IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

PALM SOCIETY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA MARCH 23, 2013 MEETING

DoomsDave

The Palm Society of Southern California

San Diego Meeting and Auction

Saturday, March 23, 2013 - 11:00 AM TO 3:00 PM

Phil Bergman, San Diego Chair

Our next Society meeting will be March 23, 2013 in Encinitas, CA. Encinitas is about 25 miles north

of San Diego, right off Freeway 5 at Encinitas Blvd. These two gardens are about ten minutes apart. Both are interesting gardens with lots of palm trees. Many unusual and rare species will be seen.

There will be an auction and raffle at the second garden. This will be a POTLUCK meeting, so bring a dish to share with others at the Riedler garden.

Not sure what to bring for a dish to share? Bring what you like. Whatever it is. Grandma's apple pie, aunties pho, your very own special appetizer . . . If you like it, we will too. If you hate to cook, it's okay to buy something and bring it.

There will be chairs for the general meeting. Water and soft drinks will be offered at a nominal charge. Members are encouraged to bring plants for the auction and raffle.

Members are also encouraged to bring a guest, to be a new member! If you're not a member, come anyway.

GARDEN NUMBER ONE at the home of Aaron and Sonya Bagley, 1010 San Andrade
Dr.,
Encinitas, CA 92024. Their garden was started in 2008 and has over 100
different species of palms including Dypsis Marojejeyi, Dypsis heteromorpha, Dypsis ambositrae, Dypsis robusta crossed with an unknown palm, Basselinia pancheri and many other New Caledonia palms. There are also many species of Cycads, succulents and bromeliads. The house is on a 6100 square foot lot and is built on very hard sandstone with little soil. About fifty yards of soil was brought in and mounds and raised beds were created. The garden is about a mile and a half from the coast and on a hill so it has a very good micro-climate and only a very rare frost. As this winter has been fairly cold, there is some plant damage. But, it should show quite well.

GARDEN NUMBER TWO at the home of Mark and Val Riedler, 3236 Brookside Lane,
Encinitas,
CA 92024. This garden was started in late 2003 and also has
many palms, cycads, aloes and bromeliads. The lot is basically clay but 3 feet of
sandy loam was imported when the house was built. This garden is 6 miles from the coast and
saw at least 27º in early January. This garden was last viewed by the PSSC members in July

ITINERARY:

9:30 AM: Board of Directors Meeting at the Bagley
home

11:00 AM: Members arrive at the Bagley home and
tour garden

12:00 Noon: Depart Bagley garden

12:15 PM: Arrive at Riedler home and begin touring garden

12:45 PM: Potluck lunch

1:15 PM: Begin general meeting, announcements, Auction and Raffle

3:00 PM: Adjournment

DIRECTIONS:

BAGLEY GARDEN: From Freeway 5 in Encinitas, take Encinitas Blvd east, away from the ocean. Go east for about one mile and turn right on Balour Dr. Then turn right on San Andrade Dr. to 1010 San Andrade Dr.:

RIEDLER GARDEN: From Bagley garden to Riedler Garden two: head east on San Andrade .07 mi., L on Balour Dr. .2 mi., R on Encinitas Blvd. 2.0 mi., L on Rancho Santa Fe Rd. 1.1 mi., R on Lone Jack Rd. 1.0 mi., R on Camino del Rancho .09 mi., slight L onto Brookside Lane, take 2nd L to stay on Brookside Lane. Please park on the side of the street designated for parking (due to fire lane).

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

2 great gardens! I've only seen pics of "Bags" garden, so I'm really looking forward to it.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Here's a link to the PSSC's new and improved website.

http://palmssc.org/march-23-2013-meeting/

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Been to both and well worth seeing :D:)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

It's been a few years since I have been to Aaron's garden. On 07/15/2010 I took these pics of Aarons garden.

post-1270-0-80361400-1361454343_thumb.jp post-1270-0-65081500-1361454347_thumb.jp

post-1270-0-08606200-1361454350_thumb.jp

I look forward to seeing the garden filling in and all the new stuff too.

It will be nice to see the Riedler garden too!

Randy

test

I agree, I really look forward to seeing these.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Dave,

It's fine to have this link here, but what you really need to do is to put it where it belongs and where it won't simply get lost in the shuffle - we have a Share-a-Site sub-forum. That's where the link should be for easy reference. Also, is it "Riedler" or "Reidler"? I see both spellings on the site. Always nice to get the name of the host correct... :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Ah, you're coming? Good!

see you there,dewd? :hmm:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

I would love to, but what I really meant was through the eyes of the local photographers there. :) But...I am seriously considering a long weekend trip maybe later this summer. If I could know in advance when another society garden tour was planned, this might be a great time to come out for a visit. :drool:

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I would love to, but what I really meant was through the eyes of the local photographers there. :) But...I am seriously considering a long weekend trip maybe later this summer. If I could know in advance when another society garden tour was planned, this might be a great time to come out for a visit. :drool:

Jeff

We are contemplating a major event for members only, like Dr. Darian's place.

Stay tuned.

Dave,

It's fine to have this link here, but what you really need to do is to put it where it belongs and where it won't simply get lost in the shuffle - we have a Share-a-Site sub-forum. That's where the link should be for easy reference. Also, is it "Riedler" or "Reidler"? I see both spellings on the site. Always nice to get the name of the host correct... :)

Bo-Göran

Yeah, I know, I fixed it. Dave Bliestien . . .

So, who's coming? To the meeting . . . .

Group,

Just so it's here on this thread, I am posting the directions to Aaron's garden. These directions were not printed on the Newsletter that went to members. It was a technical glitch where "page two" directions were dropped off and couldn't be changed when Mark and I published it. You'll like both of these gardens. Both Mark and Aaron were concerned about people seeing some cold damage to their gardens. But, cold weather is a reality. We want to see gardens in both March and September. I hope you enjoy both places.

Phil

Directions to the Bagley Garden:

BAGLEY GARDEN: From Freeway 5 in Encinitas, take Encinitas Blvd east, away from the ocean. Go east for about one mile and turn right on Balour Dr. Then turn right on San Andrade Dr. to 1010 San Andrade Dr.

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

So, who's coming? To the meeting . . . .

Dave is it wise to announce that ones garden will be unattended? There are thieves out there!

test

I added new pictures of the Bagley garden to amp up the excitement.

Mouth's watering already . . .

Early potluck preparations?

Edited by dalmatiansoap

Early potluck preparations?

Might include some Dalmationsoapy Stew in the potluck . . . . :drool:

I should be there, providing i can get out of t-ball soon enough.

Living in the valley of the dirt people in the inland empire, "A mullet on every head and a methlab in every kitchen." If you can't afford to live in the tropics, then bring the tropics to you!

It's been a few years since I have been to Aaron's garden. On 07/15/2010 I took these pics of Aarons garden.

attachicon.giftri county PRA 025.JPG attachicon.giftri county PRA 031.JPG

attachicon.giftri county PRA 032.JPG

I look forward to seeing the garden filling in and all the new stuff too.

It will be nice to see the Riedler garden too!

Randy

Randy,

Things have grown since your last visit. Three years makes a big difference. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone.

IMG_1965_zps5b530249.jpg

Encinitas, CA

Zone 10b

Who's coming?

PRA Team, loaded up in the PRA Action Van and on our way.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

PRA Team, loaded up in the PRA Action Van and on our way.

You left off the TM . . .