IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The 15th Annual Spring Searle Brothers Plant Extravaganza! -●●●- March 1st, 2nd, 3rd – 8th, 9th, 10th 2013 -●●- S. Florida

Palmarum

Searle Brothers Nursery, Inc. &

The Rainforest Collection ® presents...

The 15th Annual Spring Plant Extravaganza!

March 1st, 2nd & 3rd

March 8th, 9th & 10th

The spring and fall Searle Brothers Plant Extravaganzas have become a great way for IPS Members, Palmtalk Forum Members and fellow tropical palm & plant enthusiasts to come together and meet in the South Florida area. The events have always been a great way to spend a weekend in the company of those who share your passion for gardening and collecting tropical ornamental plants. To describe the events as just mere plant sales would be an understatement; as they have become much more in the form of social events for our friends and family. Forum members, friends and fellow plant collectors have all come from far and wide to attend and we are continuously surprised in the distances they will cover to share in the event. In regards to the following details, I have tried to include as much information about the upcoming Spring Extravaganza as I can. If you see something that you need to know that is missing and should be added, please post the idea(s) here or contact me, Jeff Searle or the nursery with the methods listed below and let us know...

South Florida Location:

Searle Brothers Nursery, Inc.

6640 SW 172nd Avenue

Southwest Ranches, Florida 33331

Western Broward County

*see Map below...

Spring 2013 Schedule:

Friday, March 1st - 8:00AM - 5:00PM

Saturday, March 2nd - 8:00AM - 5:00PM

Sunday, March 3rd - 9:00AM - 4:00PM

also the following weekend...

Friday, March 8th - 8:00AM - 5:00PM

Saturday, March 9th - 8:00AM - 5:00PM

Sunday, March 10th - 9:00AM - 4:00PM

Barbecue Lunch:

Our Famous Weekend Free BBQ Lunch

First Weekend: (Saturday 11:00AM - 2:00PM) & (Sunday, 11:00AM - 2:00PM)

Contact List:

Nursery Office #: (954) 434-7681

Nursery Fax #: (954) 680-2750

Nursery Website: www.rainforestcollection.com

Nursery Email: Searlebrothersnursery@yahoo.com

Jeff Searle #: (954) 658-4317 Email: palms@rainforestcollection.com

Ryan (Palmarum) Email: palmthetree@yahoo.com

Directions:

This is a general street map of western Broward County, Florida showing the location of the nursery (Palm tree symbol). Using Sheridan Street would be the best option to get to the nursery if you are heading west through the county. If you are taking the Florida Turnpike, use the Griffin Road exit from the north, or the Pines Blvd. exit from the south. If you need any additional directions, please contact the nursery, Jeff or I (Ryan). When you get close to the nursery, look for large power lines as they run east and west above the nursery. Parking is along the shoulder of 172nd Avenue in front of, and down the street from, the nursery entrance. If you intend to arrive early before sunrise (and many usually do) be wary of hard-to-see speed bumps along 172nd Avenue and there is a possibility of a speed trap as well.

scan0004.jpg

Plant Availability, Photo Requests:

For plant availability including a copy of the ever-growing list of palms, cycads and other information regarding which plants and species will be for sale, please contact the nursery, Jeff Searle or I (Ryan). The plant selection process has already begun and will continue right up to the last day before the Extravaganza, (sometimes even on the mornings of the event if the need applies.) The sale lists for palms, cycads and crotons will be made available as soon as they are completed. Special selections might be pulled for sale as requests, but only if the plants are available. There will be certain species, varieties and cultivars that will only be available in limited quantities. These rarer plants will likely sell out quickly in the morning hours, so be sure to arrange your wish list accordingly. Plant groups may have been moved around the sales area, relocated, or added in with others. In order to speed your way to your favorite plants please ask a nearby volunteer as to their location.

Like with previous events, I will be able to provide preview photos of the actual plants for sale. They will be posted in this topic for those who are interested. Send me a message or an email with the names of the plants you would like to see, including members of specific groups or genera. Sale booklets or sale lists will be made available at the Extravaganza. They will include the list of palms, cycads and crotons for sale. Holders located at both entrances to the main shade house will have the booklets on display along with other important information. As soon as I have a basic list of species and varieties for sale, I will be able to email or PM it to anyone who would want a copy. Each plant will be priced with either a lavender tag or will have the price written on the pot.

Featured Plant Groups:

The plant selection at the Extravaganza is constantly growing and changing. The largest and most diverse group is by far the Palms, of which there will be over 300 species available in various different sizes.

Palms:

Aroids:

Bamboo:

Bedding Plants:

Bromeliads:

Cycads:

Crotons:

Cordylines:

Ferns:

Heliconias and Gingers:

Orchids:

Tropical Flowering Trees and Shrubs:

Landscape Ornamentals:

Rare and Hard-to-find Exotics:

and more: There is always a chance a new & exotic species of tropical plant will make its way into the sales area.

