IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

growing Syagrus coronata x picrophylla F1

Mauna Kea Cloudforest

Has anyone grown these in California? I just picked up a pretty healthy and vigorous plant, I am just wondering what the hardiness is. Since it's such a rare thing, it's getting a primo spot in the garden. Sure looks like a nice palm!

SyaCorPic.jpg

See http://www.rarepalmseeds.com/pix/SyaCorPic.shtml

mine can take -2c several times, snow for one day, and shows only little damage...

regards

In my climate coronata is slightly less cold hardy than picrophylla but the main advantage of picrophyla is the considerably robuster recovery. If the hybrid retains this feat, it has good prospects.

mine are still seedlings with pinnate leaves...

...i am curious to see one large specimen...

i do not have any picrophyla, but my coronata is slower..., need higher temperatures than the hybrids for grows.

regards.

• 9 months later...

Has anyone grown these in California? I just picked up a pretty healthy and vigorous plant, I am just wondering what the hardiness is. Since it's such a rare thing, it's getting a primo spot in the garden. Sure looks like a nice palm!

SyaCorPic.jpg

Axel, any available update about this one?

SyaCorPic.jpg

Axel, any available update about this one?

This thing is awesome, grows like a weed, and looks nice and blueish. No sign of slow down so far. I'll try to take a photo tomorrow. The one I planted last February is now starting to go pinnate.

• 1 month later...

two weeks after the freeze..., about -2c two nights...day temps about 5-7c
more tender than i would like...sad news...

post-1753-0-71702200-1391244926_thumb.jp

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Are you sure you only got to -2C? That's around 28F, and both parents of this palm are hardier than that.

Don't worry Sergio, That's not only cold but a combination of cold, wet, and not adequate soil. I have a jubutiagrus that is marking with same spot without freezing temperatures...

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

hopefully!!

Definitely, if it grows in full and only in full sun! In contrast to the very common belief if there is a single chance that we have in our climate an immaculate palm, this can be done only in full sun and with pumice around the roots. This has been my experience over the decades and can not be changed easily.

hopefully!!

Definitely, if it grows in full and only in full sun! In contrast to the very common belief if there is a single chance that we have in our climate an immaculate palm, this can be done only in full sun and with pumice around the roots. This has been my experience over the decades and can not be changed easily.

Mine is in full Summer sun and is mostly shaded in the Winter. It is super vigorous and very healthy. It's planted on a hillside with pumice/lava rock around the base as I do with all palms, but the roots are in normal, sandy soil without any added pumice.

Axel, yours is in an ideal position (full sun is needed for the extreme hardening off of the fronds in view of the coming winter) and in an ideal soil. Wow to the rest of us, who have a clayish soil constantly wet and cool during winter.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Are you sure you only got to -2C? That's around 28F, and both parents of this palm are hardier than that.

hello Axel.

i am not sure, because my thermometer in the field is not very accurate...,one degree less can be possible..., but for sure very elongated in time

the same palm when it was in pot at house yard, with the same lower temp -2C(true one) remain untouched...well, may be the leaftips with some burn.

the palm was planted last year in the field, a little terrain in the island inland..., more cold than the coast and the city...

...this is the faster of a group of four, and may be there are one less cold sensitive than the others

...sunny area!!

post-1753-0-00980600-1391329185_thumb.jp

it does not look so happy...

Edited by sergiskan

Don't worry Sergio, That's not only cold but a combination of cold, wet, and not adequate soil. I have a jubutiagrus that is marking with same spot without freezing temperatures...

hello Gilles

true, some of my jubutiagrus shows spots too, but in these syagrus hybrid can be see burned leaflets, meanwhile not at jubutiagrus...

best regards

Sergi, just one question. Why have you tried out a hybrid picrophylla with coronata, since coronata is less hardier than former, and not a pure picrophylla? At least you could have probed a hybrid between picrophylla and another equally or hardier Syagrus sp like Arecastrum or glaucescens.

Sergi, just one question. Why have you tried out a hybrid picrophylla with coronata, since coronata is less hardier than former, and not a pure picrophylla? At least you could have probed a hybrid between picrophylla and another equally or hardier Syagrus sp like Arecastrum or glaucescens.

i bought seed at RPS in 2008..., my second year in this wonderful hobby...

i thought that i was in a better climate LOL..., may be my error was think who i live in a 9b area...lows about -3C -4C, but i think than my total average temps are lower than others areas classified as 9b...well, only the lower average temp as parameter to measure a hardiness zone map is not very accurate...is my thought

these are the temps in the city airport in february 2012, in my field the lows there are two degrees lower almost all days...less the colder ones fortunately!

...the high humidity levels do not help.

post-1753-0-53453600-1391335509_thumb.pn

Edited by sergiskan

There is even greater discrepancy in my climate Sergi. I am technically zone 10 but I do not even think about palms of 10. So nothing special in your garden :)

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

hello Axel.

i am not sure, because my thermometer in the field is not very accurate...,one degree less can be possible..., but for sure very elongated in time

the same palm when it was in pot at house yard, with the same lower temp -2C(true one) remain untouched...well, may be the leaftips with some burn.

the palm was planted last year in the field, a little terrain in the island inland..., more cold than the coast and the city...

...this is the faster of a group of four, and may be there are one less cold sensitive than the others

...sunny area!!

la foto.JPG

it does not look so happy...

You're being too picky, that palm looks fine to me and will keep looking better and better as it gets bigger.

• 2 months later...

now start to push the green fronds...,last winter can be say that was mild, but with a cold winter i do not know if it will survive

post-1753-0-49217500-1398493980_thumb.jp

last winter can be say that was mild, but with a cold winter i do not know if it will survive

attachicon.gifIMG_4412.JPG

Sergi I tried to grow some species of Syagrus, in mild winters, they were ok, but in colder winters ,are dead.

I came to the conclusion, that in my city only romanzoffiana is okay

GIUSEPPE

hello Gyuseppe!

...here only can see queens..., some ugly due to alkaline soils..., normally untouched during winters.

my two queens thrive well with some corrections, but no damage in winters

regards

• 3 years later...

The biggest in pot, finally found new home!

near the sea, mild winter temps, hopefully thrive  well. 

really I love the elegance about these palms.IMG_0300.thumb.JPG.f7271022082f1a845af6f

• Upvote 1