IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Why the Username?

Xerarch

apaandssa are the initials of my husband and then my initials. To add to the confusion, I have always been called Cindy which was my former middle name. When I married, my given last name became my middle name as is the habit in the US and the Cynthia disappeared.

The good thing is that if someone calls and asks for Sarah they are probably just trying to sell me something!

My avatar is me with our beloved Metroxylon salomonense in Puerto Rico planted by the previous owner of our farm. It's a bit hidden down a hill so I didn't even know it was there until several visits after we had bought the property!

Cindy Adair

My forumname Ciczi is just a nickname for Cecilia which is my real name. The spelling came from a desire to be unique on a forum back in 1999, and it's still good. My avatar is a picture taken for my thirtieth birthday and the palm I'm leaning on is my first (and so far largest) palm, Phoenix roebelenii.

//Ciczi

Greetings from the southernmost Swedish town Trelleborg,

also known as the Palmcity.

USDA zone 7 with a good microclimate

My name is from one wild west game where was one native american called like that and because nobody discovered this nick I use it almost everywhere.

That picture has been taken in Botanic garden of Universitas Carolina in Prague. I am standing in front of Strelitzia nicolai.

• Upvote 1

Ondra

Prague, Czech Republic

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_metric_

• 1 year later...

My username, Sandy Loam -- You might assume that it has to do with my soil, but that's just a coincidence. It's my real name (ahem, cough cough)

The photo to the left is of Moorings Beach in the Florida Keys (Middle Keys) -- nowhere near where I live, but it's in the 12-months-of-summer zone where I try to spend as much of winter as possible.

Best,

Sandy L.

When we emigrated from the old country, the family name got shortened from "Loamovitz".

(sorry, I couldn't resist)

My name is from one wild west game where was one native american called like that and because nobody discovered this nick I use it almost everywhere.

That picture has been taken in Botanic garden of Universitas Carolina in Prague. I am standing in front of Strelitzia nicolai.

Funny!

I never believed Strelitzia nicolai may look like a Phoenix canariensis blooming!

The picture is small, I may be wrong… Andrew, Where is the Strelizia?

• Upvote 3

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

BTW: in sinhalese, Doranakandawatta means :

Watta: gardens

Kanda: Hill

Dorana: Lord

= Lord's hill gardens

The Lord must have been someone in the past…. The hill is still there.

The gardens are the place I enjoy so much :)

The picture of my avatar is a sculpture of my friend Kasun, the artist and owner of the gardens: a man riding an ant.

• Upvote 3

Philippe

Funny!

I never believed Strelitzia nicolai may look like a Phoenix canariensis blooming!

Gone to WC for a minute and just returning! Or is it rather a ... triffidoid Strelitzia ? :floor:

Edited by Phoenikakias

Hi Charlie

Funny!

Gone to WC for a minute and just returning! :floor:

Hi Charlie !

Do you have palms in your WC?

What is the translation of Phoenikakias?
Phoenix ?
and Kakias' Kaki? Kakos?

In sinhalese language, kakusiya is "WC" …sorry, Konstantinos. :)

• Upvote 2

Philippe

Few years ago I made Olive Oils soaps. Beeing from Dalmatia its easy to get the whole story :)

Dalmatinskisapun1_zpsc85d74a6.jpg

Dalmatinskisapun2_zpsdb681cae.jpg

I've enjoyed reading this thread and wondered many times about user names here.

Before joining here I had lurked for quite some time while we were planning our landscaping, and we had bought a few palms by that point. Probably would have joined sooner if I could have come up with a user name that I actually liked. When I saw black spots on our butia petioles, I wanted to post, so needed a name. I guess since I had spent a good part of my life in Zone 5 and 6 and always wanted to move somewhere west and warmer, "Westcoast" kind of described that relocation goal for me. We got married on a beach in Hawaii and honeymooned in Australia and if we didn't have family back east could have easily stayed in either place, but decided both were too many miles away. Otherwise "Westcoast" probably would have been something of Hawaiian or Oz origin. And "Gal", well not original and really didn't like so much but wanted to log on at that point, so gal it was.

I didn't have an online avatar for quite sometime. When hubby and I joined IPS I felt I should add one at that point to go with the IPS logo. The photo I used came from one of many long, leisurely walks around my local palm nursery...closest thing for us to walking through a tropical jungle. The palm trunk in my photo is that of a skinned trachy. I loved the thin trunk and layered, multi-colored look of it especially next to the colorful oleander that was growing nearby. For the Zone 9a-b area I moved to I thought it reflected a nice tropical look. Way more inviting look than the snow zone I came from.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

WCG....glad you post...you helped me design my pool!

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Mandrew is an old college nickname and 968 is my automobile. Avatars change from time to time...

Cool thread :)

• 2 weeks later...

Funny!

Philippe, this is the final form of Strelitzia nicolai. It grew a bit and now it looks like Phoenix! :laugh2:

Ondra

Prague, Czech Republic

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_metric_

bepah was coined by my oldest grandson when grandpa came out wrong (20 years ago).

The avatar reflects how I like to spend my mornings when not gardening.....

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Palmaceae is pretty obvious plus it's a cool name! My current avatar is a picture I took of a Red Spicata Coconut from Fairchild.

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

I am Bob and I had a pogostick. Some time ago I was at Rick Lunas house and I spotted this giant pogo stick contraption that had a coil spring from a truck, and I borrowed it for a while. I became quite the expert jumping all over the town, springing and bouncing like a crazed kangaroo until one morning on Martin Luther King day when my son and a bunch of his friends were hanging around, I mounted the big stick and put on quite the display of sky hopping and went too big. The damn thing had a catastrophic failure of the right foot peg sending my foot to the ground with all my momentum from at least 15ft in the air, snapping the tibia and dislocating the ankle. Also at this time Kent Houser was editer of the California palm journal, and he named me "PogoBob" in one of his articles. To this day, I hate Martin Luther day, and Rick Luna is still looking for his pogo stick. The photograph is self explanatory. Truthfully

• Upvote 3

Robert de Jong

San Clemente, CA

Willowbrook Nursery

I am Bob and I had a pogostick. Some time ago I was at Rick Lunas house and I spotted this giant pogo stick contraption that had a coil spring from a truck, and I borrowed it for a while. I became quite the expert jumping all over the town, springing and bouncing like a crazed kangaroo until one morning on Martin Luther King day when my son and a bunch of his friends were hanging around, I mounted the big stick and put on quite the display of sky hopping and went too big. The damn thing had a catastrophic failure of the right foot peg sending my foot to the ground with all my momentum from at least 15ft in the air, snapping the tibia and dislocating the ankle. Also at this time Kent Houser was editer of the California palm journal, and he named me "PogoBob" in one of his articles. To this day, I hate Martin Luther day, and Rick Luna is still looking for his pogo stick. The photograph is self explanatory. Truthfully

Sure a good thing you didn't take Rick's luffa sponges he had laying around.

• Upvote 2

Moment of truth, Phoenix in the greek language is used to describe any palm indiscriminately while the word palm or any equivalent does not exist. Also the whole palms-group is called officially Phoenikides. The suffix kakias implies a person occupied intensely with palms or even addicted to them!

• Upvote 1

Sure a good thing you didn't take Rick's luffa sponges he had laying around.

:floor:post-1729-0-48471800-1423919208.jpgpost-1729-0-94583100-1423919250_thumb.gi

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B