IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Why the Username?

Xerarch

I have wondered at times what some usernames or avatars mean and why people would pick any given one, some are palm related, some are funny, some are enigmatic, so I thought I'd start a topic where we can share what our names mean if desired.

We'll start with mine, you'll recognize the prefix "xer" in a number of words, xeriscape, xeric, always words having to do with being dry or desert. I was born in the State of Utah, the second driest state in the union (behind Nevada), thus, I am a Xerarch, which is a person or thing from a dry or desert place.

My avatar is a picture taken in Zion national park, UT, IMO one of the most beautiful places anywhere and a reminder of my home State.

Tell us about yours!

Edited by Xerarch

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

My avatar is a photo I took of a Sabal palmetto Lisa that grew next to Interstate 75. It now resides in a Fort Myers city park with its sibling after a decision to widen the interstate.I thought it had fantastic form.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Got Palms i think self explanatory and avtar is my jungle in the suburbs of Los Angeles waiting to mature!

Well...My name is Jastin....and my avatar is showing that I love my family and garden!

• Upvote 1

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

My avatar reveals that I am a middle aged codger with a bit of mischievousness -as revealed by me wearing a ridiculously huge mustache to annoy my wife who had begged me to wear one years ago.Both of her brothers wore them-she thought I should too. But what I have done is not exactly what she had in mind! Now she wants to tame it and me ;)....Fat Chance ;)

I'm actually hopelessly optimistic.

The name is just for fun.

So is the avatar picture. That was me, in May of 2003, standing next to a Roystonea oleracea I'd planted very shortly before the picture was taken.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

This is why I call myself 3.2Whites....

Cheeeeeze-1.jpg

Cris, our oldest, on left. Keek, on right. Look at those poofy cheeks!

a54fbd44-e7e6-40f7-b9b0-4af8809c542e.jpg

Trin, our youngest, doing a victory lap after making a 'find' in tracking.

Celest11.jpg

Celest, fifteen, is from outer space.

DSC_0467.jpg

Me and Pipen having way too much fun.

Three big ones and two little ones. The white happened that way...it wasn't planned. Free fur for everybody!

• Upvote 1

Shirleypt.png

There are several mature Wodyetia bifurcata in my neighborhood--that helps determine my zone, right? :blink:

The Buccaneers won Super Bowl 37 on my 37th birthday, which explains the name (I'm a HUGE fan and have only missed going to 1 home game in the last 35 years).

I'm a big time SciFi nut and am an Aquarius, so that explains the Water Bearer in the alien skull! "Live Long & Prosper"

52% 9B / 42% 10A / 6% "Other"

Brandon.gif

Palmisland is the name of the street I live on (Palm Island Drive) & my avatar photo just reminds me of springtime :)

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Well, mine is my name with an underscore in front, since my name was taken by someone who hasn't logged in a few years now, and the pic is me in a typical garden for my zone. Not much mystery there.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

My name is Steve horn. Nickname my whole life was hornytoad or just toad for short. So stevetoad is my name. My avatar is of me and my son who is my best buddy. I picked that picture because it makes me remember how awesome it is to watch things grow.

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

My nickname in high school was Hammer. I broke a guy's leg during a football game and that is what they called me from then on. Not the nicest way to earn a handle now that I look back on it.

The avatar was taken from the deck of our over water bungalow during my wife and my honeymoon on Bora Bora. I fell in love with the island and the coconut palm trees there. That trip is what hooked me on palms.

Pangea Express is a mentality of cohesiveness between nature, humanity and the rock we live on. Like the continents that split long ago all living things separated and diverged but it is important to remember that all plants, animals, bacteria, fungi etc are in this together and there is room for all with responsible practices.

And my pic is just me smiling. :D

• Upvote 2

- Eric Arneson

lan-backyard-design-copy1.jpg

Cool topic! My name is Ben (Benjamin), my mates originally called me Benny which morphed into Kenny and then Kennybenjamin, don't know how they came to call me that? I think there might be a comedian or actor or something called Kennybenjamin?

My avatar is what I think is a great foto of an floral arrangement we created for a garden show a while back..... Kerriodoxa elegans leaf with ginger and heliconia flowers cut out of the garden.

My name is adam ,akamu is adam in the hawaiian language .My family on my moms side has been on the islands since 1828.my parents met there and my great grandfather was governor from 1929-1934. A relative of mine Dr. G.P. Judd brought the first seed of Roystonea regia from the west indies in 1850 to hawaii. I have listened to hawaiian music my whole life and my avatar is of me restoring an old tiki in our garden that came from the LUAU restuarant in LA from the 1950"s. I collect hawaiiana and got a bad palm and tropical plant addiction. I need psychological help " digging holes in the dark is not normal !!! :yay:

My name was a play on "A man about town"... which means.. "a fellow who can often be seen around the city... Particularly in the right places or with the right people. Dapper, sociable, and fashionable" <---- well, thats more aloof than I thought!