The Sale Flyer:

The nursery will soon mail out sale flyers to everyone on our mailing list. If you are on the mailing list and do not receive one, please let Jeff or myself know. In addition, if you would like to be placed on the mailing list for future Extravaganza flyers, please send a message to me with your address.

Plant Carts:

We do provide a limited amount of carts for customers to use, but it is recommended that you bring your own plant shopping conveyance. The carts do go quickly in the morning of each day, soon after the gates open and customers make their way to the sales area. During the day when they are returned from the holding area or the parking lot, they are placed back on the concrete pad across from the register area.

Accommodations:

There is a very nice Hampton Inn within a short driving distance of the nursery. It has been used by our customers, volunteers and family members in the past who travel a long way to reach the Extravaganza and who require a comfortable place to stay. The Hampton Inn Pembroke Pines/Ft. Lauderdale West is located at the intersection of I-75 and Sheridan Street. (see map above...) If you like to inquire about the hotel, follow the link below:

Link: http://www.hamptoninnpembrokepines.com/

Information and Invitation:

If you need any more details regarding plants, directions, or anything that I have not included above, feel free to contact the nursery, Jeff Searle or myself by the methods mentioned above. Feel free to post any messages, questions, etc. in this topic. Jeff Searle, I and all the family members and volunteers look forward to meeting everyone including new and familiar Palmtalk Forum members and IPS members at the upcoming Extravaganza. Be sure to find one of us and introduce yourself. You will be sure to find other Forum members at the event as well, possibly walking right past you down an aisle or grabbing for the same plant. The entire Searle family and the masses of volunteers will be waiting to help you find that perfect plant.

We hope to see you there! :)

Ryan

South Florida

:badday: Why is it so far? why is it so much snowing here in Switzerland? Why is Sri Lanka not close to America, Australia and Hawaii?

But thank you Palmtalk! good camaraderie! :winkie:

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Can't wait Jeff. Has Ryan published the list yet?

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

Can't wait Jeff. Has Ryan published the list yet?

Not yet, it is still being worked on at the nursery as plants are being pulled and arranged. I will then get the draft when it is ready and process it into its many forms. I will be able to message it or email it out along with posting it at Palmpedia when I get it to its mostly-finished state. Not sure when that will be, but soon.

Ryan

South Florida

Ryan where is the dancing mapu, did it get sold?

Frank,

A dancing mapu is a new one for me, and nothing has been sold as the sale has not happened yet. I got the feeling there is an inside joke there somewhere. I just received the first draft of the list today so I will check if L. mapu is on it. I am in the act of turning the hand-checked list into a digital one right now and will post it on Palmpedia and mail it out to those who will/have requested it.

The set-up of the 'Ganza at the nursery is in high gear as everything is being sorted, situated and tagged. The process is on schedule as expected. I was out at the nursery today to get the lists and take photos and while there, new ideas were discussed and thrown about. Mostly in regards to re-arranging plant groups to change things up a bit.

- Thursday... The Main Shadehouse. The palms and other plants inside the main shadehouse are usually the first to get assembled as they seem to take the longest amount of time to do so. This was one shadehouse worth, as palms from the second shadehouse were in the process of being brought over. Looking east from the entrance...

DSC_0947.jpg

- A little further down, looking east...

DSC_0948.jpg

- Near the intersection looking back towards the entrance...

DSC_0949.jpg

- Near the back sections looking back towards the intersection...

DSC_0950.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- Dypsis ambositrae, 7 gal. $125.00, 1 gal. $20.00

DSC_0951.jpg

- Dypsis canaliculata, 10 gal. $400.00 - I had to back up a bit to get the entire palm in the photo. Including the pot, it is close to touching the shadecloth above.

DSC_0953.jpg

- A scale shot of the leaf bases made possible with handy cutters.

DSC_0954.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- The illustrious Cyrtostachys sp. 'Hybrid' that became popular during the last fall 'Ganza. Not as many plants available this time, with only this one large 10 gal. ($1,000.00) and a smaller 7 gallon plant for sale.

DSC_0956.jpg

- This plant is already 9 feet (3m) tall and filling out the pot with suckers. One of the largest specimens Jeff has grown so far.

DSC_0957.jpg

- Upclose and personal with the largest crownshaft, showing the unique greenish-orange striping mixed with the reddish-orange color.

DSC_0958.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Now that's really starting to show the true colors! :drool:

It has the striping of 'Apple' too!

