IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Rising from the ashes

_Keith

It is impossible for a cold hardy palm gardener not to push the zone occasionally, and just as impossible not to get bitten by the cold. I got away with it for many years, then in 2010 got bitten by 15 year record lows. Among the 20 to 30 palms that were lost was a pair of gorgeous triple trunked P. robellinis, they were under Live Oak cover, but the cold, 3 nights in a row at 20,19,21 was too much. Now, over 2 years after their death, it appears that one is indeed rising from the ashes. I was shocked to see this today. My robellini is rising from the ashes.

post-1207-0-12588300-1362101408_thumb.jp

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

LOL, WOW, now that is truly rising from the ashes! Or the dust anyway... I had some completely defoliated in 2007 come back, but not with the juvenile strap leaves... I am amazed.... Is it possible that this is from a seed?

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

LOL, WOW, now that is truly rising from the ashes! Or the dust anyway... I had some completely defoliated in 2007 come back, but not with the juvenile strap leaves... I am amazed.... Is it possible that this is from a seed?

Never, say never, but to my knowledge they never flowered.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

That's amazing!

-Krishna

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

• 3 weeks later...

Keith - Must be the magic in your oak leaf mulch :D

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Keith - Must be the magic in your oak leaf mulch :D

Moose, you just might be right. Decomposing mulch does generate a little bit of heat. And in a cold front, a little bit can mean all the difference in the world.

This is really awesome! I know I've had other plants die and come back from the roots, but I wouldn't have guessed a fried to the ground palm tree could do it as well! Very impressive! Thanks for sharing

Looks like there might be two there.

Good eye Tom, there are indeed two.

Hey Keith - Do you want some seedlings? I have a female in the front yard that somehow manages to get fertilized by a male in the back yard. I'm in the process of spring cleaning and will weed out all of the seedlings, but if you are interested, I will dig and pot plant them for you.

Mine did the same thing. But it was because the mother put out seeds that sprouted. It was a triple that died over two winters, but it had a nice 10 year run, right up on the side of the house until it got too tall and hit 15F in 2011. Now there is a little seedling that is going pinnate.

Edited by Collectorpalms

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)