IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Placement of P. Canariensis and B. Armata

JonC

My first post here as I have been lurking for a short bit as I gain knowledge ofpalms that fit the bill here in Valley Center, California.

I have a pathway entrance where I placed a overgrown 24" box P. Canariensis. Its in a basin about 36" off of the path. On the otherside of this path I have a hole where a Washingtonia Robusta was removed. In that hole I am thinking of dropping in a B. Armata. There is 11' to the center of that hole. My thoughts are if I drop in a 24" box B. Armata that that the Canariensis will out pace the Armata as it reaches for the sky. I recognize I'd have to trim them upright for a bunch of years. Ultimately while being close, their heights complimenting each other once we (can walk under the Armata) and get past the gangly teenager stage. There are 2 other Canariensis' in the picture each 20' away. The 2 farthest are place 10' higher up the slope. I am hoping down the road for a full canopy, just second guessing the placement of an Armata 11' from a Canariensis.

Thanks for the feeedback.

Jon

• Upvote 1

I figure a photo may be in order

15321FrontSlope_zps4a9b14fe.jpeg

You can just see 2 of the Camariensis. The 3rd will likely go right where the Olive tree is curently. The B. armata will be just about equidistant between the to Canary's in the pic.

The Mimosa to be removed and replace with multi trunk P. Torallyi most likely. Allot of big palms in that area. I'm looking forward to the canopy.

• Upvote 1

Hi and welcome. Two questions first. 1) why remove the olive tree? Dropping too much fruit? 2) why double plant the paras? This plant gets massive and looks much better solo IMHO.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I am still a bit confused about where you put the canary....is that it up at the top of the photo? From the picture....is the pathway the stairs? If you have not placed your canary yet I would reconsider putting it 3 ft. away from the path. You already know how big those suckers get and keeping them trimmed high exposes the lethal spines at the bottom. If it were me, I would probably put the canary where you are planning to put the Brahea and vice versa. 11 ft. is a little bit close to each other and another 9 ft. would be better if possible.

If you have already placed the canary....well then you will have to work at keeping it trimmed up and the spines at the base cut off until it gets overhead. It will outgrow the Brahea I think so any kind of balance that you are hoping for may not work out...just plan accordingly. I have no experience with Brahea growth rates so others will correct me if wrong. Please don't worry about posting...everyone on here have various levels of experience and knowlege. Looks like you have a great (if not steep) area to work with. Planting on a steep slope presents its own challenges, but the reward of being able to view all your trees and plants from that angle will be beautiful.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

I also question planting 2 CIDP in that space, they get huge. Imagine the crowns of CIDP at 25-30' across, 12-15 foot radius around the trunk placement. There are lots of palms for a complementary choice to the 2nd CIDP. The armata will be happiest, most blue, with good drainage in full sun. It will be a long time before you can walk under that armata, 10+ years possibly.

Edited by sonoranfans

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Will the palms be on the same level, or will one be downhill from the other? Your photo only gives a slight idea of your described planting, but I can say with certainty that 36" clearance for P. canariensis is not near enough unless you can already walk under the crown. Keep in mind, the more you trim them, especially green fronds, the more often they are exposed to potentially fatal disease. The two will look striking together, nice contrast of color and size.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Wow, thanks for all the great input and questions. I went out snapped a few more photos to better tell the story. I appreciate all the input and since I am just starting out, would rather undo my bad ideas from the start. Again, I am looking for in the distant future a full canopy over the slope, by virtue of finances will live with the awkward teenager stage.

I'm not sure I like the olive tree in this setting; though I am open to input justifying me not replacing it with an Armata. Yes based on input above I am rethinking maby since it is 20' away from the CIDP, it might be a good place for the Armata. And the hole I want to fill on the other side of the walk could be C. Humilis, Butia Paraguayhensis or something similar.

When I put the CDIP in that palce next to the walk I based it on the size of what I thought was a CDIP lower on my driveway (900' of driveway) . Now I believe that palm maybe a hybrid.

The other CDIP in the ground is over 30' away and about 4' higher in eleveation. The Olive tree is 5' lower than the CDIP it is closest to. Maybe the Mimose witch is 45' away from them all could be a good location for another CDIP if indeed the space could handle 3. If not then 1 mule or P. torallyi? I have seen a grouping of 3 P. Torallyi and it lookes fantastic.

15321upthepathGigas_zps4d311b9e.jpeg

15321upthedrivepathentry_zps4684cf82.jpg

The senescent lemon trees will cone out soon.

15321downdrivepathentry_zps33c1bcc9.jpeg

The Mimosa with a questionable future. Would like year round canopy.

15321upthepathmimosa_zps99ccc45a.jpeg

Sorry about the rushed post spelling errors. I was looking for a preview button and figured I'd be able to edit, butit did not work out that way. Wanted it to get posted prior to me rushing out the door. Looking forward to the discussion.

I think the advice here is sound. Don't plant too much as they get huge! I love the olive tree there and think it is perfect for your setting. People pay big bucks for a tree like you have. I would lace it up and use the ground under it to plant cycads or other shade plants.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Great pics Jon, beautiful garden! I would offer that the olive tree will shade better than brahea armata. However the armata will look alot nicer. you might consider planting a blue chamaerops(cerifera?) right next to the armata, in close say 3'. As the armata grows up the base area will have a nicely growing in blue chamerops. Ive seen this done before, looks nice.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Thanks for all the great comments guys. I have been in the home for about 18 months and it is as is upon move-in. We wanted to get a feel for before we started landscaping. I just read about the "free" San Diego Gas and Electric Mimosa Trees and what a nightmare weed tree root system they have. That finalizes the deal for me. It is coming out ASAP. at just over 40' away from the CIDP's in the ground, I am tempted to do another CDIP. If it is too much I can take it out.

As to the one that is close to the pathway; could I change its orientation to instead of straight up to more diaganal (true perpindicular to the slope)? MY thinking is she would eventually right her self like others I've seen growing on slopes around here. That would essentially by me several feet of clearance as she grows away then up.

Thanks,

Jon

Hello, Jon, and welcome to our group!

Looks like you've got a great place, with lots of space.

I'd give the CIDPs plenty of room, as all have suggested, and keep the braheas in the sun as much as possible.

I would also avoid planting Parajube tor-tor in a close group. They'll grow all right, but the effect will be a bit awkward, at least in my opinion. They get really fat with time, about 3 feet across, which is fatter than a CIDP. (That said, I respect that tastes vary.)

You have a lot of space, which gives lots of possibilities.

We're having a meeting of the Palm Society of Southern California this coming Saturday, March 23, in Encinitas, which is not that far from you. We'll be touring two nice gardens, so you'll get a first-hand look at some varying palmy possibilities. There's a potluck and an auction. Come, partake of the food and fun. No need to be a member though we hope you'll decide to become one. (Up to you!) http://palmssc.org/march-23-2013-meeting/

If you have questions, shoot me a PM.

Thanks, Dave (President of the PSSC)

Here's a pic of one of the gardens:

bagley%20garden%20no.%201.jpg?format=750

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.