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

Jeff,I will take the 3 Ambositraes thanks and an assortment of Licualas.., Ron and Frank can fight over the big Cyrtostachys hybrid.. :) Best of luck on your Spring extavaganza, the palms in the pics look a picture of health,and well laid out to "Attract Attention" :) Pete

- Cyrtostachys sp. 'Hybrid', 7 gal. $350.00 - I walked down to the second shadehouse to take some photo requests, as the plants were being pulled and placed on the sidewalk for transit.

DSC_0959.jpg

- This is the only 7 gallon C. sp. 'Hybrid' for sale. I would tell you how long ago this plant was a mere 1 gallon, but you would probably not believe me.

DSC_0960.jpg

- Back inside the main shadehouse, I took another angled view down the sidewalk. The weather was perfect this week, after exiting a rather cold weekend.

DSC_0961.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- Dypsis crinita, 10 gal. $175.00 - The newly emerging, rose-burgundy leaf of one of the quad set of stems, shown today but will fade by next weekend. Ignore the fuzzy intruder.

DSC_0962.jpg

- With a set of branched stems, you know the color will come more often.

DSC_0963.jpg

- Hairy.

DSC_0964.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- Here comes the next load. With Carlos at the helm, Jeff rides in on the back of the tractor as they bring in a load from the second shadehouse.

DSC_0966.jpg

- "Whoa!" Stop and unload, repeat. As Jeff finds a spot to place a group, they stop and he places them. For the majority this is their final position until they get sold during the sale (or get moved to a better spot by someone else).

DSC_0967.jpg

- They stop at the intersection to unload some of the gallons and smaller three gallons for the tables.

DSC_0968.jpg

DSC_0969.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- Ptychococcus paradoxus, 3 gal. $45.00

DSC_0970.jpg

- A closer view of one red emergent leaf.

DSC_0971.jpg

- Wider shot showing two red leaves as two plants were putting on their show at the same time. The new leaves are quite shiney, resulting in a brightly lit exposure.

DSC_0972.jpg

- Another load, this time, unloading just past the end of the sidewalk.

DSC_0974.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- Dypsis basilonga, 10 gal. $300.00 - A particularly bright and robust specimen.

DSC_0975.jpg

- The colorful apex, showing a light lavender, glaucous, newly unfolding leaf along with a wax covered leaf base and petiole.

DSC_0976.jpg

- Chalky white crownshaft sitting on top of a black-ringed trunk. Those rings could use a wash next week.

DSC_0977.jpg

- The unmistakable, uniquely wider and longer than usual, pendulous basal leaflets.

DSC_0978.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- Dypsis prestoniana, 10 gal. $350.00 - 7a gal. $125.00 - 7b gal. $100.00

DSC_0980.jpg

- The larger 10 gallon size specimen with a handy 5x7 sign holder for scale.

DSC_0981.jpg

- Four plants in the group. The 7 gallon on the far right is the larger (7a) size.

DSC_0982.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- Not a plant for sale, but a good photo moment. On the way to the Small Fiberglass shadehouse to gather more palms, I took a moment to photograph this Saraca declinata that was in significant bloom. This flower cluster was blooming right off a branch.

DSC_0987.jpg

- Most of the entire tree, growing in the area between the seed house and fiberglass house, what is the back part of the holding area. That spiny trunk off to the left belongs to an old and tall Aiphanes minima.

DSC_0990.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

I recently completely the first draft of the Croton list and posted it over at Palmpedia. The Palm list takes a while longer, but it is being worked on.

Ganza topic with Plant info - Croton List

Palmpedia Link:

http://www.palmpedia.net/forum/showthread.php?3608-Searle-Brothers-Spring-2013-Extravaganza!-Plant-Info

Ryan

South Florida

The first draft of the Palm and Cycad list is now ready for viewing. I have started sending it out to those who have requested it and have posted it over at Palmpedia.

Ganza topic with Plant info - Palm and Cycad List

Palmpedia Link:

http://www.palmpedia.net/forum/showthread.php?3608-Searle-Brothers-Spring-2013-Extravaganza!-Plant-Info

Ryan

South Florida

WOW!!!!

At least one Swiss enjoyed your palms!! The FELCO garden scissor!

I would like to come soon and go back handful of palms! but so far!

End of march I'll see my seedlings from the fruits collected in december.

regards

Philippe

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

- The set-up for the Extravaganza is well underway and on schedule. In the latter part of today (Monday) I went around to take more photo requests and photos in general. The tables have always been a focal point for the rare and exotic and also for the smaller plant groups that do not have a larger member on the sidewalk.

DSC_0991.jpg

- The traditional table occupants have been 1 gallon sized plants, or simply "one gallons". But as it has become beneficial to grow certain species in different sized pots, the tables now play host to all sizes, including 2 inch and up to 3 gallon.

DSC_0992.jpg

- Masoala madagascariensis, 2 gal. $45.00

DSC_0993.jpg

- The Outer Limits, of the shadehouse sidewalk. A view of the full sun palm section, viewed from the shadehouse side entrance.

