I had one in the ground for almost a year and a half planted from a 7 1/2 gal. container. Never had any problems with spear pull (never had any growth either!). Then, one day, I came home and there was a hole in the ground where it USED to be. Didn't understand why anyone would steal that palm. Not particularly expensive. I was ultra pissed, nevertheless. That was quite a while ago. Thought I had gotten over it. I guess not. Would like to try another one, though.

52% 9B / 42% 10A / 6% "Other"

Brandon.gif

Andrew I am glad I could beat you and your almost tropical climate once lol!

post-6141-0-77643700-1427626671_thumb.jppost-6141-0-35373200-1427626705_thumb.jp

Besides has your plant dichotomized or hat it produced a side shoot? Mine had literally dichotomized (split) and since after the two plants keep taking greater distance from each other by growing their respective trunks horizontally...

post-6141-0-19775800-1427626934_thumb.jppost-6141-0-28511800-1427626960_thumb.jp

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hmmm, I assume key is the hot and dry summer and the frequent drying northern wind during winter. Water regime fluctuates from every second day for 5 minutes during mid to late sping, through every day for 8 minutes during summer and fall, than every second day during December, then not at all during January and February to finally every third day for 5 minutes during early spring. Of course this pattern may alter to less or more if certain months are exceptionally cool or warm. As for the soil, I think you can figure out its consistency yourself by observing carefully the two last pictures (all materials are native from my soil in the pictures :winkie: ).

Consistency means less drainage?

I think that water regime explains your growth rate compared to the above non-watered slower palms...

I will post a picture of mine later.

I had one in the ground for almost a year and a half planted from a 7 1/2 gal. container. Never had any problems with spear pull (never had any growth either!). Then, one day, I came home and there was a hole in the ground where it USED to be. Didn't understand why anyone would steal that palm. Not particularly expensive. I was ultra pissed, nevertheless. That was quite a while ago. Thought I had gotten over it. I guess not. Would like to try another one, though.

What the! Really? ..... that's pretty bizarre. ...had to be someone that knew what it was. Don't imagine it would have transplanted well.

Andrew I am glad I could beat you and your almost tropical climate once lol!

attachicon.gifrsz_??????????0677.jpgattachicon.gifrsz_??????????0678.jpg

Besides has your plant dichotomized or hat it produced a side shoot? Mine had literally dichotomized (split) and since after the two plants keep taking greater distance from each other by growing their respective trunks horizontally...

attachicon.gifrsz_??????????0680.jpgattachicon.gifrsz_??????????0679.jpg

That puppy is nice! and you totally beat me :) Yes, mine has a pup on the bottom. I just got a Trithrinax biflabellata today and will be updating palmtalk on that palm too. I didn't realize this is the most primitive palm genus.

Wayne, sorry to hear that--you know how rare such a theft is; most people who are educated know better, so this person must be a bad seed, plain and simple. I would bet you even know the perpetrator. Was it in the front or back yard? Been a long time--hope all the palms you got from me are thriving!

Dr. U.A. Young had a good sized specimen in his Tampa garden for decades. It may still be there or may have been one of the plants moved before the property gets bulldozed.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Do you walk the neighborhood Wayne?

Or better yet, have you watched who walks by all the time?

Dont forget, what comes around goes around.

And I would bet whoever stole it didnt know what it was. Thats why they stole it.

Brandon, FL

27.95°N 82.28°W (Elev. 62 ft)

Zone9 w/ canopy

• 2 weeks later...

I do walk around the neighborhood a lot & have never seen it. There's only a couple of people who have caught the "palm bug" around here, and I would like to think they got their inspirations from my yard :) . It was in the front yard down by the road, but so are several other of my palms & cycads. This was on the south end of the yard, by the storm sewer. There used to be kids that rode their bikes around and "jumped" the drainage curbs, so I have a suspicion that they might have gotten pissed that I planted that in their landing zone. How DARE I plant something in my own yard and inconvenience them. I have no proof, but...... At least I have not seen them ridding the neighborhood in a long time. Hopefully they moved or became responsible (now I'm talking like an old fart!). I bought it from Frank and I think he got it from Action Theory. I would like to get another one, but as large as possible. I have had a schizophylla in the ground for close to 5 years that has barely shown any growth.

Andrew - The Nannorrhops you gave me caught some kind of fungus and unfortunately died. Everything else is doing fine. I have been wanting to come back down that way for a while, will definitely have to plan a trip, hopefully soon and get more "goodies" to put in my yard. How has the Cyrtostachys faired?

Ray - I don't remember seeing that the last time I went to Kopsik. They had acquired a large one from another source, but I think it went from partial shade to full sun & did not transplant very well. I don't think it made it.

52% 9B / 42% 10A / 6% "Other"

Brandon.gif

The lipstick is fantastic. has several rings of trunk on it and the leaves are sometimes a bit messy, but that's probably because we don't trim our palms--just wait for them to fall off so that has a way of making the palm not look as good as some of the trimmed ones, but I think it's better for the palm not to be trimmed. Please let me know when you plan your next trip down--I have some palms I am sure you might be interested and our gardens are always growing and looking ever better. Glad to hear your palms are doing well!

• 8 years later...
On 3/11/2015 at 9:16 AM, Mandrew968 said:

Here is evidence of the growth spurt I mentioned in my status, a few days ago. I have my theories as to why but they are just that...

post-5491-0-36409400-1426083356_thumb.jp

post-5491-0-30582900-1426083728_thumb.jp

Palm still around for an update? 

• Like 2