IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Red Garden

Kim

This area in plain view of my living room window had been taunting me for a long time. What to do, what to do? Bordering the neighbor's lot and my drive to the carport, and jammed with the logs from dead trees pushed "out of the way" years ago, it has been a design challenge. It's amazing that I found a "before" photo, because there was nothing worth photographing. This is the area in March 2012:

post-216-0-85073900-1363410385_thumb.jpg

I had a group of 14 Chambeyronia macrocarpa, half of them 'hookeri' that were bought with another area in mind. Plans can change. :) I spent a day weeding the area.

post-216-0-71707000-1363411290_thumb.jpg

The next day, Bo and I planted seven of the palms, a group of 3 and a group of 4.

post-216-0-26499100-1363411380_thumb.jpg post-216-0-21742200-1363411427_thumb.jpg

View through the living room window in the early morning light, the remaining palms anticipating liberation from their pots.

post-216-0-75350700-1363411525_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 4

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

By the end of the second planting day, the remaining 7 have been situated.

post-216-0-88575300-1363411740_thumb.jpg

All done? Not quite. Waiting in the wings were some Calyptrocalyx altbertisianus and Calyptrocalyx pachystachys, which also have red emergent leaves. Hmmm, the stars were aligning... After some discussion, it was decided that the taller of the two species would be the better fit in combination with the Chambeyronia macrocarpa. Since these were mere 1-gallon plants, we popped them in quite easily. And now that this had morphed into The Red Garden, a few red bromeliads seemed to be appropriate, so in went an Alcantarea imperialis, and a Vriesea sanguinolenta, along with a couple of contrasting green Vriesea fenestralis. Off to a good start!

post-216-0-81075800-1363412160_thumb.jpg post-216-0-32475500-1363412201_thumb.jpg

post-216-0-06458500-1363412248_thumb.jpg post-216-0-29885400-1363412301_thumb.jpg

While it looks quite rough now, as the palms grow, this area will continue to be refined and underplanted, keeping to the red theme, until it feels lush and full.

• Upvote 5

Kim Cyr

All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Beautiful work Kim, the strappy wide leaved Broms are great companions with the Chambys . The 2nd pic post 2 is fantastic viewed large to see in the background the explosive growth of some earlier plantings..the last pic is beautiful too :) Hawaii is keeping you "fit n healthy', it must be very hard to leave ? but peace of mind to know Bo is right there and whenever he feeds his palms he feeds yours? :) Pete

Kim,

That area looks great now, but it'll be absolutely spectacular when the palms get just a bit taller and are opening up red new fronds left and right. And I'm guessing there may be a few more colorful bromeliads as well at that time! And it was fun getting 19 palms in the ground! :)

Bo-Göran

PS. With close to five inches of rain since yesterday they are not about to dry out! :mrlooney:

• Upvote 1

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Hi Pete, thanks! Yes, 2nd pic in post 2 you can see my original Dypsis planting from exactly 3 years ago in the upper right corner. From the right margin moving left, you see a thriving D. canaliculata, slender Dypsis paludosa now tripled in height (and being renamed, I hear), the curly leaflets of my big D. prestoniana, and the fine leaves of D. saiintelucei.

In the very last photo, you can see some Dypsis procera along the fence and beyond them the larger palms are Cyrtostachys renda. The hedge of D. lutescens along the property line is the work of my neighbors, which makes a nice background. :)

Hey Bo, thanks for all your help! It would have taken me four days on my own to plant all those palms! Two days with teamwork is a great advantage. :) I'm glad to hear the palms are getting lots of rain! Nearly 5 inches in two days? :bemused:B)

Kim Cyr

Very nice Kim - and I think having those logs left in place will make a great visual for understory planting. - gmp

I can see the 'red' garden expanding and flowing into the 'purple' garden. The new red leaf on Calyptrocalyx altbertisianus is every bit as spectacular as C. macrocarpa, good choice.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

• 4 years later...

Doink!

New pictures, @Kim?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Let's see...  I found a couple of photos from November 2014:

5a46e6685801d_1120142.thumb.jpg.06e02192

5a46e6646145d_112014.thumb.jpg.b155e0e9e

• Upvote 6

Kim Cyr

Very nice @Kim!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Nice Kim! I planted a red garden here too...mostly New Caledonian species that have red new growth...I will be building a small timber viewing platform to admire them all once they get a bit larger. Mine will take several more years until it is anywhere near as good as yours though!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

11 hours ago, Tracy S said:

Gorgeous Kim.

Any pics Daryl?

It's all too small to make much of an impact now, so no photos would do it justice...

At risk of hijacking this thread, here is one of the palms I planted...

Burretiokentia dumassii

DSC_6179.thumb.jpg.8dc00b1294d3185cb12bf

• Upvote 4

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

A more recent photo, May 2016, but prior to weeding and cleanup.  :o

052016DSC_0256.thumb.jpg.e487d9a32867fb6

052016DSC_0255.thumb.jpg.8388f0d6aaefe38

• Upvote 6

Kim Cyr