DSC_0994.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- Out along the main road, looking from the full sun palms down to the far section of landscape ornamentals.

DSC_0995.jpg

- Turning around to the left and looking west...

DSC_0996.jpg

- Further down, I was checking out the Bromeliads when I had to move out of the way for Naftali driving by, so I took this shot looking down the road to the east.

DSC_0997.jpg

- Bromeliads can be very bright when they want to be. Androlepis skinneri, 7 gal. $60.00

DSC_0999.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- The landscape ornamental section is just about done at this point. A few more plant groups usually end up squeezed in somewhere. This was taken at the beginning of the section, where the main road meets the side road.

DSC_1000.jpg

- A view looking over the block of full sun landscape palms across from the holding area. Not the best lighting, but I will take more photos.

DSC_1001.jpg

- The day was coming to an end so a load of Petra crotons ($20.00) on route to the main road would wait here until tomorrow.

DSC_1003.jpg

- Beans, beans the magical fruit... the more you eat, the more you... well you know. This is one weekends' worth.

DSC_1004.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- The supplies for the 'Ganza begin to arrive and pile up. This is maybe, 2-3 days worth of water. The smaller bottles are actually a good idea, if you ever have the choice.

DSC_1005.jpg

- Crotons, photographed from ground level...

DSC_1006.jpg

- Crotons, same spot, photo taken while standing on a chair. A few inches makes a difference. That sounded wrong.

DSC_1007.jpg

- Copernicia glabrescens, 3 gal. $30.00

DSC_1008.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- Copernicia beteroana, 10 gal. $100.00

DSC_1009.jpg

- Copernicia curbeloi, 15 gal. $200.00

DSC_1010.jpg

- Jeff brought back an assortment of handmade pots and other items from Thailand to be sold at the Extravaganza. A chance for others to get a piece of Thailand, without the long flight.

DSC_1011.jpg

- 'eh, meoww' It is late afternoon, time for cat food. His name is Moe I believe and he comes out at this time each day to look for his food.

DSC_1012.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Ryne, how old is the10gal Cyrtostachys sp. 'Hybrid? I'll believe you as I have a large 7 gal Cocothrinax boschiana that's 15yrs old not to mention my Cocothrinax garciana that's i just potted up to a 7gal pot that's 16yrs old from seed.

Paul Gallop

Gallop

Ryne, how old is the10gal Cyrtostachys sp. 'Hybrid?
I'll believe you as I have a large 7 gal Cocothrinax boschiana that's
15yrs old not to mention my Cocothrinax garciana that's i just potted up
to a 7gal pot that's 16yrs old from seed.

The records were double checked today, and it has been 3.5 years from when that 10 gal. C. sp. hybrid was in a 4 inch pot.

Mandrew968

That Copernicia curbeloi looks an aweful lot like a gigas...

C. curbeloi is closely related to C. gigas first of all, and some Copernicia species look similar, especially as a small plant. The palm for sale is from the same seed batch as the large specimens currently residing in Jeff's yard, and they look distinct.
Ryan

South Florida

- I got a request for orchid photos, in a way a quick preview as to what was on display. They range from $20 to $25 each and they each have a lavender price tag.

DSC_1029.jpg

DSC_1030.jpg

DSC_1031.jpg

- Spots.

DSC_1032.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- Jeff holds up one of the large Vandas that have a set of bloom spikes emerging from the leaf bases. Some of them have two spikes, which could each yield 8 large purple flowers or more. I have one in my yard from a similar batch from a year earlier that had 1 inflorescence with 15 flowers on it.

DSC_1033.jpg

- The red dots on this one reminded me of Morse code. Maybe a message from the breeder.

DSC_1034.jpg

- (staples booklets together while simultaneously posting photos)

DSC_1035.jpg

DSC_0001.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

DSC_0007.jpg

- There are a lot more orchids on display, this was just a random sample of what plants had their flowers open already.

DSC_0008.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- The display area up front featuring items Jeff brought back from Thailand was complete. For those of you who attended the 2012 Biennial in Thailand, some of them probably look familiar.

DSC_0009.jpg

- Some customers ask to buy cut pieces of bamboo, so that is why they are there.

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

- Another view of the landscape palms.

DSC_0012.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- A new item this spring, bedding plants. Customers have asked and inquired about bedding plants in the past and it was decided to give it a try. This was one cart load placed up front to get attention. I am laminating the sign for that cart right now, actually. Many, many colors of New Guinea Impatiens. $1.50 ea.

DSC_0013.jpg

- I got a few requests for Bromeliads so I am grouping them together in this series of shots across the now ready section.

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

- Next to where the Bromeliads are located, the new bedding plants were placed in their groups. We are still working out the set-up and going through different ideas.

DSC_0021.jpg

Ryan

South Florida