And The only small pic I had for an Avatar was of me and a car I have that I raced years back, now I keep it for "tradition". I suspect if I join a racing forum again, my avatar will be a palm.. :D

Great thread idea btw..

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

If I have to explain my user name then I’m on the wrong message board. The new pic is one of my hardy cordylines, my newest obsession.

I joined PalmTalk several years ago after being on a Alice Cooper website called "SickThings" for a few years. I had originally adopted the name because at the time I also hunted quite a bit.....the year was 2000 and thus the name.

I have always thought of my tastes in things as being eccentric/specific/exotic from my choice in music (Rush/AC and other odd groups), women (lol)(wife is Ukranian), food(eat lots of bizzare foods), pets(dobermans and african cichlids, exotic pleco's), sports surfing/karate/hunting, plants etc. I guess many of the people that have a palm facination may fall into the same category.

I have always loved the tropics, vacation feelings, and islands....it may have come from my surfing obsession when younger.....if it were not for family and business I would be living that dream. If you can't go to the tropics the next best thing is to bring the tropics to you.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

I joined PalmTalk several years ago after being on a Alice Cooper website called "SickThings" for a few years. I had originally adopted the name because at the time I also hunted quite a bit.....the year was 2000 and thus the name.

I have always thought of my tastes in things as being eccentric/specific/exotic from my choice in music (Rush/AC and other odd groups), women (lol)(wife is Ukranian), food(eat lots of bizzare foods), pets(dobermans and african cichlids, exotic pleco's), sports surfing/karate/hunting, plants etc. I guess many of the people that have a palm facination may fall into the same category.

I have always loved the tropics, vacation feelings, and islands....it may have come from my surfing obsession when younger.....if it were not for family and business I would be living that dream. If you can't go to the tropics the next best thing is to bring the tropics to you.

Love those African cichlids too. What kind(s) do you keep?

Yellow Labs, Yellow Tail Acei, Blue Dolphins, Julie's and I had some male Ruby Greens from Lake Victoria but they both died....still have 3 brown females (really hard to find this species for sale).

I try to keep some of the more docile Africans, but it is still not a very friendly tank.

Other fish include 1 Gold Nugget pleco, 1 Snowball pleco, 1 bristlenose pleco, 1 spotted Raphael catfish, 9 Columbian tetras, 4 blackskirt tetras.

The tank is 125 gallons and I filter with the largest cannister filter that Eheim makes.....can't remember the size, but it turns a massive amount of water.

And You?

Love the exotic pleco's....would really like to get more....lot's of L-numbers to collect...just have to make sure to buy species that don't get too big.

my name is rob and i like triodes.

my avatar represents how i feel at a given moment in time........

you might like my dads site then http://www.stevekuro.com/ he makes and sells art from old tubes.

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

you might like my dads site then http://www.stevekuro.com/ he makes and sells art from old tubes.

Steve. great site. I love the rocket themes. You might also suggest to him "R2D2oob" Shape seems appropriate.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Steve-

very cool web page - nice art work.

and it contains one a the best lines i have ever read on a web page.

"THIS IS NOT A REAL BOMB"

:bemused:

Edited by trioderob

Yeah man, triodes are cool....whatever the hell they are!

MattyB. Live it, love it, lerv e it

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Rob...your avitars always amuse me.....thanks for being there for my amusement...your a funny guy...just don't get all Joe Pesci (Goodfella's) on me..

Great thread. I have switched my name a few times but settled for now on Salsa King, not for the sauce or the chips and dip but for the music. Salsa music is my favorite music of all time. In my single days I would go out salsa dancing 3-5 days a week and won a few competitions here and there. A lot of my friends would tease me for my obsession and hence the nickname "salsa king" borrowed from the movie Mambo Kings.

Since I'm Cuban I grew up with salsa music and it's a big part of my culture. Salsa even helped me trick my gorgeous wife into falling for a regular looking dude like me. My friends say I spun her around too many times that she got disoriented but I like to think it's in the rhythm! Last but not least we even named our second daughter after our favorite Cuban salsera of all time - Celia Cruz

Yellow Labs, Yellow Tail Acei, Blue Dolphins, Julie's and I had some male Ruby Greens from Lake Victoria but they both died....still have 3 brown females (really hard to find this species for sale).

I try to keep some of the more docile Africans, but it is still not a very friendly tank.

Other fish include 1 Gold Nugget pleco, 1 Snowball pleco, 1 bristlenose pleco, 1 spotted Raphael catfish, 9 Columbian tetras, 4 blackskirt tetras.

The tank is 125 gallons and I filter with the largest cannister filter that Eheim makes.....can't remember the size, but it turns a massive amount of water.

And You?

Love the exotic pleco's....would really like to get more....lot's of L-numbers to collect...just have to make sure to buy species that don't get too big.

