IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

which are the most expensive palms ?

trioderob

which one's cost the most to purchase ?

I know that jubs are expensive when large and copernica too...

what else ?

I think you would have to categorize them by size. Like the most expensive.....

- In ground specimen palm

- boxed specimen

-15 gal

-1 gal

-seed

Or something like that.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

For me : Lodoicea maldivica is most expensive at every stage.

60 meters above the sea level with less than 1000 mm annual rain.

Temperature range is 16 - 38 °C , average is 28 °C approximately.

Start to collected palms , cycads and succulent plants since 2004.

Palma manus. Hands down....

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Lodoicea maldivica: I heard that you cannot(legally) get any seeds from the original island, but here and there in the tropics there are some palms producing seeds. How much might one seed cost? Just curiosity.

Bought a 5 gal Licuala mapu I thought was a little expensive @ $375. But then again I've bought many $200 and $300 cold hearty hybrid strap leaf seedlings.

Paul Gallop

Well interestingly enough - Lodoicea would probably have to be the most expensive seed, but I don't think you could even buy a 1, 5, 15 gal plant - maybe not even a boxed specimen. And I have no idea if a large in ground one could be moved. If so, that would have to be an expensive palm.

But how much could a large rare in ground specimen be worth if it can't be moved successfully?

Kona, on The Big Island

Well interestingly enough - Lodoicea would probably have to be the most expensive seed, but I don't think you could even buy a 1, 5, 15 gal plant - maybe not even a boxed specimen. And I have no idea if a large in ground one could be moved. If so, that would have to be an expensive palm.

But how much could a large rare in ground specimen be worth if it can't be moved successfully?

Don't worry I can move it... B)

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

How much to move a 20 footer from the Seychelles to Hawaii?

Kona, on The Big Island

maybe butia x coco if you can find one!

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

Nice!! Nothing like letting everyone know that the impossible, can be done--almost like a Chuck Norris round house!

Most expensive plant I have ever bought was a two year old seedling JBxQ for $150.00 (mail order) three years later I found one at a plant sell for half that price.

Most expensive big palm (24"box) Jubaea $600.00. It died two years ago with a low of 12F for three nights five days below freezing did it end. :badday:

I dunno. Searles got a 7gal something for $1000 bones... That must be one helluva palm eh... Its pictured in his sale thread.... go check it.

Brandon, FL

27.95°N 82.28°W (Elev. 62 ft)

Zone9 w/ canopy

Lodoicea maldivica hands down. Just because something is not offered for sale, doesn't mean it hasn't got a price to it. I think it's unfortunate (and hopefully would never ever happen), but there is a "magic" number that would make the government of the Seychelles dig one of the big ones out and ship it a "lucky" buyer. Whether the number consists of 6, 7, 8 or 9 figures doesn't matter. In my opinion still the most expensive palm kind.

Not to sound flippant, but speaking from strictly an economic standpoint (allocation of scarce resources), then I think Hyophorbe Amaricaulis has to be considered as there is only one on the planet (that we know of).

http://www.pacsoa.org.au/palms/Hyophorbe/amaricaulis.html

Not heard an update recently but certainly some seed were germinated a while back.

Lodoicea maldivica: I heard that you cannot(legally) get any seeds from the original island, but here and there in the tropics there are some palms producing seeds. How much might one seed cost? Just curiosity.

I purchased two seeds @$1500 + $100 each for FedEx, from a ex-forum member subsequently banned from PT.

Both sprouted and are doing very well.

Never heard from the "stump head" again, don't kno circumstances of said banning..moved on but thankful

The $300 price point is a bad one for me. "Iggy..Biccy & Mapu". Each $300...all died.

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

Licuala cordata split leaf form would be a bit exy .. and a mature Lic. mapu with a bit of trunk would be 4 figures easily.

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Licuala cordata split leaf form would be a bit exy .. and a mature Lic. mapu with a bit of trunk would be 4 figures easily.

Oh yeah? Lets see a picture of that!

I think this is what you're looking for

post-897-0-06167300-1362982863_thumb.jpg post-897-0-63613900-1362982824_thumb.jpg

Edited by rhapis

I think this is what you're looking for

cordata1.jpg mapu1.jpg

Stunning!!!

• 7 months later...

the ones in California. :winkie:

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Hey Bro. Ziff's fully mature Copernicia baileyana in Manalapan, Fl. in his jungle off A1A. One million dollars US does not obtain your attention for the purchase of one palm specimen? Are you struggling?

What you look for is what is looking