Cool. I have two tanks. One got wiped out a few months ago. I'm letting it cycle for a while and then will restock with angels, tetras and other community fish...or I may go with amazon fish. That tanks is a 125.

My 75 is a Malawi tank. Lots of yellow labs, an eletric blue (S. fryeri) and a couple other Aulonocaras. Don't recall the specific species at the moment. Also have a common pleco along with several synodontis cats.

I would like to broaden my Malawi collection with more Aulonocara and some Utaka. The fish I have now are horrible diggers. They kick sand into the filters and continually ruin impellers. So I will need a new strategy before adding.

• 4 weeks later...

I love one of my two cars (I love both) and I love to drive like a devil. :innocent:

Member of the ultimate Lytocaryum fan society :)

My user name is from my love of H.P. Lovecraft's stories of horror and the macabre. From those tale the entity of Cthulhu is HPL's big baddie living at the bottom of the pacific. I figure Funkthulhu would be his groovy brother, less likely to make you go insane or try to eat your brains. Also more handy with a tiki mug and a shaker full of rum.

As for the user pic, I play off my user name and use something rather squid-headed or the creature from the black lagoon. (in a Hawaiian shirt)

My sig quote is a variation of a quote from The Call of Cthulhu short story, describing a horrendous entity that is both "dead but dreaming" at the bottom of the Pacific ocean.

-Erik

Nebraska 5b (the bottom of the interior seaway...)

• Upvote 2

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

Easter of 2006 I planted seeds of and grew about 1500 seedlings of some random flower (Zinnias, I believe) for an Easter Service to be held at Mizner Park's amphitheater. These were given away to attendees in conjuncture with the sermon (I couldn't tell you the message today, I wasn't particularly fond with the cheesiness of that particular sermon). But doing that gave me the peabrained idea that I could grow anything and everything! Pigafettas in an herb jar on the window sill? NO PROBLEM!! :laugh: I thought palm trees were pretty darn cool, as I am in love with the tropics and the diverse flora and fauna.

I really didn't didn't think much more of it at the time...

A couple days later I was doing my thing, riding around on my beach cruiser and saw a perfect Christmas Palm triple loaded up with a dumptruck or two full of seeds. I asked the owner, who happened to be in the front yard working dilgently (the writing is always on the wall), if I could take a seed or two. He practically begged for me to take them all. I took 3 seeds home with me that afternoon. I spent the evening hunting on the internet trying to find the best way to germinate palm seeds. Came across a huge variety of palms that were rare and unusual. The obsession was starting... Came across a website called "Dave's Garden" and found this picture:

http://davesgarden.c...howimage/87473/ ohmy.gif

It was all over, I was hooked. How could anyone not fall in love?! I ended up using the sterile baggie method for the Christmas Palms. When they germinated I potted them up and had flashbacks of the Zinnia escapade and decided that if I could grow a handfull of silly little flowers and have them be used for God's purpose, that a forest of magnificent and unusual palms could surely be put to use! Eventually my searches brought me to RPS.com and I placed a huge order. Kept on the internet long enough and found out about ya'll, my palmfreak fam... So thats the story of how I came to love palms. O yeah, and how I came up with my name...

Pious is defined by Merriam Webster as showing reverence for deity and devotion to divine worship.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

I like hearing these stories from everyone, I'll bump this just to give a chance for more people to see and post.

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

Palmmermaid - I love palms and I love to dive. My license plate is MERMAID. Always wanted to find a merman so he could kiss me and turn me in to a mermaid! My granddaughter use to tell everyone I was a mermaid because I told her that. I told her my tail turned into legs and feet on land. SHe calls me Kitty and told everyone Kitty was a mermaid! I loved it! Of course, her mother was not too pleased but oh, well. Grandchildren are grand!

I don't have an avatar because I am too lazy to size a picture and put it out there.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

edbrown_III go figure

I had just taken a good picture of C. tuerkheimii -- I reckon I should up grade the avatar but lazy

This is why I call myself 3.2Whites....

Cheeeeeze-1.jpg

Cris, our oldest, on left. Keek, on right. Look at those poofy cheeks!

a54fbd44-e7e6-40f7-b9b0-4af8809c542e.jpg

Trin, our youngest, doing a victory lap after making a 'find' in tracking.

Celest11.jpg

Celest, fifteen, is from outer space.

DSC_0467.jpg

Me and Pipen having way too much fun.

Three big ones and two little ones. The white happened that way...it wasn't planned. Free fur for everybody!

I used to have a big black shepard Bear --- he died a few years back here s one of the new ones

post-562-0-34052100-1377190445_thumb.jpg

post-562-0-96989000-1377190594_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Edbrown, gosh blacks are so gorgeous! Your two are beautiful, I think the blonde one has the sweetest face... :wub:

Shirleypt.png

There are several mature Wodyetia bifurcata in my neighborhood--that helps determine my zone, right? :blink: